New retro-phone coming? the N9?!

Hi everyone, I can hardly contain my excitement! Thanks to the Nokiamob crew for the tip.

New retro-phone coming? the N9?!

madbilly madbilly
Super User  / 
Hi everyone,

I can hardly contain my excitement! Thanks to the Nokiamob crew for the tip. It appears that KaiOS have posted on their Facebook page some pictures from their stand at CES. One the phones there looks just like the Nokia N9 from 2011! Are Nokia preparing to release a new retro-phone looking like the original N9, at the same time as releasing the new Nokia 9? Does this also mean that KaiOS (or Nokia) have produced a touchscreen version of their FirefoxOS-based OS? How similar to the FirefoxOS UI will it be? Or will it be like the N9's swipe UI! (although the FirefoxOS UI already had some similarities in operation).

My mind boggles!

Cheers :smiley:

Comments

• DabidsPH DabidsPH
    ✭✭  / 
    I really hope they don't use KaiOS in it. It's laggy on the 8110 4G and using it on a rebooted N9 means no justice to the original device.

A forked version of Android will do. Make the UI look like the original N9 and boom! Perfect.
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    I'm pretty certain that this was put on the Google Assistant stand by someone having a bit of a joke! But it certainly got us talking.

KaiOS on the right chipset will work fine. FirefoxOS required less resources than Android at the time, but performance often came down to how the OEM optimised it (compare v2.0 and v2.1 on the LG Fx0, for example). Since KaiOS is basically the same as FirefoxOS, with a different, simpler UI, it should perform pretty well... on the right chipset.

However, I fully agree that KaiOS as it currently stands, even with a touchscreen UI, would not do justice to the original N9.

Still, a rebooted N9 alongside a new Nokia 9 would be a nice touch. Maybe the device is real and will run Sailfish?
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 
    madbilly said:
    Still, a rebooted N9 alongside a new Nokia 9 would be a nice touch. Maybe the device is real and will run Sailfish?
    I'll wish that happens. I'm planning to upgrade my Aqua Fish to a better phone. The phone is great, but the cameras are disappointing :smile:
    I won't give it much attention if it comes with KaiOS.
  • but guys, wouldn't you rather see it come back as the legendary N950 retronerdhaven powerhouse?  :o I miss that keyboard: I'm stuck using the E7 for that.
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    @BradTech I would lurve to see a return of the N950, probably running SailfishOS.... but does SF have good keyboard support still?  If it ran on a glibc stack then we could run any Linux derivative on it! (or we'd have to get libhybris/Halium running on it).
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 
    @madbilly Jolla presented the SFOS3 as also ready for feature phones. So, it is assumable that they have at least good support for the physical T9 keyboard. Now its yet to be seen if they can also support a full QWERTY.