Share your thoughts on the recent Pie Update on Nokia 5. Are there any bugs? - Page 2

bill 6 said: I haven't got pie, after reading some posts on this forum, I don't think I'll bother.

Share your thoughts on the recent Pie Update on Nokia 5. Are there any bugs?

Comments

• bill 6 said:
    I haven't got pie, after reading some posts on this forum, I don't think I'll bother.

Yes, it's not really recommended IMHO. Especially the battery life is a problem for me. There actually are almost no real improvements other than the security update.
  • I didn't receive yet pie update why😑😑😭😭
    TA1053 brought from UAE now in Pakistan
    Help me
  • JensTX JensTX
     / 
    I have the pie update since, well, since it came out, and I have a wierd issue with my phone(of course a nokia 5, a -24), where it says it's charging, while it's not. Other than that, nothing negative to report here.
  • I have tested nokia 5 beta version pie by XDA method.. Its worked good for me.. But i did not satiesfied with camera performance and some feture. .. I am missing about some setting like as network icon. I thought nokia 5 pie update will add this feture like as nokia 5 nought.. 

Finally i have downgrage my nokia 5 beta pie to nought 7.1.1. And i have get every month security update. Now oreo 8.1.1 december security patch.. But have not found official pie in my country Bangladesh.. When it will roll out for all country. .????
  • NOKIA TA-1053 
    - Android Pie update seem to be quite a few problems. 
    - Battery drains much faster compared to Oreo.
    - Digital Wellbeing is not supported also the navigation gesture missing.
    - User switching guest and normal mode delete all the saved finger print data.
    - Guest mode show oreo UI for Recent List and fixed after Restart.
  • hucha hucha
    ✭✭  / 
    Reynard said:
    On TA-1024 I'm quite disappointed with the update. There seem to be quite a few bugs/problems.
    • Battery drains much faster. Losing up to 10% in an hour without screentime. This really is a shame, as I could use the phone for almost two days on Oreo (8.1.0).
    • Maximum volume of Bluetooth Headphone is often very low when reconnecting a headphone (Bose QuickComfort)
    • Volume increase between steps 6 and 7 is too big. From 7 to 8 there is hardly an increase. This problem was also existing on Oreo, but less noticeable
    • Fingerprint reader stops working after a few hours
    • Statusbar is not used well. Just two notifications are shown and a small . when there's more. Only reason I can think of is that the ROM is created for a phone with a notch, but Nokia 5 doesn't have one
    • Screen comes on everytime I pickup the phone. This apparently was implemented as a poor solution for the lack of notication icons. But this 'feature' cannot be turned off it seems.
    • Digital Wellbeing is missing/not supported (the only reason I wanted to update to Pie)
    • Pro mode is missing in the camera. Camera sometimes crashes when changing the camera mode (panorama
    • Gestures are missing (not a problem for me though)

• No fault from Nokia, but I find Android Pie to be extremely ugly with all the rounded edges. This seems to be the new design philosophy from Google (also look at the ugly round edges on this forum)
    I would advise everyone NOT to update (yet), and also have a look first if you find the new look of Android acceptable. Also I would like to downgrade to Orea, but that doesn't seem to be possible.
    "Screen comes on everytime I pickup the phone." You can turn this off in settings of ambient display,there is a item called "Lift to check phone".
  • Santoshkaswal Santoshkaswal
     /  edited January 28
    1.) My Nokia 5 phone battery backup was perfect when in Android Oreo 8.1, it lasts a whole day on heavy usage....But after updated to android Pie 9.0 the battery is draining too fast...and I need to charge it twice a day. Power saving mode doesn't seem to make a difference in Pie..

2.) Statistics behaves abnormal.. suppose after using it 1 hr. the screen on time is showing 1 hr...and after using further 30 minutes..it stops showing the particular data accurately as 1 hr. and 30 mits....but it still shows screen on time 1 hr....
  • hucha said:
    Reynard said:
    On TA-1024 I'm quite disappointed with the update. There seem to be quite a few bugs/problems.
    • Battery drains much faster. Losing up to 10% in an hour without screentime. This really is a shame, as I could use the phone for almost two days on Oreo (8.1.0).
    • Maximum volume of Bluetooth Headphone is often very low when reconnecting a headphone (Bose QuickComfort)
    • Volume increase between steps 6 and 7 is too big. From 7 to 8 there is hardly an increase. This problem was also existing on Oreo, but less noticeable
    • Fingerprint reader stops working after a few hours
    • Statusbar is not used well. Just two notifications are shown and a small . when there's more. Only reason I can think of is that the ROM is created for a phone with a notch, but Nokia 5 doesn't have one
    • Screen comes on everytime I pickup the phone. This apparently was implemented as a poor solution for the lack of notication icons. But this 'feature' cannot be turned off it seems.
    • Digital Wellbeing is missing/not supported (the only reason I wanted to update to Pie)
    • Pro mode is missing in the camera. Camera sometimes crashes when changing the camera mode (panorama
    • Gestures are missing (not a problem for me though)

• No fault from Nokia, but I find Android Pie to be extremely ugly with all the rounded edges. This seems to be the new design philosophy from Google (also look at the ugly round edges on this forum)
    I would advise everyone NOT to update (yet), and also have a look first if you find the new look of Android acceptable. Also I would like to downgrade to Orea, but that doesn't seem to be possible.
    "Screen comes on everytime I pickup the phone." You can turn this off in settings of ambient display,there is a item called "Lift to check phone".
    Yes, I'd found that setting. Thanks.
  • I noticed Apps like WhatsApp and Facebook lite are not responding sometimes and then whole system ui gets hang and so i need to restart Nokia 5....earlier this wasn't an issue!!
  • Registered Fingerprints are get removed after every time battery gets fully drained
  • In oreo i was getting screen on time of 7.5hrs 8/9hrs but now in pie its giving 6-7hrs screen on time, in pie while playing gaming battery drain is increased. Even on screen off time battery drain is increased, i think its because of all apps are running in background and i think that battery saver and adaptive battery feature is not working properly, even after restricting apps i still getting notification from those app, and the most thing after turning on the battery saver phone still vibrates while receiving notifications and visual transision still stays on, that mean to battery drain increase, i even noticed heating issue even in very cold places, yas device is now verry smooth but still its need some fixes
  • user1523113514203 user1523113514203
     /  edited January 29
    Mad Ossor said:
    On TA-1024, I have two major problems with the update. First, swipe gesture navigation is missing completely. Chatted with Nokia Support yesterday and they confirmed it :(    I did a soft-reset of the phone, but even a fresh installation doesn't have swipe gesture navigation. Second, and that's a tough one, the fingerprint reader fails to work after some hours. I have to reboot the phone to make it work again. Overall, the performance is improved, that's good. Sadly, there are some servere bugs/missing features.

The way this update went, I am unable to use the phone in my daily routine, with failing fingerprint and missing android 9 features. 
    I had the same issue .... Even the equaliser is missing from play music ... When contacted ..... Reply was ... Pie is new and it takes time to develop for pie.... Nokia has one answer for everything.... " Factory reset "
  • As you already know the official Pie has been recently available for Nokia 5 2017. And I suppose this question is too early to ask. But, I would love to hear how is the new Pie update working out for you once you experience it. Are there any bugs? Is the system performance better than before? Basically share your overall experience.

Although, I don't own this device, I would love to hear your thoughts on this. I am asking this question because this is something that Nokia promised us i.e to deliver a stable non- buggy software. So, I would like to know if they lived upto their words. Since, this is supposed to be the last official OS update for Nokia 5 2017 as it completes its two year of OS updates now, this has to be stable and well optimized one way or another.

Anyways, its really nice to see Nokia updating a mid range phone from last year and getting well ahead of other brands in terms of update.
    I have a TA-1053 it has updated to pie 3 daya ago. There are many bugs. The system is not optimised yet, which is evident from extreme poor performance of battery. At idle it looses 10-15% in about 1/2 hr. Many animations are buggy and I noticed that the fast charging is not working as usual.. my mobile is at med temp, I hooked the charger about 1hr ago at 39 and it was at 50. Usually it goes to 70-80 by 1hr.
  • bintorooo bintorooo
    ✭✭  / 
    Can i do downgrade from Android Pie to Oreo?
    I think nokia 5 with Android Pie still a lot of bugs
  • Yo cuento con Nokia 5 y al contrario en vez de ir empeorando (como muchos dicen) el mio a mejorado bastante, y la nueva actualización a Android 9.0 lo mejoro aun mas en todo, la batería sigue igual, ni dura ni se gasta muy rápido, es regular :smile: para algunos teleteléf a los que no les funciona muy bien, asegurense primero de lo que le descargan y como tratan de meter roms , todo eso afecta al software, y de alguna forma el rendimiento y todo se ve afectado, no quiero decir que no tenga errores, pero tanbtam hay personas que le mueben como si supieran del todo y no saben realmente lo que le provocan al celular  ¡Saludos!
  • wilson shrestha wilson shrestha
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Can i do downgrade from Android Pie to Oreo?
    I think nokia 5 with Android Pie still a lot of bugs
    No sadly there is no official way to downgrade Nokia 5 from Pie to Oreo. If you have your bootloader unlocked with unofficial method then you can try searching this on xda otherwise its not possible.
  • gokul mathav gokul mathav
    ✭✭  / 
    Battery backup very poor for after pie update
  • Please send your bug reports to Nokia support. I don't think they monitor these forums for problems to fix
  • NFC isn't working for me :(
  • Worst update experience ever. 
    Fingerprint had to be re-set. Volume buttons don't work. Well they work. But only ajust the media volume. Not the call tone as they used to. 
    This goes dobble for both my own Nokia 5 and my mother's. 
    To ajust call tunes, we have to enter settings. To be nice, Nokia, what are you doing?

• Dilshad1234 Dilshad1234
    ✭✭  / 
    After my Nokia 5 pie update ,my battery drain faster than previous orieo update, heating of Nokia 5 is increased ,fing fin print has got some problems hope Nokia will resolve these problems in next update,
  • Guirri Guirri
    ✭✭  /  edited February 1
    what i can not figger out is why some have a lot of bugs and others nothing o nearly nothing
    Are there two kinds of ta 1053
  • Koush Koush
    ✭✭  / 
    There is 2G internet connectivity issue after Pie update. While no issues in 4G.

Also I too face same battery drain issue. During night with all apps cleared and all Radios off(4G/Bluetooth/Wifi/NFC) up to 15% battery drains overnight after Pie update.

Nokia Pls help
  • I'm having issues on vibration. My phone does not vibrate for notifications which I feel is annoying. And my battery also does drain out faster. I hope Nokia does sort thing's out so that owners of they nokia phones feel more better about choosing nokia
  • Dilshad1234 Dilshad1234
    ✭✭  / 
    If nokia continue these update I surely avoid use Nokia battery drain too frustrating us I can't recommet Nokia phones for other , please kindly take action to resolve the battery drain issue ,I have such experience from nokia is first time ,it now I feel my nokia drain almost 25percentage even without a single use ,I really frustrating it 
  • I have Nokia 5 (TA-1053). Country India. After update Android 9 bottom loud speaker stop working. Soft and hard reset both done but not solved. pls help anyone.
  • Grobar Grobar
    ✭✭  / 
    Country: Serbia, model: TA-1053. Pie update: January 28 (V 6.12E)

I see many people complaining about the Pie and I was pretty concerned before the update reading all those comments, but fortunately I haven't faced any issues with Pie. Battery consumption is identical as it was on Oreo, standby drain is somewhere around 1% per 1 hour (just a bit more, 10% in 9 hours, with Wi-Fi/data on off course). Fingerprint sensor works every time (after restart too), I have added 4 fingerprints. No volume or vibration issues.
    If you ask me I see only positive sides with this update: significantly smoother performance, ability to uninstall unnecessary (in my case) apps such as Chinese/Hindi keyboards and similar stuff which could only be disabled in Oreo but not completely removed, there's no bloatware system apps unable to get it work (Weather for example), if I'm not wrong Pie took less storage space (not by much, but still, we have only 16GB, everything counts), dark theme isn't related to wallpaper anymore, Lift to check phone is an awesome new feature (since we didn't have anything even similar to Glance screen), storage shows correct numbers in Settings menu (for example 4.06 GB free...total used 11.94) which wasn't the case at all with Oreo...

Only thing that I miss from Oreo is icon style in Settings menu and Quick access, monochrome style. These colored ones are slightly childish to me, but it's not that big of a deal.