No Miracast, the downside of Android One?

Hi everyone, I recently looked into the issue of HMD's Nokia phones apparently not supporting Miracast.

No Miracast, the downside of Android One?

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭✭  / 
Hi everyone,

I recently looked into the issue of HMD's Nokia phones apparently not supporting Miracast. This is a feature that many people want (and expect) their phone to have and it's very surprising to them when they discover that it doesn't work on a Nokia.

It appears that HMD are sticking very strictly to the rules for the Android One programme. The first phones which HMD released did support Miracast: https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/8103/mirrorcast-miracast/p1

However, no Android One phone have been certified for Miracast, which suggests that HMD are capable of enabling this support but chose not to do it for Android One phones. Then, very unfairly, they disabled the Miracast support in the Nokia 5, 6 and 8 even though these are not Android One phones!

We know that Google removed Miracast support from Android to promote their proprietary Chromecast solution. This makes business sense for them - they have a near-monopoly on smartphone OSes and they want to use that to force people to use their services with their other devices too: If people need a TV to support Chromecast to be able to cast to it, then the TV manufacturers will need to pay Google to certify it. I don't like this business practice (and in the EU it may get challenged, I don't know about elsewhere) but it is what they are doing.

However, why do HMD have to support this anti-competitive practice by Google? Is Android One so strict about what is supported and what isn't? What do HMD gain from this? Personally I think HMD would be better off adding support for everything which they think the customers want and wait for Google to challenge them instead of being overly cautious and not supporting these non-Google things.

It appears that Miracast may get reenabled in HMD's non-Android One phone when they are updated to Android 9, but we need to wait and see. If you have a Nokia 5, 6 or 8 and you need Miracast to work then I suggest contacting support directly to encourage them to reenable this feature.

Until then, there are some solutions you can try in this thread: https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/22177/solution-to-cast-screen-without-chromecast

Cheers :)

Comments

• wilson shrestha wilson shrestha
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    @madbilly This is one of those times where the question arises " Was Nokia right on the decision choosing Android One Programme in the first place?". Now, that we know Android One programme is so strict in its ways of handling things but however we are still not clear whether its mandotary for Nokia to follow these rules or not. They maybe just going where the ship sails or maybe Android One program is actually strict. This must be the reason why Nokia doesn't customize their phones even to the slightest even where it is really necessary. We really expect clear answer from Nokia on this subject.
  • naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @madbilly
    I don't think they disable Miracast on purpose. It's sad to say, but I think they just don't want to (or not capable?) go into and alter the code derived from AOSP.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    AFAIK AOSP support for Miracast was removed in v5 or v6, so HMD must have intentionally enabled it in the OS versions which were used for Wi-fi Alliance certification as they were v7. Therefore, they must have the skills and it's strange that they didn't keep this enabled in v8.

Personally, I think if a device is certified for something then updates should not break that certification. I don't know how the certification agencies feel about this - I may ask them :D
  • petrus petrus
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @madbilly ;
    Thank you for this information. Again I learned something interesting.
  • I am using Nokia 6.1 TA 1089 , 3/32 (Black-Copper). Unable to connect with my Sony bravia Miracast support Tv.Shows connecting status in tv and mobile, but finally registration failed message is shown. Why don't they support miracast?? Lower end phones support this feature. Nokia and google jointly cheating customers. Please enable Miracast.

• I am using Nokia 6.1 TA 1089 , 3/32 (Black-Copper). Unable to connect with my Sony bravia Miracast support Tv.Shows connecting status in tv and mobile, but finally registration failed message is shown. Why don't they support miracast?? Lower end phones support this feature. Nokia and google jointly cheating customers. Please enable Miracast.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    @Jerin J Mathew no need to shout!

Which version of Android is your phone running on? Elsewhere on the forum people are reporting that Miracast works on Android 9.

If you're on Android 9 and you still can't get casting to work to your tele then I suggest you ask in the forum specific to you phone (6.1+).
  • wyk wyk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Google's main power is the stock essence ...in android OS...altering anything doesn't give the pixel feelings. ..& adding anything extra also demands technical support from HMD. ..which i feel is too weak except the workless chat support. 
  • nitheesh nitheesh
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @Jerin J Mathew I have tested the miracast on my MI TV with my Nokia 8.1 and 6.1 Plus, and it's working fine for me. For more details: https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/40096/good-news-screen-cast-is-working-fine

I think you have 6.1 and I didn't test the same on that device.

• DibyaXP DibyaXP
    ✭✭✭  / 
    On Android 9 pie Nokia enabled it.
    Just keep wifi enabled while using cast.
  • I have a 3.1 plus and two Roku smart TVs. I use the rokify app to cast my videos. You can search through entire phone as well. Even specific apps like Showbox. I don't use cast button on my phone I use the option in the app, select which TV to connect and voila. No lagging either. Works perfect. Just make sure you're on the same network and have a good connection. Chromecast is crap. Always cuts in and out. Found this to be useful thought if  you have a Roku TV.