Suggestions to improve 8110 4G

Hi! I didnt find thred like this. - More functions to center key (etc.

Suggestions to improve 8110 4G

juhokusti juhokusti
✭✭  /  edited January 2019
Hi! I didnt find thred like this.

- More functions to center key (etc. down -> contacts, left -> messages, right -> calendar, up -> camera)
- Closing slider should take you to "home screen" quitting active app (choosable funtion)
- Deleting apps, like preinstalled games
- Ability to change camera angle to sideview
- Ability to customize menu with folders
- T9 text input
- Ability to get phone totally silenced, it can be done now, but somehow the vibration alarm kicks in when using #-button
- Improve web browser (Opera mini)

Comments

• Keith Keith
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Agreed. Opera browser would be great. Opera  is all that is needed on a feature phone. The current browser is so laggy. KaiOS needs to add all the things a feature phone can do before trying to be smart.
  • Screenshots would great..

• Islate Islate
    ✭✭  / 
    Hi, i have opend a thread like this

here is a link

maybe you can add your suggestion to it

• juhokusti juhokusti
    ✭✭  / 
    Thanks! I will write there, you already have great suggestions in that thread 👍🏻
  • On top of my list: Ability to functions just a plain Bluetooth handset that is paired with the main (Android) phone.

Use case: User has a high-end Android phone, but wants to do the talking (answer-talk-hang-up) with funny looking banana phone.

Implementation: Option in the 8110 4G settings menu to down grade the 8110 4G into a dumb Bluetooth headset/handset. After this, 8110 4G is paired with the host phone. From that on, 8110 4G works the same way as any regular Bluetooth headset. This way the use cab also pickup the phone and talk privately while will all the time having access to calendar etc. in the host phone UI.

Enablers:
    - 8110 4G retro phone is a funny & good looking phone
    - Price of the phone is not too far from the price point if BT headsets (=nothing)
    - High-end flagship phones have become so big that there could be need for a "talking" accessory handset
  • Keith Keith
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Seems the only way to improve the phone will be to go to the banana hackers website. They have more interest in the device than KaiOS and HMD put together.
  • 8110 lover 8110 lover
     /  edited March 2019
    Keith is right, stop wasting your time giving advice to KaiOS or HMD on 8110 community. 

They literally will not do what you asked. 

" Whatsapp is comming soonnnnnnnn" what a lair! 
  • Luxferre Luxferre
    ✭✭  /  edited April 2019

- More functions to center key (etc. down -> contacts, left -> messages, right -> calendar, up -> camera)
    - Closing slider should take you to "home screen" quitting active app (choosable funtion)
    - Deleting apps, like preinstalled games
    - Ability to change camera angle to sideview
    - Ability to customize menu with folders
    - T9 text input
    - Ability to get phone totally silenced, it can be done now, but somehow the vibration alarm kicks in when using #-button
    - Improve web browser (Opera mini)
    "More functions to center key (etc. down -> contacts, left -> messages, right -> calendar, up -> camera)" - done in CAT B35, for instance, when a way to dump the firmware from it is found I think it can be backported into 8110.
    "Closing slider should take you to "home screen" quitting active app" - implemented in GerdaOS in a bit different way (pressing Power when the slide lid is fully open). Screenshots are implemented the same way but when the slide lid is half-open.
    "Deleting apps, like preinstalled games" - implemented in GerdaOS.
    "T9 text input" - needs to be backported from B35.
    "Ability to change camera angle to sideview", "Ability to customize menu with folders", "Ability to get phone totally silenced" - I don't think that's realistic.
    "Improve web browser (Opera mini)" - that's actually worsening instead of improving. Opera Mini doesn't support a lot of modern websites correctly, unlike Gecko 48 browser engine used here.
  • abbas abbas
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I want Firefox Lite, PDF app, Printscreen app, WhatsApp then maybe I'll keep quiet...for a while.
  • Super Fulcrum Super Fulcrum
    ✭✭  /  edited May 2019
    - NEED FILE EXPLORER
    - NEED PHONE CALL RECORDING (3310 3G has it!)

- NEED A DESKTOP SOFTWARE EXACTLY LIKE THE OLD Nokia PC Suite to edit Phonebook, type SMS and transfer data. OMG Nokia PC Suite was SO SWEET! Better than ANY phone application for PC today. There is nothing even remotely close to the 10 year old PC Suite.

- NEED to customise Soft Keys
    - NEED to change shortcuts
    - Need Live Navigatin in MAPS (not just directions in steps)
    - Need more options on PHONE BOOK (reject list, click the softkey and search at whatever position you are in the list of contacts, etc)
    - NEED TELEGRAM Messenger
    - I want to DELETE preinstaleed APPS
  • EmilM EmilM
     /  edited November 2019
    I like this phone very much, but i can't use it until will be available a PHONE CALL RECORDING APP.

For me is mandatory that the phone to have this function!

And would be nice that Whatsapp to have Voice call function....
  • EmilM EmilM
     / 
    Schedule Power On and Off
  • Foggy Foggy
    ✭✭  / 

Lots of suggestions here, but I wonder what your top suggestion would be for basic, deliverable, quick updates / fixes? Mine are (not in order)....

1... Add Custom tones for messages, email, alarm and calendar etc.

2...Predictive text that works, i.e Capitals & user dictionary

3.. "Zoom" on email (like on browser) as cannot see some email details

• Keith Keith
    ✭✭✭  / 

@Foggy agree with all your suggestions. love setting my message tone.

• All I wish for are the simple things to be sorted with this phone. I am not sure if I am the only person with these issues but I doubt it.

The phone restarts itself at least once most days.

Agter it restarts itself the Bluetooth visibility is turned off which is very annoying.

When writing messages the same word will be split over 2 lines when it gets to the end of the line.

Often I don't receive whatsapp messages unless I open the app.

The button bounce is infuriating when writing messages

the web browser is so slow it is unusable

when changing my data in from one SIM card to another, if the phone resets itself at the same time, which has happened a few times, I can no longer receive 4g data and have to factory reset the phone to fix it.

I have told Kai OS about all of these problems but they basically just reply asking if I am on the most recent software and if I am, they don't know why these issues are happening. I would just change to a different phone but I really don't want to go back to a smartphone due to addiction problems with it and I require a dual sim phone with whatsapp. One that works preferably. I feel others have these issues I would be interested to know. Thank you

• I forgot to add above that when I receive calls from contacts on my phone, more often than not it doesn't come up with their name on the screen. Even though the number is saved in the phone. These issues are such simple faults that really shouldn't be happening on any phone in this day and age.

• ewibble ewibble
    ✭✭  / 

I bought this phone because I don't want a smart phone, just to receive calls occasionally the things 2 that can help this are:

1. Have an option to beep when the battery is low I don't check my phone often, by that it can be days between checking, so I don't see message saying your battery is low so it just turns off and I miss calls.
    2. Require me to open the cover an press a button to turn off the phone, I cycle so the phone can turn off in my pocket while cycling, once again I don't check my phone often so it can be days before I find out I am not contactable, usually when someone mentions they couldn't call me.

The phone last about 2 weeks between charges, I got it because of this but these annoyances make it so I wouldn't recommend this phone to anyone.