Bad signal LTE 4G

Hi everybody, I have a TA 1021 and I really love the mobile. Only problem is the signal.

Bad signal LTE 4G

big lee hutsy big lee hutsy
 / 

Hi everybody,

I have a TA 1021 and I really love the mobile.
Only problem is the signal. I made test with my colleagues which have the same provider (Vodafone IT) and they all have way better signal and speed. We all have same sim and contract, and we tested in the same place, with same speed test software (inside Vodafone App) and I got the worst result. THe other mobiles were Huawei and Samsung.

Has this something to do with Oreo update? Can you please check and fix?

Thanks,

Comments

• murph murph
    ✭✭  /  edited June 5
    You have not said what speeds you are seeing, or the exact models of the other phones, so it's impossible to fully answer this. There are many categories of LTE, with huge differences in performance between them. The Qualcomm Snapdragon 430 in the 6 has a Qualcomm X6 LTE modem, which has a max speed of 150 Mbps down (cat 4) and 75 Mbps up (cat 5), although HMD advertise the 6 as 50 Mbps up (cat 4). That's megabits per second (Mbps), and raw link speeds; roughly divide by 10 for megabytes per second (MBps or MB/s) and to allow for protocol overheads. Actual achieved speed has many factors influencing it, so lower speed isn't always down to the device itself; network congestion, the remote system, and the application layer can give lower speeds. If the other devices have a newer or higher spec than the Snapdragon 430, they may well give faster results in otherwise identical circumstances.
  • big lee hutsy big lee hutsy
     / 
    You are right, here the result of the test:

4g speed
    Download: 24.2
    Upload: 1.3
    Ping: 29

My colleague test 4g (Huawei p10 lite)
    Download: 35.6
    Upload: 9.2
    Ping: 25

Thanks
  • murph murph
    ✭✭  / 
    Ok, well the Huawei P10 Lite is a LTE cat 6 device, max 300 Mbps down and 50 Mbps up. That also moves it into a newer LTE spec, 3GPP Release 10 (and "LTE Advanced"), compared to 3GPP Release 8 for cat 4/5 in the Nokia 6. I can't say with certainty that this fully explains the observed results, but it does seem likely to be a significant factor.
  • big lee hutsy big lee hutsy
     / 
    Well it's a bit too technical for me to be honest. Then my question is: is there a workaround to enhance the spec? It's getting hard, especially for the upload side, to work with this mobile, and is the only defect I've found so far, cause I do really enjoy it!

Thanks again
  • murph murph
    ✭✭  / 
    No, you can't upgrade to the newer LTE spec. Your upload rate does seem a bit on the low side of things. With the same Snapdragon 430 in my Nokia 5, I get 24 Mbps down and 4 Mbps up. That's fine for me, as all of the UK networks have crippled usability of 4G through dreadfully outdated pricing which makes it unrealistic to actually make significant use of 4G's potential (LTE cat 4 @ 150 Mbps would cost around £9/minute at full rate on one of the better tariffs, or a staggering £90/minute on another highly popular provider; for out-of-bundle data).