Google Family Link Locks (and Changes) Time Settings

I installed the Google Family Link app (child version) on my Nokia 7.1 and configured it with my Google Families account as a child account.

Google Family Link Locks (and Changes) Time Settings

KevinW KevinW
✭✭  / 
I installed the Google Family Link app (child version) on my Nokia 7.1 and configured it with my Google Families account as a child account. As soon as I did, though, the phone changed the time to one hour ahead of what it should be. After checking the time settings (which are all greyed out), I saw that the timezone was set to GMT-5. My timezone is GMT-6 which I previously had set on the device but was now changed by installing Google Family Link. I previously had to set the timezone because there is no SIM card and no cellular network provider providing the time to the device.
My assumption is the fact that there is no SIM card is affecting how the Nokia device sets the time when it goes under device administration.

I've contacted Google Family Link support and they haven't been much help.

Can anyone else confirm this same behaviour? Any suggestions?

Comments

• The Family Link app locks the time zone in order to prevent a child from bypassing time restrictions by changing the time zone. I don't use the app, so I'm not sure why it would change the time zone when installing. Maybe it loads a default time zone when no data connection is present? Have you connected the phone to wifi before installing the app, so that the time zone can be updated automatically?
  • KevinW KevinW
    ✭✭  / 
    Yes, it makes sense that the Family Link app locks the timezone for the reason you indicated.
    Yes, I've tried to disconnecting and reconnecting to the Family Link app over 3 times and the phone has always been on wifi the whole time but being on wifi doesn't make the phone get the correct timezone - I've always needed to set the timezone manually.
    I know this is a Nokia 7.1 + Family Link issue because my other child has a OnePlus 3T and it works properly (it also has no SIM card) because it leaves the timezone alone when Family Link is activated.
  • KevinW KevinW
    ✭✭  / 
    Looks like this might be just a timezone bug?
  • have you solved this ???? I am facing the same issue. how do I solve this ??? please help me.

• KevinW KevinW
    ✭✭  / 

No, sorry. The Nokia 7.1 died and I never solved this.

Don't buy Nokia.