New developments in OZO Audio

Hi everyone Lhanks for LoveNokia.net I learned about new developments in OZO Audio which Nokia have been making.

New developments in OZO Audio

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭✭  / 
Hi everyone :)

Lhanks for LoveNokia.net I learned about new developments in OZO Audio which Nokia have been making. these new features have been announced at CES and tweeted by OZO Audio. As well as Focus, 3D and Zoom Nokia have announced Windscreen and Audio Tune. Windscreen can remove wind noise from a recording. Audio Tune is apparently a set of editing tools, maybe in a smartphone app?

There's more detail on LoveNokia.net so I'll just let you read their website: https://www.lovenokia.net/2019/01/nokia-ozo-audio-revamps-audio-recording-experience-on-smartphones.html?m=1

I hope that these developments can be brought to older HMD Nokia phones by way of a software update (stable and complete of course ;) ). We may even see them on a certain forthcoming flagship! And LoveNokia.net remind us that OZO Audio is not exclusive to HMD's Nokia phones, so it may even appear on other smartphones...!

Cheers :smiley:
Tagged:

Comments

• user389 user389
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Interesting indeed, but I fear too nerdy for most and with some hurdles:
    The current HMD camera apps for Nokia phones encourage users to take pictures and record videos while holding the phone vertically. HMD and Google can argue this is the best way to hold the phone for the AR stuff they've decided to promote, and for easier one handed operation of the phone, but ...
    OZO surround only works when the phone is held properly landscape / horizontally. Audio is recorded in mono, albeit 2 channels and the usual high quality and bitrate, when a Nokia 8 is held vertically.
    HMD will have to add more microphones along the side of the phone before most users will notice the difference in their vertical video recordings.
    The new OZO technology could also make a big difference in both affordable and more expensive camcorders, if anybody still buy any of those!
    --
    Hans
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    @user389 Thanks Hans for the extra detail, I like the nerdy stuff! I didn't know that about vertical vs horizontal, I'll pay better attention when I'm filming now.
    Cheers :)
  • @ hans
    Those mics sure would be appreciated but... My solution is to feed Spatial audio via USB from a Zoom H2n recorder as an external mic (well I did until I dropped the Zoom and its USB socket fell off the print board). The mic is powered by the phone and drains very little. The sound is excellent and you can adjust the gain, choose XY or M/S stereo (adjustable between mono and 150 degrees), 2- or 4-channel sound as well as Spatial. Clumsy solution? Well, yes...
  • Oh yes, and I can put fur (aka. a dead cat) on my Zoom to drastically reduce wind noise.
    I have tried various ways of covering the Nokia 8s own mics, one using natural sponge. I even managed to avoid covering the Colour lens. It works, but I must have looked pretty silly struggling to hold it all in place...
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    user1536323754226 for your sake I hope that HMD can bring the new OZO Windscreen to the Nokia 8!
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭  / 
    A (selectable) 80Hz hi-pass filter in OZO recordings would also be useful.
    user1536323754226  - thanks for the hint regarding Zoom H2n, it's amazing what they can pack into a relatively small device nowadays.
    Video recording in the 1980's was clumsy and expensive:
    Which is probably the reason I generally appreciate the Nokia 8 camera despite its software shortcomings more than most others in the forum ;-)
    (I only borrowed the 3kg camera and 5.7kg recorder a few times).
    --
    Hans
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    Oh! Home video filming was so different in the past. Young people now will never know the frustration of not being able to edit something except by trying to record a new take over the top of the old one! And the joy of getting it right :smiley:

they will also not fully appreciate the joy of making mix-tapes ;)
  • hughmnyksj hughmnyksj
    ✭✭  / 
    Yea, the wind filter would be really good, and OZO being designed the way it is, it is probably effective.
    Broke my Zoom the other day by dropping it on the usb cable still plugged in. Accentuates the golden rule of filming: keep it simple!