BUILD QUALITY :
4.5 / 5
Exceptional build quality glass back and the center metal frame it looks absolutely fabulous. I know many people feel a bit letdown about the corning gorilla situation as some officials claim its not CG3 protected, and some other tech. The fact is that the screen quality is well done part, i dropped it twice with in the first week both involving 1 meter falls guess what? the screen acquired so less damage that i ever thought. The 0.5 which lacks in my rating is due to the camera placement. WORST DECISION EVER.
DISPLAY QUALITY :
3.5 / 5
Good is all you can say about the screen nothing exceptional like that of Nokia it claims to be. The 1.5 score lack is because of 2 reasons. HDR 10 is one of the major reasons why i bought this phone, so essentially we must be able to see higher intensity and wide of colors, which actually ASUS Max pro M1 did with out HDR on a YouTube HDR video comparison. SHAME! Secondly the pure display concept is seriously SHAM . There are 4 different pure display options Dynamic, Vivid, Cinema, Basic - basically (Dynamic, Vivid) are the same and (Cinema, Basic) are same.
2 / 5
Exceptionally useless (NOT THE CAMERA BUT THE CAMERA APP)
- You all know that front camera is OVEREXPOSED no one is going to say nay here!
- back camera is not up to the mark. Especially i expected the shutter speed to go up to 32 sec on pro mode as my old Nokia 520 did 4 sec 6 year back. With all the advancement in tech all you guys at Nokia achieved 4 sec that too not working as excepted. Light painting is terrible seriously!
5 / 5 on Google camera
The lord and Savior is here. As the device originally supports camera api 2, hence all the people who bought this phone are saved!
3.5 / 5
Nothing great here just normal. As you guys didn't deliver any audio add on even in Nokia 8 sirocco, I'm not expecting anything here! just mediocre sound. (DOLBY INCLUSION COULD HAVE BEEN LOVELY)
5 / 5
Adaptive battery is doing wonders in battery standby and the quick charge delivers exceptional charging speed. Nothing more to say here.
2 / 5
As a software developer myself and a big android enthusiast, i get irritated if the things didn't work as they supposed to.
- I don't like to see bulky things big text and bigger icons i just don't like it, so i went do display settings > i decreased the the display size and font size which came to a value of 485 PPI which the OS never did apply every thing was big as usual, but sometimes rarely it did scaled the resolution and after sometime it resorted to lower values BY ITSELF(WHAT EVER I SET DIDN'T SEEM TO TAKE EFFECT) ill be attaching picture proof for this.
- Do not expect your background apps to function as expected. NOKIA IS KILLING THE BACKGROUND PROCESS MERCILESSLY. Solution: https://dontkillmyapp.com/nokia follow the steps in OTHER NOKIA MODELS to regain freedom for all background functionality. For example my SONY LIFE-LOG which logs pretty much everything (steps count, browsing time , music time etc etc) i do didn't work! and my mi band sleep tracker which usually tells the amount of time i slept after i unlock my phone in MiA1 didn't show up on N 8.1 due to the background app killing.
- Watching HDR YouTube videos phone automatically enables Cinema mode. A stupid yellow tint overlays on the video which makes the video unwatchable
- Memory management is worse. PUBG randomly crashes, Apps lag
- And so called Nokia promise on monthly security updates are surely a joke, its January 27 right now and no one has received Jan sec update till now
Surprise i did not know when i bought the phone
- ARCore supported phone
* Camera samples provided here on only from google camera
* Screenshot 1 showing the PPI 485 didn't apply
* Screenshot 2 showing the PPI 485 applied randomly
ARCore video samples