Front cam ,16mp?

I tested today the Google camera app and Nokia camera app, is the front camera on Nokia 7plua really a 16mp shooter,or its just a dummy setting in the Nokia app, the pictures are no where as it should be for a 16mp camera ?

Front cam ,16mp?

Sameer Mehta Sameer Mehta
✭✭  /  edited June 10
I tested today the Google camera app and Nokia camera app, is the front camera on Nokia 7plua really a 16mp shooter,or its just a dummy setting in the Nokia app, the pictures are no where as it should be for a 16mp camera ?
Google camera app settings 4mp 4 is to 3 ratio
Nokia camera app settings 16mp 4 is to 3 ratio
Results pictures are way better with Google camera

Comments

• BatManiac BatManiac
     / 
    I have tested many device-info apps, and each of them showed the same specs: Front Camera: 3.888 MP
  • Sameer Mehta Sameer Mehta
    ✭✭  / 
    Can anyone from Nokia confirm this ?this is a real pain for such a good device to messed up camera specs and maybe false information
  • BatManiac BatManiac
     / 
    At the MWC 2018 Juho Sarvikas explained while he was announcing the Nokia 7 Plus: "The front camera features an adaptive sensor technology we combine 4 pixels into one super pixel so that we can deliver those beautiful bothies even in the lowest light conditions" and this is why the sensor shoots 4MP photos there is no such thing as upscaling photos from 4MP to 16MP.
    youtube-link: https://youtu.be/BaUh9HgjJtQ?t=29m19s
  • BatManiac BatManiac
     / 

On MWC 2018 Juho Sarvikas explained that while he was announcing the Nokia 7 Plus: "The front camera features an adaptive sensor technology. We combine 4 pixels into one super pixel so that we can deliver those beautiful bothies even in the lowest light conditions" and this is why the sensor shoots 4MP photos there is no such thing as upscaling photos from 4MP to 16MP.

https://youtu.be/BaUh9HgjJtQ 

• puneet puneet
    ✭✭✭  /  edited June 2
    The sensor is a 16 MP but the system because of bugs probably can't convey this info properly to other apps. Or it can be some other issue entirely.
    But the pics clicked with Nokia camera shows the resolution as 16MP.
    Regarding the poor quality of pictures from Nokia cam, it's because of the poor post processing and not sensors.
  • BatManiac BatManiac
     /  edited June 2
    Juho Sarvikas explained this while he was announcing the Nokia 7 Plus on the MWC 2018:

"The front camera features an adaptive sensor technology. We've combined 4 pixels into one super pixel so that we can deliver those beautiful bothies even in the lowest light conditions."

This is why the sensor shoots 4MP photos... there is no such thing as upscaling photos from 4MP to 16MP.

But in facts: the everywhere announced and in every technical specifications listed 16MP front cam (even on 7+'s boxes) is an incorrect information...
    ✭✭  / 
    So in reality the Nokia 7 plus is having a 4mp camera boosted or you can say combined or biforcated into 16mp camera,
    So is it good enough as compared to actual raw 20mp or 16mp cameras ,I don't think so
    ✭✭  / 
    My display picture is from redmi5a front camera that is 5mp and it is by far away ahead in terms of pic quality as I think
  • puneet puneet
    ✭✭✭  /  edited June 2
    It can either be that the 16MP sensor provides full resolution only to the Nokia camera app. It maybe some limitation set by Nokia.
    While for all other apps, the sensor merges 4 pixels into one and that's why the image from other apps is 4 times less in resolution at 4MP. It would also tell for the better picture quality from google cam mods.
    The picture from Nokia camera in medium and low lighting conditions is poor but from google cam mods is amazing.
    ✭✭  / 

this is Google camera 4mp at 4isto 3 ratio

✭✭  / 
    I don't know I just tried to upload photos but where did that go I don't know,samples from low light rn5pro front camera,front cam samples from Google 4mp and Nokia 16mp resolution,and ofcourse my profile pic 5mp redmi5a
  • puneet puneet
    ✭✭✭  / 
    The poor quality pics of Nokia is solely because of poor post processing algorithms. The best post processing algorithms right now is of Google.
    ✭✭  / 
    Puneet my question is ,is it having a raw 16mp sensor or a 4mp sensor? because if it has 4mp then no software can make it look like a 20mp or 16mp picture no matter what algorithm Nokia ,Sony or anybody makes if the hardware is not there to take
  • puneet puneet
    ✭✭✭  /  edited June 2
    I did answer as to what I feel is happening earlier. I will say it again. I don't think Nokia or for that matter any OEM will make a blunder by packing a 4MP sensor in a 26k phone and market it as 16MP sensor.
    My guess is that only Nokia cam is allowed to use the full 16MP resolution by a bug or on purpose but even then, the poor post processing algorithms make it look very bad.
    Again, other apps aren't allowed to use full 16MP resolution because of either bug or on purpose but the better post processing algorithms make the picture look good.
    It can also be that the other camera apps are listing the max resolution at 4MP because as someone mentioned about the adaptive pixel size, it would be that the info from the whole 16MP resolution is used and then posted as a 4MP image. That would mean that the 4 pixels are merged into 1 pixel. Thus, the max picture resolution given out by the system software is 4MP while capturing pic in 16MP.
    All this is my guess. I could be wrong.
    ✭✭  / 
    Well if I take it as a 16mp hardware sensor then the pictures are highly over contrast and pathetic as compared to some other phones,can't be used virtually,it makes the entire picture look different
    ✭✭  / 
    Let's see in the next update ,I had a chat with Nokia support ,they told to wait for next update
  • puneet puneet
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Also, another guess. It could also be that system software provides images from front cam in 4MP default after capturing in 16MP by merging 4 pixels into 1 and that is what it conveys to every other camera app in terms of resolution but only the Nokia camera app is given the access as a feature to post images in full 16MP resolution where it won't use the pixel binning tech.
    I would suggest you to try capturing selfie in 16MP and then, in 3 or 4MP using Nokia camera to see if there's any difference.
    ✭✭  /  edited June 11
    Today I was just checking the Nokia 6.1 front camera at digital express and surprisingly it takes better snaps than Nokia 7 plus front camera ,the cam on 6.1 is a 8mp shooter and on 7plus as advertised it is 16mp ,I am getting to a point where I am seeing the results and they look like 4mp camera,if this is a case then then it's a big thumbs down for this for this phone for incorrect information and misleading product