Yellow tint on the bottom of the screen

I have a slight yellow tint towards the bottom of my screen, it affects about 1/5 of the screen.

Yellow tint on the bottom of the screen

naike naike
 /  edited June 30
I have a slight yellow tint towards the bottom of my screen, it affects about 1/5 of the screen.
It is only visible it light backgrounds, like the keyboard or the settings menu.
Is this something that will be fixed via software or should I ask for a replacement?

Comments

• vibhor vibhor
    ✭✭✭  /  edited May 25

This is a common issue faced by almost all users and pretty popular in china. It might be present in all units where it went unnoticed by few users.
    Not sure if its hardware issue or something which can be fixed by software update.

• wilson shrestha wilson shrestha
    ✭✭✭  / 

Hello @Vibhor is this issue present only in China? I believe its a software issue since Nokia 7 Plus has a LCD screen. I think they just need to do some display adjustment and push out an update on all the devices to fix this.

• vibhor vibhor
    ✭✭✭  /  edited May 21

This is present in indian units as well. There is another thread for the same discussion. Since this is a first device from nokia with 6'' screen , may be the screen itself is faulty , or can be fixed with firmware update of screen.

• naike naike
     / 

From what I've heard it seems the issue is not 100% same on every unit, so I believe a "one fix for all" will not have the same effect on each unit, I hope Nokia will allow for a bootloader unlock, and we can start working on a fix on our own, to maybe target the yellow-ish area individually.

My tint is minor, but still noticeable on white and bright screens, but it seems this issue is somewhat common, so I dare not get mine replaced.

My unit is European.

• wilson shrestha wilson shrestha
    ✭✭✭  /  edited May 21
    This seems like the same kind of issue that the Google Pixel 2 devices have faced. It also had multiple number of issue with the display with different users facing different problems. However Pixel 2 XL had a pOLED screen and Nokia 7 Plus has a LCD screen. I don't know what difference will it make on the process of solving these display issues. Google fixed their problem with a software update so I think Nokia can too. And also Nokia 7 Plus 's issues seems minor over Google Pixel 2 devices.
  • daniel  g m daniel g m
     /  edited June 7

This is what the response they gave when I contacted customer care regarding the yellowish tint.

In response to your concern regarding in Nokia 7 Plus, we would like to inform you that kindly follow below mentioned steps:

1. Dial *#*#372733#*#* 

2. Click on pixel color test and check it.

3. Try to perform Factory Data Reset (After taking proper backup of all your important data).

4. Visit service center to perform software update after taking proper backup and with original bill and there should no physical liquid cosmetic damage in device else warranty will be denied by service center side .

For nearest Service Center location kindly visit: https://www.nokia.com/en_in/phones/support/care-center-locator .

However, if still facing any issue we request you to kindly visit the Service Center and call us our Nokia Mobile Care at the Toll Free Number 1800-102-8169 so that we can assist you in best possible manner.

And they closed the complaint even without asking me if it was fixed or not.

• vibhor vibhor
    ✭✭✭  / 
    This is the standard service response you can expect from any customer care. At most you can get the device replaced from nokia if it cannot be resolved by service center.
    Them also this issue mat be there in the replacement unit.
  • daniel  g m daniel g m
     /  edited June 7

So you are suggesting we have to keep on requesting replacements for our phones till we find one with no issues ?

• daniel  g m daniel g m
     /  edited June 7

We brought phone worth Rs 26000 and now we have to run around to service centers at our cost to fix the display which is not our fault.

• naike naike
     /  edited May 21

I would like to hear if Nokia will be addressing this issue with software updates, or if this is a hardware defect, and the only way is to get it replaced, because in that case, I better start getting replacements.

• vibhor vibhor
    ✭✭✭  /  edited May 21
    This is not acceptable. I don't think replacing the unit will resolve this issue as many devices have this common people. At most service center can hard reset or replace the screen. In worst case they will go for replacement. If this is really an issue with the display you may get a perfect unit in case you are lucky.
    But looking at the current state we can hope for a software update for the fix.
  • ScaRzggggg ScaRzggggg
     / 
    Hello guys,
    I'm facing of the same issue. I would expect that Nokia will hear us and is going to do something if it can be managed by a software update ... To add more information, the phone has been bought in France, so it seems that's a world wide problem ...
  • steve steve
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Are you sure it's not a backlighting issue ? Looks like uneven back illumination of the screen ..mine seems ok for now, probably a very very light off tint , but as I don't like the handset I'm not too fussed
  • daniel  g m daniel g m
     / 

If it is an uneven back-lighting issue, I believe, it can be fixed via software with a display firmware rewrite.

If thats the case, then it can be fixed via an OTA.

• vikas vikas
    ✭✭  /  edited May 22
    Same issue was with Google pixel phone also but it was solved with ota
  • daniel  g m daniel g m
     / 
    Has anyone tried a hard reset ? I contacted customer care this mornig and they suggested me a hard reset. If that doesnt solve, then they suggested that I should visit Nokia Care for a Software reflash.
  • ScaRzggggg ScaRzggggg
     / 
    if they say that, it should not be a hardware issue, I hope so.
    I did not try a hard reset so far, I think I will wait a little bit. If someone did it, please give us a feedback :)
  • naike naike
     / 
    It's definitely a hardware issue, I did a hard reset, flashed Android P, same thing, then flashed back to Oreo, same thing.
  • ScaRzggggg ScaRzggggg
     /  edited June 23
    I would like a straight answer from nokia. That's simple : is it a hardware or software issue ?
  • ajit bagal ajit bagal
     /  edited May 22

Most of the Nokia 7 plus user , through out the glob facing the same issue .I personally having the same and I have replaced the same with the purchased centre . You need to visit the service centre and get the letter for replacement(If your device is purchased in last 15 days) which need to submit at purchase centre, else you need to surrender the same to the service centre and they will call back once spare part is available for replacement . It is definitely hardware issue .

• naike naike
     / 
    Did anyone get theirs replaced with a unit without this issue?
    If so I will do the same.
  • daniel  g m daniel g m
     / 

I am also considering screen replacement from service centre.

Because 2 times, Nokia Customer support suggested me this.

I got in touch with the service centre.

They said they will try reinstalling the OS first and check. 

If that doesn't solve it, then they said they will replace the display.

They said spare display are not available to them yet. 

They also said I can continue using the phone till the display arrives and when it arrives, they will contact me and replace the display in a day's time.

• Bulls6 Bulls6
     / 
    I think its a hardware issue. Not the hardware itself, just that they probably have rushed the production and thus there's a minor fault in "gluing"/sticking the screen.
    But I do think they properly test their phones before shopping so, most probably, it may be a software issue too just like in the Pixel. Can be fixed via OTA.
  • daniel  g m daniel g m
     / 

I visited Nokia Care today. They reflashed the OS. The yellow tinting is still there. 

They don't have new display at the moment. I gave my contact details. They said they would contact me once parts arrive (15 days they are saying). Removing, fixing and setting up the display will take a whole day, they said.

• vibhor vibhor
    ✭✭✭  / 
    This issue definitely cannot be resolved with hard reset or software reflash.
    Either it's an screen issue or calibration which can be resolved over an OTA update. Based on the inputs given by few users about google pixel , I hope for an OTA update as a resolution.
  • daniel  g m daniel g m
     / 

I am also hoping for an OTA fix.

• naike naike
     / 
    @Daniel G M
    Which country are you in?
    Also how did you contact Nokia directly or an authorized shop?
  • daniel  g m daniel g m
     /  edited May 22

@naike I am from India. I contacted Nokia support through the built in app. Then later on I called their toll free number. I provided them with my details and they gave me address of nearest Authorized Nokia Care Centre.

• naike naike
     /  edited May 29

Here's mine.

I took some readings with my monitor calibrator and the difference is very substantial, so it's not just my eyes.

Here are the readings (according to Wikipedia a difference of >5 is already massive and is not perceived as the same color anymore):

I already contacted my reseller, let's hope they are willing to replace the unit right away, otherwise I might just return the phone and wait off for something better..

• daniel  g m daniel g m
     /  edited May 29
    @naike Thanks for sharing your findings. This proves that there is indeed somehing faulty with our displays. Hope people from Nokia reads this forum and take necessary action for thise affected.
Prev1