Used Nokia 8.1 for 1 month, here is my verdict!

So on November 2017 i bought Xiaomi MiA1 for 15k, you know what it was exceptional.

Used Nokia 8.1 for 1 month, here is my verdict!

Anantha Ramakrishnan Anantha Ramakrishnan
 /  edited January 27
So on November 2017 i bought Xiaomi MiA1 for 15k, you know what it was exceptional. In that release time for the amount of money it was great, then later December i wanted to change the phone with something special not too costly i couldn't afford flagships at 40k nor i don't what these mediocre 6xx series so i searched online just at the time Nokia 8.1 was going to be released on DEC 24 i think! I must be one of the first 10 people on the release day to buy this phone at amazon.in i was curious because of the HDR10 screen and S710 performance being on par with S835. Then i got it after 3 days. It was a mixed feelings on the first day of usage, many bugs caught my eye especially the background process getting killed, i mean how can (or) is it even legal for Nokia or HMD to kill apps that even after i give the permission being killed?  Seriously Nokia do you need another big fail like you guys got killed in windows market? So here's my review section by section

BUILD QUALITY : 
4.5 / 5 
Exceptional build quality glass back and the center metal frame it looks absolutely fabulous. I know many people feel a bit letdown about the corning gorilla situation as some officials claim its not CG3 protected, and some other tech. The fact is that the screen quality is well done part, i dropped it twice with in the first week both involving 1 meter falls guess what? the screen acquired so less damage that i ever thought. The 0.5 which lacks in my rating is due to the camera placement. WORST DECISION EVER. 

DISPLAY QUALITY : 
3.5 / 5 
Good is all you can say about the screen nothing exceptional like that of Nokia it claims to be. The 1.5 score lack is because of 2 reasons. HDR 10 is one of the major reasons why i bought this phone, so essentially we must be able to see higher intensity and wide of colors, which actually ASUS Max pro M1 did with out HDR on a YouTube HDR video comparison. SHAME! Secondly the pure display concept is seriously SHAM . There are 4 different pure display options Dynamic, Vivid, Cinema, Basic - basically (Dynamic, Vivid) are the same and (Cinema, Basic) are same.

Camera :
2 / 5
Exceptionally useless (NOT THE CAMERA BUT THE CAMERA APP) 
- You all know that front camera is OVEREXPOSED no one is going to say nay here!
- back camera is not up to the mark. Especially i expected the shutter speed to go up to 32 sec on pro mode as my old Nokia 520 did 4 sec  6 year back. With all the advancement in tech all you guys at Nokia achieved 4 sec that too not working as excepted. Light painting is terrible seriously!

5 / 5 on Google camera
The lord and Savior is here. As the device originally supports camera api 2,  hence all the people who bought this phone are saved! 

Sound :
3.5 / 5 
Nothing great here just normal. As you guys didn't deliver any audio add on even in Nokia 8 sirocco, I'm not expecting anything here! just mediocre sound. (DOLBY INCLUSION COULD HAVE BEEN LOVELY)

Battery :
5 / 5
Adaptive battery is doing wonders in battery standby and the quick charge delivers exceptional charging speed. Nothing more to say here.

Software:
2 / 5 
As a software developer myself and a big android enthusiast, i get irritated if the things didn't work as they supposed to.
- I don't like to see bulky things big text and bigger icons i just don't like it, so i went do display settings > i decreased the the display size and font size which came to a value of 485 PPI which the OS never did apply every thing was big as usual, but sometimes rarely it did scaled the resolution and after sometime it resorted to lower values BY ITSELF(WHAT EVER I SET DIDN'T SEEM TO TAKE EFFECT) ill be attaching picture proof for this.
- Do not expect your background apps to function as expected. NOKIA IS KILLING THE BACKGROUND PROCESS MERCILESSLY. Solution: https://dontkillmyapp.com/nokia follow the steps in OTHER NOKIA MODELS to regain freedom for all background functionality. For example my SONY LIFE-LOG which logs pretty much everything (steps count, browsing time , music time etc etc) i do didn't work! and my mi band sleep tracker which usually tells the amount of time i slept after i unlock my phone in MiA1 didn't show up on N 8.1  due to the background app killing. 
- Watching HDR YouTube videos phone automatically enables Cinema mode. A stupid yellow tint overlays on the video which makes the video unwatchable
- Memory management is worse. PUBG randomly crashes, Apps lag
- And so called Nokia promise on monthly security updates are surely a joke, its January 27 right now and no one has received Jan sec update till now 

Surprise i did not know when i bought the phone 
- ARCore supported phone :) 

* Camera samples provided here on only from google camera
* Screenshot 1 showing the PPI 485 didn't apply
* Screenshot 2 showing the PPI 485 applied randomly

ARCore video samples 
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vu5YVpHpME4ugmnr9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZohfQFZSoZvfXi3X7

Tagged:

Comments

• Wow thanks for taking your time to write about your experience with Nokia 8.1 in so much detail. Hope Nokia keeps an eye on post like this and act accordingly.
  • wyk wyk
    **  / 
    sweet & unbiased & practical user review..   thanks for sharing. 
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    **  /  edited January 27
    Really a nice review. Other than you giving 5/5 to Google Camera which doesn't offer pro mode at all, and cutting those from stock which at least gives you some options, you have summed up most of the issues really very well.
    HDR10: You can manage the PureDisplay settings in: Settings > Display. So, you can change it from Dynamic to something that you like (probably Vivid).
    Edit: I just realized that you have already looked at the options and this isn't what you're looking for.
    As for the background apps, my essential apps have not stopped working. But probably their functionality is limited. For example, when I wake up, my WhatsApp notifications are there, but the backup only starts uploading when I unlock the screen. Yes, the background activity should be improved or there should be a simple toggle to enable or disable the "Aggressive" mode per user's preference.
    That DPI issue is really a mess. And the Nokia 8.1 is not the only device facing it. The moment you touch display size on font on any of the Nokia devices on Android Pie, the world starts falling apart. This is something that needs immediate attention. I'm more concerned about those who do not have good evesight and want to increase the display size.

• @Anantha Ramakrishnan appreciate your time to give review on 8.1, I agree on camera rating as it has overexposed selfie camera and rear camera cant do much and has less brightness, reduces resolutions while taking pics indoor but pro mode is good if you know photography skills. @singhnsk I agree in terms of Google camera app doesn't deserve that much rating as it lack in pro but indeed has best night mode effect. 
    It's end of the month and no update to fix camera issues. 
  • singhnsk said:
    Really a nice review. Other than you giving 5/5 to Google Camera which doesn't offer pro mode at all, and cutting those from stock which at least gives you some options, you have summed up most of the issues really very well.
    HDR10: You can manage the PureDisplay settings in: Settings > Display. So, you can change it from Dynamic to something that you like (probably Vivid).
    Edit: I just realized that you have already looked at the options and this isn't what you're looking for.
    As for the background apps, my essential apps have not stopped working. But probably their functionality is limited. For example, when I wake up, my WhatsApp notifications are there, but the backup only starts uploading when I unlock the screen. Yes, the background activity should be improved or there should be a simple toggle to enable or disable the "Aggressive" mode per user's preference.
    That DPI issue is really a mess. And the Nokia 8.1 is not the only device facing it. The moment you touch display size on font on any of the Nokia devices on Android Pie, the world starts falling apart. This is something that needs immediate attention. I'm more concerned about those who do not have good evesight and want to increase the display size.

Actually Whats-app is not essentially a background classified app. Because when messages are sent from other people's phones the message is actually pushed to your phone irrelevant whether the app is running or not! But apps such as Sony life-log and mi band apps are consistently in memory and being killed and revived again! 

And as for the DPI issue there will be no problem for people with evesight  as everything is already bigger i just want to decrease the size to what i specified which ain't happening!   

• @Anantha Ramakrishnan appreciate your time to give review on 8.1, I agree on camera rating as it has overexposed selfie camera and rear camera cant do much and has less brightness, reduces resolutions while taking pics indoor but pro mode is good if you know photography skills. @singhnsk I agree in terms of Google camera app doesn't deserve that much rating as it lack in pro but indeed has best night mode effect. 
    The PRO mode here is literally useless because this was the same app that i usewd  years ago in Lumia 520 the fact is that Lumia had better pro capture that this one i used to do light painting like this 

I tired to take the same shot and it was extremely exposed in N 8.1. Completely useless!

And you can't disregard Google camera just simply like that just because it doesn't have a pro mode. Users just want to capture the best moments with finer details in less period of time Google's HDR+ and night sight are still unparalleled ( https://ai.googleblog.com/2014/10/hdr-low-light-and-high-dynamic-range.html, https://ai.googleblog.com/2014/04/lens-blur-in-new-google-camera-app.html,
    https://ai.googleblog.com/2018/10/see-better-and-further-with-super-res.html ) Nokia's engineers suck hard in research! . I don't know why Nokia's app is a big letdown, can't Nokia hire better engineers? 
  • @Anantha Ramakrishnan I agree I was expecting far better camera in this range and yes google cam has better detailing and click more natural pictures. I was amazed by the result I took from night mode first time, it drawback is that it clicks upto 5MP front pictures. I hope in future they provide app in which front camera has at least 12 MP OR MORE. 
  • wyk wyk
    **  /  edited January 27
    @Anantha Ramakrishnan appreciate your time to give review on 8.1, I agree on camera rating as it has overexposed selfie camera and rear camera cant do much and has less brightness, reduces resolutions while taking pics indoor but pro mode is good if you know photography skills. @singhnsk I agree in terms of Google camera app doesn't deserve that much rating as it lack in pro but indeed has best night mode effect. 
    The PRO mode here is literally useless because this was the same app that i usewd  years ago in Lumia 520 the fact is that Lumia had better pro capture that this one i used to do light painting like this 

I tired to take the same shot and it was extremely exposed in N 8.1. Completely useless!

And you can't disregard Google camera just simply like that just because it doesn't have a pro mode. Users just want to capture the best moments with finer details in less period of time Google's HDR+ and night sight are still unparalleled ( https://ai.googleblog.com/2014/10/hdr-low-light-and-high-dynamic-range.html, https://ai.googleblog.com/2014/04/lens-blur-in-new-google-camera-app.html,
    https://ai.googleblog.com/2018/10/see-better-and-further-with-super-res.html ) Nokia's engineers suck hard in research! . I don't know why Nokia's app is a big letdown, can't Nokia hire better engineers? 
    same experience to me too tried to take a lot of light trails with lowest exposure & highest value of shutter while adjust balanced ISO..  the resultant image just got overexposed & sometime looks white burned. but my lumia 720, 730 took perfect shots with same settings.

GCam is fully using HDR conception merging bunch of images to make it brighter as a result night sight looks like magic. while Hmd camera also can take bright image with pro mode but that will be too grainy too noisy with hazy edges. 
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    **  / 
    Actually Whats-app is not essentially a background classified app. Because when messages are sent from other people's phones the message is actually pushed to your phone irrelevant whether the app is running or not! But apps such as Sony life-log and mi band apps are consistently in memory and being killed and revived again!
    That's agreeable. And yes, as I noted, its usual backup which should happen at 2AM or so gets postponed and only completes when the device wakes up in the morning. But what is different is that the app resumes its backup, indicating that it was able to auto-start. Whereas this won't be the case for smartwatch apps or the others. I mean those are just unable to wake up automatically. I hope I am making sense.
    And as for the DPI issue there will be no problem for people with evesight  as everything is already bigger i just want to decrease the size to what i specified which ain't happening! 
    Would differ per user's preferences. My dad likes to keep the size one level above the default. You'll probably see such a need as you pass some 50 years of age. Yes, DPI issue is a problem on either side of size and should be fixed :) 

• wyk wyk
    **  /  edited January 27
    the magic 

i dare HMD to do the same... as both hav OIS. 
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    **  / 
    And you can't disregard Google camera just simply like that just because it doesn't have a pro mode. Users just want to capture the best moments with finer details in less period of time Google's HDR+ and night sight are still unparalleled. Nokia's engineers suck hard in research! . I don't know why Nokia's app is a big letdown, can't Nokia hire better engineers? 
    Whilst I do agree on this, the problem is that Google's AI is unparalleled. Even Samsung or Apple cannot make its camera app as good as Google's, at least in terms of low-light outputs. Google has the power to guess the missing pixels of how it should be. Sam App and others do make significantly better camera apps and output as compared to Nokia's. I also agree that Nokia's Lumia days era was much more centric on photography with one of the best outputs from cellphone cameras.
    The new Nokia is still catching up with the old tech. On one side is Google, with immense database of photos to analyze, understand and improve. Your free Google photos storage gives them more of it to analyze and learn from. On the other side is HMD Global, which is too young with only some 2 years of experience and limited monetary and non-monetary resources to invest. I believe it will take them a few years before they can once again say that they got something special in their camera department.
  • Why have you posted again? You already posted this before, you are just posting same thread again. This is not allowed. 
  • Why have you posted again? You already posted this before, you are just posting same thread again. This is not allowed. 
    I didn't post it. Idiotic Nokia forums has bugs of their own
  • @Anantha Ramakrishnan why are you sounding so frustrated with NOKIA? Even I do because of camera but you sounding more 😂
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    **  / 
    Why have you posted again? You already posted this before, you are just posting same thread again. This is not allowed. 
    I didn't post it. Idiotic Nokia forums has bugs of their own
    Some posts are held for moderation when the filer detects some proficiency. The forum should notify the user that his post is held for moderation so that the user doesn't post again.
  • I m also not happy with the camera ....🤣🤣but atlst i can do multitasking....
  • Argho Sarkar Argho Sarkar
    **  /  edited January 29
    So on November 2017 i bought Xiaomi MiA1 for 15k, you know what it was exceptional. In that release time for the amount of money it was great, then later December i wanted to change the phone with something special not too costly i couldn't afford flagships at 40k nor i don't what these mediocre 6xx series so i searched online just at the time Nokia 8.1 was going to be released on DEC 24 i think! I must be one of the first 10 people on the release day to buy this phone at amazon.in i was curious because of the HDR10 screen and S710 performance being on par with S835. Then i got it after 3 days. It was a mixed feelings on the first day of usage, many bugs caught my eye especially the background process getting killed, i mean how can (or) is it even legal for Nokia or HMD to kill apps that even after i give the permission being killed?  Seriously Nokia do you need another big fail like you guys got killed in windows market? So here's my review section by section

BUILD QUALITY : 
    4.5 / 5 
    Exceptional build quality glass back and the center metal frame it looks absolutely fabulous. I know many people feel a bit letdown about the corning gorilla situation as some officials claim its not CG3 protected, and some other tech. The fact is that the screen quality is well done part, i dropped it twice with in the first week both involving 1 meter falls guess what? the screen acquired so less damage that i ever thought. The 0.5 which lacks in my rating is due to the camera placement. WORST DECISION EVER. 

DISPLAY QUALITY : 
    3.5 / 5 
    Good is all you can say about the screen nothing exceptional like that of Nokia it claims to be. The 1.5 score lack is because of 2 reasons. HDR 10 is one of the major reasons why i bought this phone, so essentially we must be able to see higher intensity and wide of colors, which actually ASUS Max pro M1 did with out HDR on a YouTube HDR video comparison. SHAME! Secondly the pure display concept is seriously SHAM . There are 4 different pure display options Dynamic, Vivid, Cinema, Basic - basically (Dynamic, Vivid) are the same and (Cinema, Basic) are same.

Camera :
    2 / 5
    - You all know that front camera is OVEREXPOSED no one is going to say nay here!
    - back camera is not up to the mark. Especially i expected the shutter speed to go up to 32 sec on pro mode as my old Nokia 520 did 4 sec  6 year back. With all the advancement in tech all you guys at Nokia achieved 4 sec that too not working as excepted. Light painting is terrible seriously!

5 / 5 on Google camera
    The lord and Savior is here. As the device originally supports camera api 2,  hence all the people who bought this phone are saved! 

Sound :
    3.5 / 5 
    Nothing great here just normal. As you guys didn't deliver any audio add on even in Nokia 8 sirocco, I'm not expecting anything here! just mediocre sound. (DOLBY INCLUSION COULD HAVE BEEN LOVELY)

Battery :
    5 / 5
    Adaptive battery is doing wonders in battery standby and the quick charge delivers exceptional charging speed. Nothing more to say here.

Software:
    2 / 5 
    As a software developer myself and a big android enthusiast, i get irritated if the things didn't work as they supposed to.
    - I don't like to see bulky things big text and bigger icons i just don't like it, so i went do display settings > i decreased the the display size and font size which came to a value of 485 PPI which the OS never did apply every thing was big as usual, but sometimes rarely it did scaled the resolution and after sometime it resorted to lower values BY ITSELF(WHAT EVER I SET DIDN'T SEEM TO TAKE EFFECT) ill be attaching picture proof for this.
    - Do not expect your background apps to function as expected. NOKIA IS KILLING THE BACKGROUND PROCESS MERCILESSLY. Solution: https://dontkillmyapp.com/nokia follow the steps in OTHER NOKIA MODELS to regain freedom for all background functionality. For example my SONY LIFE-LOG which logs pretty much everything (steps count, browsing time , music time etc etc) i do didn't work! and my mi band sleep tracker which usually tells the amount of time i slept after i unlock my phone in MiA1 didn't show up on N 8.1  due to the background app killing. 
    - Watching HDR YouTube videos phone automatically enables Cinema mode. A stupid yellow tint overlays on the video which makes the video unwatchable

ARCore video samples 

Very very honest review Anantha Ramakrishnan.. literally matched each of my thoughts .. Although I am happy with my Nokia 8.1 except for its front camera that's the only concern for me yet
  • Yep agreed. Pure display does nothing. Like literally nothing. We have LCD screens not oled so pure display was supposed to make the screen more vibrant but. After a month of usage the one conclusion I've come to is, this phone sucks. Phone doesn't fast charge anymore takes 3 hours to do so. Apps get killed in between switching 3 or 4 apps. Camera flickers a lot before getting focused on something. Games become laggy. And most important of them all. I love stock android so I was about to buy zenfone 5z which was around 25k at the time I bought this phone. It has snap 845 and a much better camera. Also without the jitters. But I read android one. So I opted for snap 710 but android one. What's the point of it? If we didn't even get the january SP? 3 days till january ends and still no update? My brother has a oneplus 6, and 2 friends have 5t both of them got jan update but what about android one powered nokia? Promised so much still yet provided so little stuff. And not to mention one plus 6 had a 5k discount at that time on specific bank cards it was like 31k or something. I could've just paid 3 k more and gotten a phone that does so much more. Tell me if I'm wrong. I still state after a month of usage this phone is my worst buy ever.
  • nitheesh nitheesh
     /  edited January 29
    Hi everyone,
    The January security patch is released in India. It's a 67.2 MB update.

• it's only security update. No stability fixes
  • nitheesh nitheesh
     /  edited January 29
    it's only security update. No stability fixes
    Yes, but the front camera over sharpness issue was resolved.
  • nitheesh nitheesh
     /  edited January 29
    @Anantha Ramakrishnan One small clarification, you are using Nokia 8.1 with Android Pie, right?
    Because comparing with your screenshot, the battery percentage position is showing differently. 
    If it's pie, how you did this? asking just for curiosity :#
  • nitheesh nitheesh
     /  edited January 29

Yes, I know that. But when I enable the Battery percentage, it's showing inside the battery. That's why I am asking :)  Any secret recipe ;)

• nitin kachare nitin kachare
    **  /  edited January 29

BUILD QUALITY : 
    4.5 / 5 

DISPLAY QUALITY : 
    3.5 / 5 

Camera :
    2 / 5

5 / 5 on Google camera

Sound :
    3.5 / 5 

Battery :
    5 / 5

Software:
    2 / 5 
    - And so called Nokia promise on monthly security updates are surely a joke, its January 27 right now and no one has received Jan sec update till now 

ARCore video samples 

You have to set your favourite application battery setting as not optimized and not restricted in adaptive battery then it will work in background all the time 24 hours.Mine is working i.e.trucaller,call recording,applock,etc.
    if you have bluetooth device then set Bluetooth i.e.System App battery Optimization settings as not optimized.if you want to work all of them then disable adaptive battery.

set battery optimization as not optimize.
  • @Anantha Ramakrishnan hey even I want to know how did you do that battery percentage showing next to sign of battery? You got extra featured device?🤣 @nitheesh agreed, even imI curious now, well done you noticed what a exact thing. 😎
  • @nimisha gupta
    @nitheesh

Before update my  battery percentages were shown like that. But after update its inside the indicator 

• So on November 2017 i bought Xiaomi MiA1 for 15k, you know what it was exceptional. In that release time for the amount of money it was great, then later December i wanted to change the phone with something special not too costly i couldn't afford flagships at 40k nor i don't what these mediocre 6xx series so i searched online just at the time Nokia 8.1 was going to be released on DEC 24 i think! I must be one of the first 10 people on the release day to buy this phone at amazon.in i was curious because of the HDR10 screen and S710 performance being on par with S835. Then i got it after 3 days. It was a mixed feelings on the first day of usage, many bugs caught my eye especially the background process getting killed, i mean how can (or) is it even legal for Nokia or HMD to kill apps that even after i give the permission being killed?  Seriously Nokia do you need another big fail like you guys got killed in windows market? So here's my review section by section

BUILD QUALITY : 
    4.5 / 5 

DISPLAY QUALITY : 
    3.5 / 5 

Camera :
    2 / 5

5 / 5 on Google camera

Sound :
    3.5 / 5 

Battery :
    5 / 5

Software:
    2 / 5 

ARCore video samples 

You have to set your favourite application battery setting as not optimized and not restricted in adaptive battery then it will work in background all the time 24 hours.Mine is working i.e.trucaller,call recording,applock,etc.
    if you have bluetooth device then set Bluetooth i.e.System App battery Optimization settings as not optimized.if you want to work all of them then disable adaptive battery.

trucaller,call recording,applock are not background apps mate. They are and will operate in foreground. But just try sony life log and tell me if it works i.e records any data al all!!!!
  • @Anantha Ramakrishnan you got into right place after update 😂
  • nitin kachare nitin kachare
    **  /  edited January 29

BUILD QUALITY : 
    4.5 / 5 

DISPLAY QUALITY : 
    3.5 / 5 

Camera :
    2 / 5

5 / 5 on Google camera

Sound :
    3.5 / 5 

Battery :
    5 / 5

Software:
    2 / 5 

ARCore video samples 

trucaller,call recording,applock are not background apps mate. They are and will operate in foreground. But just try sony life log and tell me if it works i.e records any data al all!!!!
    What about vidmate,share it,google music,whats app,Twitter,facebook aren't they running in background.