US AT&T LTE

Hi Guys,  Recently purchased a Nokia 6.1 from Amazon (TA-1045).  I noticed when I placed my AT&T sim in it it only showed 4G in the notification area, no LTE.  My old Samsung always showed 4G/LTE.  Is this normal?  Data speeds seem like LTE and when I enter *#*#4636#*#* it shows LTE under both the voice and data network type.

US AT&T LTE

System System
 /  edited June 7

Hi Guys, 

Recently purchased a Nokia 6.1 from Amazon (TA-1045).  I noticed when I placed my AT&T sim in it it only showed 4G in the notification area, no LTE.  My old Samsung always showed 4G/LTE.  Is this normal?  Data speeds seem like LTE and when I enter *#*#4636#*#* it shows LTE under both the voice and data network type.

Additionally,  under "Set Preferred Network Type" is shows "unknown".  When I change this setting to "LTE/UMTS auto (PRL)"  (this is what the AT&T purchased Samsung used) it just defaults back to "unknown" when the phone is restarted.  Any way to set this permanently?  I talked with AT&T and they added my IMEI to their records so that should be OK.

Sorry if I am seem a little dumb, first time with an unlocked phone - always let the carrier set things up before.

Thanks for any help or information.

Comments

• d-mi d-mi
    ✭✭✭  /  edited June 7
    Go to settings>Network & Internet>mobile network>advanced and enable enhanced 4G LTE mode. Settings may varry due to the models available in different markets. Or simply search for "enhanced 4G LTE mode in the settings and enable it. You'll see the LTE notification in the status bar.
  • Unknown
     / 
    Thanks for the suggestion but that is not the problem. Enhanced 4g LTE mode is on and has been on the whole time. A little worried, afriad I may not be getting LTE which would be a step back from my old Samsung. Thinking of returning if I can't get this figured out.
  • d-mi d-mi
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Try switching to LTE only in the preferred network type. And another case maybe some carrier doesn't provide the same LTE bands as the mobile has support for. Try with another carrier and see the results.
  • d-mi d-mi
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Is this happening after and update, and what is the security patch currently installed? If this is happening after an update try resetting/delete your existing APN and set it again with proper details from your service provider, see if it does help, and also in the phone info turn off "mobile radio power" and then turn it back on.
  • Unknown
     / 
    Changing preferred network makes no difference. Besides phone keeps switching back to "unknown". Can't change carrier as only other in my area is Verizon.

When I run Signal check app it shows connected to LTE band 1900.
  • d-mi d-mi
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Mine is TA-1089 and someone had the same issue with this model as yours but in another carrier than that of mine because I never had such issue on my carrier the LTE shows there in the status bar. Here's the link to that topic. And it seems it was an issue with his service provider and has been resolved after talking to them.

https://community.phones.nokia.com/support/discussions/topics/7000020706
  • Unknown
     /  edited June 7
    Thanks for all your help. I have spoken to AT&T a couple times. They have tried a few things but nothing worked. May have to return phone (gee, I really liked it otherwise). Guess I'll see if I can pick up something like an AT&T version of the Moto G6 which AT&T is selling.

Thanks again.
  • d-mi d-mi
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Showing the LTE in the status bar isn't a big deal as long as you got the services working but yeah if that concerns you with the usability of the phone then definitely go for the options. :)
  • murph murph
    ✭✭  /  edited June 7
    4G and LTE are basically one and the same. If it shows 4G in the status bar, you're on LTE data.
  • I'm on T-Mobile and it says LTE next to the phone icon and 4G next to the Cellular signal meter. You should be fine. If WiFi calling is enabled you may not see the LTE next to the phone icon.
  • Unknown
     / 
    Thanks. T-Mobile does a much better job than AT&T in dealing with unlocked phones. WiFi calling is off but still no LTE symbol next to phone icon. I think I am fine as well, it is just a little disconcerting.
  • I don't blame you one bit. That would also drive me nuts if I didn't know for sure I was getting LTE. BTW how is your call volume? My phone calls are very low on T-Mobile despite having the volume slider all the way up. It's the same either with the earpiece on the phone or using my Bluetooth in my car. I can barely hear calls. That has been the most frustrating thing with the phone for me. I stopped using it because of that, hoping for a fix.
  • Unknown
     / 
    Call vol seems fine. I know what you mean about update. Generally like the phone but does seem buggy.
  • d-mi d-mi
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I hope google will look out for the Nokia phones under the Android One program as Nokia doesn't have much hands on the software part. Otherwise it's a solid phone just need a quality software support from Google.
  • d-mi d-mi
    ✭✭✭  / 
    All I have ever used is a nokia first a Symbian Nokia C5-03 then Lumia 730 and now Nokia 6.1. I used each phone for years as it's from Nokia and you can rely on the quality product. I hope they will maintain that quality this time around also.
  • Unknown
     /  edited June 8
    It is my hope as well as they try to re-establish the brand as a leader. I think HMD.is rather small at this time and therefore use a lot of subcontractors. - always hard to pull a new product together with many hands in the pot. As long as bugs are minor and addressed in a timely manner I will hang in there.
  • Unknown
     / 

I have the same issue, but have more to share. I bought my husband his Nokia 6.1 at Best Buy. I bought my about 2 weeks later from Amazon. We are both on the same AT&T plan. I popped his sim card out and put in the new one and his phone shows a phone icon with LTE to the left of the 4G icon. (as long as wifi is off). Mine does not show the LTE icon when they are side by side. For mine, I had to go to AT&T and get a new nano size sim card. Even went back with phones side by side for help. The checked all the settings, they are fine. Both phones have the same updates. Everything is identical except purchase location. I'm about to get a new one from amazon or just return it and get the Best Buy phone, but they were out of stock.  At least now, I can order one. 

• Unknown
     / 

I believe I read your 3 star review on Amazon.  I purchased mine from Amazon as well and received it on 6/3/18.  I simply transferred my existing nano SIM from a cheap Samsung and everything worked but no LTE icon.  Talked with AT&T support and they set up the IMEI on my phone but still no difference.  My old Samsung always indicated LTE with the same nano SIM.

If I enter *#*#4636#*#* on the phone it will show the connection as LTE and the voice and data networks as LTE.  I did notice that the preferred network type showed as "unknown".  On my Samsung it shows as "LTE/UMTS auto (PRL)".  When I set it to that it makes no difference and if I turn the phone off and on it defaults back to "Unknown"

I downloaded an app called SignalCheck and it states the connection is LTE Band 1900 mhz (which AT&T does use for LTE).

Below you will see the Speedtest results I get,  Ignore the 6/6/18 at 9:37 PM, that is a WiFi connection.

I am torn, everything I can see tells me I am LTE except a tiny little icon on the screen and the phone certainly performs as if my data connection is LTE.

• It sounds like you have done everything I tried. Maybe I really am on LTE, but why would one phone have the LTE logo and the other one doesn't? Besides the purchase location, the only other difference is that his phone was manufactured 3/2018 and mine 5/2018. The older one has the LTE logo. Seems odd they would purposefully remove that feature. Amazon has been really great about helping out. They are sending me a new phone. I'm just not sure it's their issue. Nokia has also responded. I sent them several screen shots from both of our phones. I'll wait to hear from them before I open the new phone from Amazon. 

• Let us know how you make out. It would have been interesting to put your husband's SIM in your phone and see what happened. I really liked the phone but because of this issue returned to Amazon on Sat. for a refund.
  • Ditzney  - Wow, I'm actually embarrassed. I've gone to all this trouble to test it and I didn't think to swap sim cards? Egads. Well, I'll try it. He's out of town today, but will be back tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Keep me posted, I would definitely re- buy if this could be fixed. I did notice when I checked SIM status under settings my old Samsung showed LTE but the Nokia showed 4G.

• If I were you, I would just go to Att today and see if they can just get you a new SIM card. It usually doesn't take long and they should do it for free. It's pretty common to have issues due to bad SIm cards, it's something they do all the time.
  • user1528476236499 - Did you get your replacement from Amazon?  If so, how did you make out?

Regards

• Hi Ditzney. I also have a 6.1 (TA-1045) purchased from Amazon, on AT&T. I have no trouble at all, my phone shows the LTE symbol. Like you, I swapped the sim from my previous phone. Out of curiosity, does your APN show ATT Nextgenphone? If not, perhaps that might be the issue? Just a thought...

• Hi. Yes it was NXTGENPHONE. I went to AT&T support and made sure all the data settings for non-AT&T android devices were set properly. Befuddling, seems fine for some and not for others.
  • Here's the latest update on my saga. Amazon did send me a new phone. I have not opened it yet because now I believe it's not the phone. Upon Ditzney's suggestion, I swapped hubby's sim card into my phone. LTE showed up on my phone. Same thing with both kids' sim cards too. Therefore, it's my sim card. AT&T agreed. They gave me a new sim card. Nope, same story, no LTE. Gave daughter a new sim card in a failed attempt to give me her old one. Her new sim card got LTE on my phone. So it's not the stores sim card stash. The store employee called their special tech people. They couldn't solve the problem. The employee noticed hubby's account still showed he had a samsung but mine said Nokia.We switched mine back to my old LG that used to get LTE. Still didn't work. After an hour of this i gave up. He gave me another tech support number i can call when I have time to deal with them. So I'll give it a shot. What is the APN and nextgenphone setting? I'm not sure I know what that one is.

•  user1528476236499 - you can check the APN setting by going to Settings>Network & Internet>Mobile network>Advanced>Access Point Names.

You'll see a list of APN's. ATT Nextgenphone (nxtgenphone) should be on the list and checked as the one being used. If you don't see it listed, you can add it manually. Follow the instructions here-

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1218306

Go to the portion that says "Program data settings for non-AT&T Android device". You'll get step by step instructions.

• user1528476236499 - I think I will call you "L" in the future if you don't mind.  I keep messing up typing all those numbers .

APN stands for Access Point Name.  You can get to it via SETTINGS>CONNECTIONS>MOBILE NETWORKS>ACCESS POINT NAMES.  Mine was set correctly and made no difference in the attempt to get LTE.  If you go here www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1062162 it will give you all the settings required for non-AT&T android devices, everything was correct on my Nokia 6.1 still no LTE.

Additionally, when I did SETTINGS>CONNECTIONS>STATUS>SIM CARD STATUS on my Nokia it showed 4G, same thing after putting the SIM card back in the old Samsung and it shows LTE.  Some time feel that we are getting LTE it is just that this SIM card status is incorrect and that is why we are not getting the icon.

I am really confused.  Loved the phone but this made me nervous but if I could confirm the only thing I am missing is an icon and that is due to the way AT&T does things I would probably repurchase it.  BTW - Don't you think it is strange that nobody from Nokia has made a comment?  I mean I know this is a user forum but you would think they monitor it and would try to help resolve the issue to protect current and futures sales.  They certainly know a lot more than me.

Gotta love Amazon service though.  They refunded my purchase the same day I dropped the phone off for return.

• user1528980431721 response for getting to the APN is probably more accurate than mine as they were probably on Oreo and I was using my old phone which is using Nougat.

I think this is an AT&T issue and not Nokia.  I would probably have the same problem no matter whose unlocked phone I purchased.  Personally, I am just going to move on.  Life is too short to create problems for ones self.  I have received my refund from Amazon and will just stick with my old phone for now.  I am not under contract so I can investigate other carriers if I so choose.

For those of you who do not have any issues I think you will enjoy your Nokia 6.1, it seems like a great phone.  Thanks to all who have attempted to help.  It is rare you can go to these forums and find users who are polite and knowledgeable.  It has been a pleasure communicating with all of you.

In the words of Mr. Spock, "Live long and prosper."

Prev1