Proximity sensor issue (software)

Almost since I got my Sirocco and even before updating to Pie, I have this issue.

Proximity sensor issue (software)

Almost since I got my Sirocco and even before updating to Pie, I have this issue.

When I start a call, regardless what app I'm using (phone, contacts or Telegram) the screen goes off. This issue ONLY happens outdoors under bright sun light. I noticed that in order for the screen to turn back on is by exposing the proximity sensor to bright light source, strong sun light or spot light for example. If I went from outdoors to indoors, the screen would go off and not respond. However, if I started the call indoor under normal light conditions and went outdoors. It works flawlessly. In case I locked the phone, unlocked it and started a call outdoor, it would do it again and I face the same issue. To make sure it's not a hardware problem, I did hardware test for proximity sensor. I used hardware test in the phone app and multitool sensor reading app. Indoors, when it behaves as it should. I get a valid readings. Indoors, when it behaves as it should. I get a valid readings. Zero when sensor is covered and 5 when not even when I take it outdoor without locking the device. As for outdoors, I get zero centimeters all the time, even when I get inside. When I expose it to sunlight or bright, I get zero when covered and 5 when not as it suppose to. I also noticed that the screen brightness stays maximum when I got from outdoor to indoor. 

This is definitely a software issue. I tried contacting Nokia support many times and they just keep telling me the same non sense, to try another calling app or make sure no screen protector is installed (there isn't ). Restarting the phone fixes the problem, then it's repeated the next day.

Any help please 😭

Comments

• valyo_bg valyo_bg
    ✭✭  / 
    Proximity roblem disappear on my phone when Nova Launcher is used. Now work perfect.
  • I'm using Microsoft launcher, so you think the launcher has an impact on proximity sensor? I can try to use default launcher when the issue happens again and see if this works. I would be surprised if this fixes my issue, I believe it's more related to the system and not simply the launcher.
  • I tried using the default launcher in the  presence of the problem, no luck. 
  • alemar73 alemar73
    ✭✭  / 
    I solved in 2 minutes by installing "Reset proximity sensor" from the Play Store. Same with my wife's Nokia 6.1.
  • alemar73 said:
    I solved in 2 minutes by installing "Reset proximity sensor" from the Play Store. Same with my wife's Nokia 6.1.
    I will try this out and update you, thanks!
  • I tried the app, didn't work. I decided to reset the phone to factory default, I hope this fixes the problem.
  • Ok, I reset the phone and still the problem is here. I don't know how come even after resetting everything, the problem persist. I will take it to Nokia care center, but I'm sure it's a software and not hardware problem. Otherwise, restarting the phone wouldn't have fixed it.
  • I have almost a similar issue. The screen goes black on every call, and I end up restarting the phone to solve it for some time. Ended up enabling "power button to disconnect call", to at least allow me to disconnect a call if need be. But the issue exists even on hangouts dialer app, and the power button disconnect doesn't work on it.

However, the issue is compounded for me, because since the pie update, I have had to face very weird brightness levels. Unbelievably low brightness very often, and the slider would not let me change it either. I'm left with a rather dark screen for some time. Anybody face the same problem? Got solutions? 
  • I have Nokia 8 sirocco and I have proximity sensor problem during calls after updating to pie

• valyo_bg valyo_bg
    ✭✭  /  edited February 2019
    valyo_bg said:
    Proximity problem disappear on my phone when Nova Launcher is used. Now work perfect.
    Problem reappears after last security update, during calls display won't turn off again. Very annoying. This happen only on phone call, with Viber, WhatsApp or any other messaging program proximity sensor work perfect. Unfortunately there is no way to change default call app inside Android 9 Pie.
  • Try every software and launcher. Still the same issue in Nokia 8 sirocco. 
    Kindly update if any solution available. 
  • Oaties Oaties
    ✭✭  / 
    I have the same issue and phone. It is driving me up the wall and I am losing my airtime because I can't end calls, especially when I reach voicemail.

None of the suggested solutions work for me.
    I wish Nokia would reach out and address this issue.
  • Oaties Oaties
    ✭✭  / 
    I have deducted that it is the proximity sensor that stops functioning until you reboot the phone.
    I installed a Reset Proximity Sensor app which did not help resolve my issue, but when I notice the issue (double tapping on screen does not turn it on anymore and during phone call, the screen doesn't turn on again), the Reset Proximity Sensor app shows the status/reading/value of the sensor to be "close", meaning that something is near the sensor.

Obviously this is not the case.

After a reboot, everything works again...for a while.
  • Diego Beffa Diego Beffa
    ✭✭  / 

When I start a call, regardless what app I'm using (phone, contacts or Telegram) the screen goes off. This issue ONLY happens outdoors under bright sun light. I noticed that in order for the screen to turn back on is by exposing the proximity sensor to bright light source, strong sun light or spot light for example. If I went from outdoors to indoors, the screen would go off and not respond. However, if I started the call indoor under normal light conditions and went outdoors. It works flawlessly. In case I locked the phone, unlocked it and started a call outdoor, it would do it again and I face the same issue. To make sure it's not a hardware problem, I did hardware test for proximity sensor. I used hardware test in the phone app and multitool sensor reading app. Indoors, when it behaves as it should. I get a valid readings. Indoors, when it behaves as it should. I get a valid readings. Zero when sensor is covered and 5 when not even when I take it outdoor without locking the device. As for outdoors, I get zero centimeters all the time, even when I get inside. When I expose it to sunlight or bright, I get zero when covered and 5 when not as it suppose to. I also noticed that the screen brightness stays maximum when I got from outdoor to indoor. 

This is definitely a software issue. I tried contacting Nokia support many times and they just keep telling me the same non sense, to try another calling app or make sure no screen protector is installed (there isn't ). Restarting the phone fixes the problem, then it's repeated the next day.

Any help please 😭
    I experience EXACTLY the same. Of course I am updated to the latest Android version and to the latest Security Patch.
    I hope it will be fixed in a future patch, otherwise I will try to have my device replaced within the warranty... but it could be a nightmare to demonstrate the flaw at the shop...
  • Hi I had this issue on my Scirocco. Today I ran the Proximity Sensor Reset app outside in bright sunlight which worked, then what I did was in 'System' then 'Gestures' I turned on the 'Swipe fingerprint for notifications' function.
    This now seems to keep the screen on when receiving calls or activating the screen when you swipe your fingerprint over the sensor.
    Try it and let me know if this works for you?
  • Sujoy Sujoy
    ✭✭  / 

Any help please 😭
    Go to the phone setting -> Apps & Notifications -> Phone -> uninstalled update. I hope this will solve the issue, till the next update comes.
  • Onuigbo Onuigbo
    ✭✭  / 

Try removing your screen protectors. It worked for me.. the screen protectors they make interfere with the sensors ..

• kreep kreep
    ✭✭  / 

I had the same issue with 3d screen protector with black frame on Nokia 4.2. Its edge partly interfered the sensor window.

Since I have changed it to simple transparent protector, I don't have that issue any more, the proximity works perfectly.

Check if your protector interferes the sensor (up-right from the front camera). Have a nice day.

• manoj1 manoj1
    ✭✭  / 

I had the same issue, Just remove any plastic transparent protector from the Screen - Then this issue will be solved - Try it....it works. Now the issue is no more. 

• andrei ani andrei ani
    ✭✭  / 

It's June 2020 and I have th exact problem with phone screen switching off when pressing "call". Cannot turn it back on unless the person I am calling ends the call. That's a huge issue for me...