Share your thoughts on the recent Pie Update on Nokia 5. Are there any bugs?

As you already know the official Pie has been recently available for Nokia 5 2017. And I suppose this question is too early to ask.

Share your thoughts on the recent Pie Update on Nokia 5. Are there any bugs?

wilson shrestha wilson shrestha
✭✭✭✭  /  edited January 24
As you already know the official Pie has been recently available for Nokia 5 2017. And I suppose this question is too early to ask. But, I would love to hear how is the new Pie update working out for you once you experience it. Are there any bugs? Is the system performance better than before? Basically share your overall experience.

Although, I don't own this device, I would love to hear your thoughts on this. I am asking this question because this is something that Nokia promised us i.e to deliver a stable non- buggy software. So, I would like to know if they lived upto their words. Since, this is supposed to be the last official OS update for Nokia 5 2017 as it completes its two year of OS updates now, this has to be stable and well optimized one way or another.

Anyways, its really nice to see Nokia updating a mid range phone from last year and getting well ahead of other brands in terms of update.

Comments

• wilson shrestha wilson shrestha
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited January 24
    Ali said:
    Actually i did not received official Android Pie now, but i tested tbr software which was early Internal Android Pie 9.0 for Nokia 5, this Internal Pie was quite stable and working all fines, but i missed some settings, like Gestures Navigations, Digital Wellbeing, Camera performances, battery life, over all the devices performance have been improved in this Internal Android Pie for Nokia 5 2017 TA 1053.
    Well you shouldn't have installed the internal Pie beta unless you had your bootloader unlocked by unofficial means. Now, you won't receive the official pie update. And, I'm not sure how will you be able to install the official Pie manually.

Anyways, thanks for the info about your experience.
  • I still got no update for TA-1053 model.
  • Guirri Guirri
    ✭✭  / 
    what about wifi/bluetooth/memory
    Other móviles mension faillors
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Mad Ossor said:
    On TA-1024, I have two major problems with the update. First, swipe gesture navigation is missing completely. Chatted with Nokia Support yesterday and they confirmed it :(    I did a soft-reset of the phone, but even a fresh installation doesn't have swipe gesture navigation. Second, and that's a tough one, the fingerprint reader fails to work after some hours. I have to reboot the phone to make it work again. Overall, the performance is improved, that's good. Sadly, there are some servere bugs/missing features.

The way this update went, I am unable to use the phone in my daily routine, with failing fingerprint and missing android 9 features. 
    Thank you for the reply. Well since, Nokia 5 has capacitive navigation buttons at the button the gestures might have been disabled because of it. 

The fingerprint reader fails seems to be a bug that's really painful. Hope, they fix in the next update.
  • Guirri Guirri
    ✭✭  /  edited January 25
    Mad Ossor said:
    On TA-1024, I have two major problems with the update. First, swipe gesture navigation is missing completely. Chatted with Nokia Support yesterday and they confirmed it :(    I did a soft-reset of the phone, but even a fresh installation doesn't have swipe gesture navigation. Second, and that's a tough one, the fingerprint reader fails to work after some hours. I have to reboot the phone to make it work again. Overall, the performance is improved, that's good. Sadly, there are some servere bugs/missing features.

The way this update went, I am unable to use the phone in my daily routine, with failing fingerprint and missing android 9 features. 
    what and how do they test 
    They didnot learn from oreo 
    They made the batery and memory management even worse
    Killing apps is not a solucion
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Reynard said:
    On TA-1024 I'm quite disappointed with the update. There seem to be quite a few bugs/problems.
    • Battery drains much faster. Losing up to 10% in an hour without screentime. This really is a shame, as I could use the phone for almost two days on Oreo (8.1.0).
    • Maximum volume of Bluetooth Headphone is often very low when reconnecting a headphone (Bose QuickComfort)
    • Volume increase between steps 6 and 7 is too big. From 7 to 8 there is hardly an increase. This problem was also existing on Oreo, but less noticeable
    • Fingerprint reader stops working after a few hours
    • Statusbar is not used well. Just two notifications are shown and a small . when there's more. Only reason I can think of is that the ROM is created for a phone with a notch, but Nokia 5 doesn't have one
    • Screen comes on everytime I pickup the phone. This apparently was implemented as a poor solution for the lack of notication icons. But this 'feature' cannot be turned off it seems.
    • Digital Wellbeing is missing/not supported (the only reason I wanted to update to Pie)
    • Pro mode is missing in the camera. Camera sometimes crashes when changing the camera mode (panorama
    • Gestures are missing (not a problem for me though)

• No fault from Nokia, but I find Android Pie to be extremely ugly with all the rounded edges. This seems to be the new design philosophy from Google (also look at the ugly round edges on this forum)
    I would advise everyone NOT to update (yet), and also have a look first if you find the new look of Android acceptable. Also I would like to downgrade to Orea, but that doesn't seem to be possible.
    Thank you for sharing your experience with Android Pie on Nokia 5. And, it was nice of you list all these bugs in details.

So, Nokia still hasn't learned from past mistakes and is still front deploying buggy software on their phones. I don't know why they can't provide us updates with minimum bugs. If the updates are full of bugs then what good are those updates.
  • after pie my fingerprint alway get vanish after changing the user id
  • Reynard Reynard
    ✭✭  /  edited January 25
    Mad Ossor said:
    Reynard said:
    On TA-1024 I'm quite disappointed with the update. There seem to be quite a few bugs/problems.
    I would advise everyone NOT to update (yet), and also have a look first if you find the new look of Android acceptable. Also I would like to downgrade to Orea, but that doesn't seem to be possible.
    Thank you for sharing your experience with Android Pie on Nokia 5. And, it was nice of you list all these bugs in details.

So, Nokia still hasn't learned from past mistakes and is still front deploying buggy software on their phones. I don't know why they can't provide us updates with minimum bugs. If the updates are full of bugs then what good are those updates.
    The question for me is: does it make sense to report the problems? Does any Nokia Engineer listen? Does Nokia care to release updates in order to fix these bugs? I mean seriously, this renders my phone unuseable. I was praising Nokia for their update idea and plain android usage. Now that is all fine but if they don't care for QA then I have to pass Nokia :( There are many more Android One phones on the market meanwhile.
    Yes, I also wonder if Nokia engineers monitor this forum for bugs. Or should we report issues somewhere else? 

At first I also applauded the Nokia phones for their design, features and update policy. Actually had many friends and family also buy a Nokia phone. However, I'm very disappointed with this latest update.

With the current battery life, the phone is actually hardly usable as a daily driver. Nokia *really* should provide unlock codes for the bootloader if they provide this bad quality firmware. So that people should be able to downgrade, or flash their own roms.

Edit:
    I found another problem:
    • The memory management seems to have gotten even more strict. All apps disappear from the Overview/Recent screen every few minutes.

• Reynard Reynard
    ✭✭  / 
    Mad Ossor said:
    Reynard said:

The question for me is: does it make sense to report the problems? Does any Nokia Engineer listen? Does Nokia care to release updates in order to fix these bugs? I mean seriously, this renders my phone unuseable. I was praising Nokia for their update idea and plain android usage. Now that is all fine but if they don't care for QA then I have to pass Nokia :( There are many more Android One phones on the market meanwhile.
    Yes, I wonder if Nokia engineers do monitor this forum for issues?

I found another one:
    • Memory management seems to have gotten worse. Every few minutes, all apps disappear from the Recent/Overview screen.
    This was a great phone for the money. Now it's not usable anymore as a daily driver for me (mainly due to the battery drain). Nokia *really* should provide unlock codes for all of their phones so that people can unlock their phones for a downgrade.
  • petrus petrus
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi everyone,
    Does Nokia 5 have an Adaptive Battery feature in Android Pie?
  • Guirri Guirri
    ✭✭  /  edited January 25
    Reynard said:
    Mad Ossor said:
    Reynard said:

I found another one:
    • Memory management seems to have gotten worse. Every few minutes, all apps disappear from the Recent/Overview screen.
    This was a great phone for the money. Now it's not usable anymore as a daily driver for me (mainly due to the battery drain). Nokia *really* should provide unlock codes for all of their phones so that people can unlock their phones for a downgrade.
    told YouTube so
    Killing apps is not the solución
    Also want yo know with les funcions
    Why is pie Nokia 5 300 MB more than pie Nokia 7.1
  • Reynard Reynard
    ✭✭  / 
    petrus said:
    Hi everyone,
    It does. That is, it is shown in the settings menu. However, if you read this thread, people are having problems with battery drain. I do to. My phone drains up to 10% per hour. I have blacklisted most apps (I already did that in Oreo).
  • Reynard Reynard
    ✭✭  /  edited January 25
    Reynard said:

I found another one:
    Even my (3rd party) launcher is apparently killed when the screen is off. When unlocking the phone the launcher is being redrawn by the system. I'm not running may apps btw
  • Guirri Guirri
    ✭✭  / 
    Reynard said:
    Mad Ossor said:
    Reynard said:

I found another one:

Mad Ossor said:

what and how do they test 
    They didnot learn from oreo 
    They made the batery and memory management even worse
    Killing apps is not a solucion
    And why is Nokia 5 pie 300mb bigger then Nokia 7.1 pie

• petrus petrus
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Reynard said:
    petrus said:
    Hi everyone,
    It does. That is, it is shown in the settings menu. However, if you read this thread, people are having problems with battery drain. I do to. My phone drains up to 10% per hour. I have blacklisted most apps (I already did that in Oreo).
    Thank you.
  • Ali Ali
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Android Internal Pie 9.0 Pie 6.12C i i thi this version is quite stable than the version of 6.12E, as is it official build, i don't have any problems with that build (v6.12c) which is internal Android Pie for Nokia 5, i am running my all Applications runs smoothly and much faster than the Oreo, as i running internal Pie since 2 weeks, and i shared my experience, screenshots of the device that was the full Pie experience.
    As some users have highlighted the bugs of fingerprints, battery draining, Pro Mode missing in the Camera etc.
  • It's working fine.
  • TA-1053 Nokia 5 received Pie update yesterday....Swipe Navigation feature is missing, Digital wellbeing feature missing, No problem with finger print scanner....
  • TA -1053 Thema akku going down on The half Time
  • RaviVerma11 RaviVerma11
    ✭✭  / 
    Overall performance is improved in this update, but there are two major problems according to me-
    1. There is no pro pro mode in camera. however nokia 5 is fully compatible with pro mode features.
    2. There is no Music Equalizer in google play music app.
  • Suri bs Suri bs
    ✭✭  / 
    Guys any idea on how to fix the fingerprint sensor ,it just keeps on forgetting the fingerprint ,😪
  • vosed vosed
    ✭✭  / 
    After updating to Android Pie, boot animation, in my opinion, behaves strangely. The inscription "Powered by Android" appears, disappears and reappears. And after, for a short time, the inscription "Nokia" appears. Is it a bug or not?
  • sometimes battery statistics behaves abnormal.. suppose after using it 1 hrs the screen on time is showing 1 hrs...and after using further 30 minutes..it stops showing the particular data..it still shows SOT is 1 hrs... after 1 or 2 restarts it doesn't work properly...if anyone using the pie ,note the behviour of battery statistics.
  • Reynard Reynard
    ✭✭  / 
    sometimes battery statistics behaves abnormal.. suppose after using it 1 hrs the screen on time is showing 1 hrs...and after using further 30 minutes..it stops showing the particular data..it still shows SOT is 1 hrs... after 1 or 2 restarts it doesn't work properly...if anyone using the pie ,note the behviour of battery statistics.
    Yes, battery management doesn't seem to work well. I notice a lot of battery drain, the phone hardly gets through one day (where I had about 36 hours on Oreo). Also, the power saving mode doesn't seem to make a difference in Pie, where in Oreo it did.

You can report bugs here.
  • after draining battery completely...you have to register your fingerprint again...😂😂
    bugs everywhere
  • bill 6 bill 6
    ✭✭  / 
    I haven't got pie, after reading some posts on this forum, I don't think I'll bother.