NFC issues - Page 3

Im not sure why some need to hold their phones at funny angles to get NFC to work.

NFC issues

Comments

• Im not sure why some need to hold their phones at funny angles to get NFC to work. Although I had issues with it actually working in 8.0 with Android Pay, it was never anything to do with how I held the device at the terminal - it works just as with any other device for me in that I just need to hold it nearby and it works. No need to hold it on its end or near the camera lens or anything like that.
  • citlee citlee
     / 

Just wanted to say that yep, user1515274512611 seems to have nailed it with the unlock methods. I had issues on Android 7 and the same issues on 8, and have been toggling NFC off and on again in an attempt to make it work. Hitting the power button before unlocking does indeed make all the difference, for me at least.

The only location that works for me for reading tags is over the rear camera area - so long as part of the tag antenna is over any part of the rear camera (from the top lens to the flash LED) tags seem to work. I haven't got a chance to experiment with Android Pay terminals in quite the same way as NFC tags, though, and I have no end of hassle trying to pay-by-tap. I get no response to having tags placed on the top edge of the phone, at any angle.

• user1507208628483 user1507208628483
    ✭✭✭  /  edited February 2018
    Just so all of you know, NFC is fixed in the Oreo 8.1 Beta. It doesn't have any show stopping problems if you want to move on to it but you may experience slightly worse battery life due to a kernel bug preventing the CPU from throttling down and going into deep sleep. Hopefully this will be rectified before they push a stable.
  • I can't use Tap&Pay on Oreo 8.1 when using SEQR as payment app. I have not been able to test Android Pay due to not available in Sweden. If the NFC is fixed in Oreo 8.1 have you tested payment via NFC successfully in Oreo 8.1?

I used SEQR Tap&Pay daily in Oreo 8.0 without problems, after upgrading to Oreo 8.1 I have not been able to use Tap&Pay at all. The closest I have been is when one card reader reported unsuccessful the others have stopped reacting to the phone at all.

I would like to know if there is anyone using NFC payment with Oreo 8.1?

• manu manu
    ✭✭  / 
    I do use NFC for paying in Denmark.
    I had a lot of problems before, both to pay and read tags. But it seems that Oreo 8.1 has solved all my issues. Since I installed this beta I have pay in more than 10 different places without problems, and without all the tricks as turn off/on NFC.
    No problems, now it works fine. I use Nordea wallet.
  • Been using it with android pay in 8.1 and it works perfectly every time. The beta has now closed so stable should be pretty soon.
  • Finally NFC is fixed on Oreo 8.1, no need to remember to unlock using PIN instead of fingerprint reader so I can read my NFC tags or use Google Play.

• sualfons sualfons
    ✭✭  /  edited November 2018
    Same here. Payment per NFC works occasionally with the app of my Bank (Germany's Sparkasse have an app of their own). It never worked with GPay installed in parallel (I have triggered the Sparkasse app devs on that...now I find my phone being a bummer on that feature yet again.... Oh, I hate my Nokia 8!). And I have just now once successfully used Android Beam by regarding the hints in this thread where the NFC Antenna is located. I can state, it works intermittendly but the NFC Antenna is so weak, I would title it "CFC" for Close Field Communication or even "TFC" for Touch Field.....
  • terminusaquo terminusaquo
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Never had an issue with NFC. As others have stated you just need to know where the antenna is placed, right over the top of the battery on the Nokia 8.
  • mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Never had an issue with NFC. As others have stated you just need to know where the antenna is placed, right over the top of the battery on the Nokia 8.
    Me neither, its always worked fine with the Barclaycard app for NFC payments.
  • Same issue here. It was working well since I had started using GPay but nowadays it has started to fail every time. I'm using GPay as always but at this moment, I have got 4 miss payments in a row.

I'm very disappointed with NFC performance of this mobile.
  • petrus petrus
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hello @mikote2000 ,
    I've had the same problem and helped me the following:
    1. Settings-battery- Background activity management  and Google Pay turn off the blacklist.

2. Settigs- battery- three dots battery optimization- show all apps - sherch NFS service and switch to Not optimised

3. after the settings, restart your phone.

I hope to help.
  • petrus said:
    Hello @mikote2000 ,
    I've had the same problem and helped me the following:
    1. Settings-battery- Background activity management  and Google Pay turn off the blacklist.

2. Settigs- battery- three dots battery optimization- show all apps - sherch NFS service and switch to Not optimised

3. after the settings, restart your phone.

I hope to help.

Hi @petrus, thanks for your help. I had applied these settings a few months ago and they worked. I have checked settings now and they seem to be correct.

I guess that the issue it's related with November 18 update or the like because, before this four issues in a row, I payed wherever I wanted without any problems.

Maybe December or Android Pie update will fix NFC although I'm not quite sure about that.

• LennartB LennartB
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Weird, i've had issues before 8.1 but it's been pretty much fine after 8.1, also after the november 2018 update.
  • petrus petrus
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited December 2018
    @mikote2000 ;try using the Send Feedback link in Google Pay. Maybe they will help you.
  • nunoxyz nunoxyz
    ✭✭  / 
    Hello,

I have a Nokia 8 and I don't have any issue with NFC. I use it every day from door opener, payments and data transfer. Until now no problems found. 

Waiting for some Pie :) 
  • @petrus I've sent a feedback from Google Pay app. I hope they could help me. In the afternoon I'll try to use Android Beam send or receive some data with Android Beam in order to discard hardware issues.

Thanks to all for your comments