Features on Pie that I have found that are in Pixel devices but not on Android One branded phones

1. No Flip to Shhh mode in Digital Wellbeing. 2. No Overview Selection Feature. 3. No weather info on Glance View. 4.

Features on Pie that I have found that are in Pixel devices but not on Android One branded phones

wilson shrestha wilson shrestha
✭✭✭✭  / 
1. No Flip to Shhh mode in Digital Wellbeing.
2. No Overview Selection Feature.
3. No weather info on Glance View.
4. No draw option with pens after taking an screenshot while editing.

Add more if you have noticed others......

Comments

• wilson shrestha wilson shrestha
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited January 2019
    I am calling out everyone since my post is empty 😂. @nitheesh @madbilly @todesurteil
    @petrus @nitin kachare @singhnsk @marsic @wyk @naufrago @mrbelter. Sorry if I forgot some of you. What's your take on this?

Some of these features are really important. I fear Google will save even more useful and handy features for their own Pixel phones in the next Android OS update making Android One like a empty shell. 
  • nitheesh nitheesh
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Missing dark mode in Google and voice assistant (it's available in pixel devices)
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    nitheesh said:
    Missing dark mode in Google and voice assistant (it's available in pixel devices)
    Yes that's true. So much for Android One.
  • todesurteil todesurteil
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Well I have dark mode on my device it's the settings menu that doesn't have dark mode. I agree with the rest @wilson shrestha. But would like to add how can you call it pure Android yet it doesn't have the basic functions that google's devices are released with. A problem I have is since Pie I can't remove the first screen and/or make the second screen my home screen. Thus what I have found is less and less customization. At this rate soon we will have a android version of ios where we can only change the background basically. And that will suck to put it mildly. 
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  /  edited January 2019
    There are no formal definitions for "Pure Android". It's not even clear what the definition of "Android One" is in terms of software because Google don't put this on their public website (it's a useless page as far as technical information is concerned, frankly, just a list of phones whose manufacturer has paid Google, AFAICT).

Google have systematically watered down, removed useful features from the AOSP version of Android over the past few years. Originally, "Pure Android" in the shape of the Nexus phones was the basics - AOSP + bundled Google apps like Chrome, Play store, etc which any other manufacturer was able to ship with their Android phones. Then over time Google started to include more Google-exclusive features in the Nexus phones and then in the Pixel phones. The situation is now that the Pixel phones are not really "Pure Android" at all, but include many customisations which other manufacturers are (probably) not allowed to include yet Google give their Pixels a free pass, which is an unfair competitive edge where Google exercise their monopoly in the mobile OS space to enhance their other businesses.

Oh, what a surprise! :sarcasm:

TL/DR - @wilson shrestha thanks for starting this thread :smiley:
  • nitinkachare nitinkachare
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

always missing 4th one.Draw Option On screenshot.
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

always missing 4th one.Draw Option On screenshot.
    I have explained it clearly on the topic linked below on how to get the Google Pixel screenshot editor (Markup Tool) on phone with Android Pie. You might find this useful.

https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/40846/enjoy-googles-markup-tool-screenshot-editor-apk-in-all-nokia-phones-on-android-pie
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited January 2019
    madbilly said:
    There are no formal definitions for "Pure Android". It's not even clear what the definition of "Android One" is in terms of software because Google don't put this on their public website (it's a useless page as far as technical information is concerned, frankly, just a list of phones whose manufacturer has paid Google, AFAICT).

Google have systematically watered down, removed useful features from the AOSP version of Android over the past few years. Originally, "Pure Android" in the shape of the Nexus phones was the basics - AOSP + bundled Google apps like Chrome, Play store, etc which any other manufacturer was able to ship with their Android phones. Then over time Google started to include more Google-exclusive features in the Nexus phones and then in the Pixel phones. The situation is now that the Pixel phones are not really "Pure Android" at all, but include many customisations which other manufacturers are (probably) not allowed to include yet Google give their Pixels a free pass, which is an unfair competitive edge where Google exercise their monopoly in the mobile OS space to enhance their other businesses.

Oh, what a surprise! :sarcasm:

TL/DR - @wilson shrestha thanks for starting this thread :smiley:
    And this again begs the answer to the question "Was Android One a viable option to choose in the first place?". I seriously think Nokia needs to reconsider their decision given the monopoly of Google in the mobile OS space and its increasing effect on the Android One programme with time as you have mentioned already.

Check out this video where Google's Stock Android is compared with the Oneplus's Oxygen OS. Here, we can see that Google's Stock Android software is pretty much surpassed by Oxygen OS in terms of almost every little thing. My question is if a brand like Oneplus can do this why can't Nokia do it even better.