Nokia 8 - Pie - new discussions

It would be nice if new discussions in this forum would really be new discussions.

Nokia 8 - Pie - new discussions

jdan jdan
✭✭✭  / 

It would be nice if new discussions in this forum would really be new discussions. That would not only be good for the regular visitor but it would also be a more valuable, easy-view for Nokia programmers (if they ever visit this forum).

Android Pie for Nokia 8 was first released towards the end of December in some countries - I received Pie on 22 December. Up till now everyone gets build v5.110. It seems to be (almost exactly) the same build as the beta released a few days earlier. Because Pie on Nokia 8 misses lots of functions that other smartphones seem to have, it is perhaps only a (beautiful) facelift - learn more about this version of Pie on Nokia 8 on this site.

• Lots of people that have received Pie feel that they have been let down, because Nokia didn't keep its promise. Please post your reaction here.
  • Lots of other people in different countries still haven't received Android Pie, which really is bad policy by Nokia (or the local mobile provider?). Complaints, questions etc. can be made here
  • The bug about the compass in Pie: post your comments, solutions or workarounds here.
  • Lots of people have complaints about the stock camera, especially in low light. The present app (86.9.1130.21) tries to overcome these problems, but people still are dissatisfied. Please post your findings here
  • If you use gcam instead of the standard camera post your findings here.
  • The standard camera has its merits, though. If you have any tips or tricks, post them here.
If you want to start a new discussion, can you try to describe the new topic as acurately as possible in the title, please? As a regular visitor of this forum I greatly appreciate recent titles as Nokia 8 - Pie - Widevine or Nokia 8 - Pie - fingerprint sensor etc.

Comments

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Very well structured - thank you! I hope that as many as possible follow this system (although I have my doubts because it doesn't leave so many possibilities for complaining ... B) )
    You forgot to link one thread (although you mentioned it yourself):

• Jivko Antonov Jivko Antonov
    ✭✭✭  / 
    This problem is solved for me after the January security patch from yesterday. No more missing fingerprints after depletion of the battery. Tested this 2 times already.
  • Joel Jaramillo Joel Jaramillo
    ✭✭  / 
    Compass issue still persists. Has anyone found a workaround?
  • Nokia 8 updated pie in India
  • user1508938037450 user1508938037450
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @Jdan Nice Idea. But, I don't know, if this is useful. All problems you show are themes in different threads. We have/ had great discussions, but no really NEWS. All's would said. In one point I'm agree with you. We discussed much, to much in to much different threads. But what are the reasons for this? HMD and her "great Support", could it be? 

And yes, this is the community of HMD. The community was founded BY HMD. 

But, I don't believe that HMD is interessted in to read here. More, they are not interessted in on our problems. 

When they would reading here (they should it do), I think, many of this problems should be to solved since many weeks. But, you know the "results". 😒

This community with his threads is a good base for our discussions. But useless to inform or contact HMD. So useless as to contact the support. Here will you get to "answers". 1.) "WE DON'T KNOW THE/ A PROBLEM". or 2.) "WE KNOW THE PROBLEM, BUT WE CAN DO NOTHING. WE WILL INFORM THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM. PLEASE WAIT. NEWS WILL BE AVAILABLE SOON". That's all!

Answers via Twitter by Juho Sarvikas are not coming, too. He is only interessted in to speak about HMD/ Nokia, the "GREAT". About his/ her "good" results, not about her mistakes.

We can write ever and ever in x new threads, but it doesn't will change the situation. It makes not better for the Nokia 8. I think, they dislike her Nokia 8, and the best would be to "close" the capture "Nokia 8".

On surprises I don't believe. Not by HMD. 
  • @swami- you sure it's pie and not security patch for January?? Which is your mobile service provider? Nothing yet in Bangalore...my carrier is Vodafone
  • martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited January 31
    My observation is that many people obviously have no patience / desire / leisure to really deal with an already existing thread (= to READ!) and therefore prefer to open a new one ...
    ... as @jdan said: How often can you "settle" the question / request of a new thread by a simple reference to a post in another thread?!
    And @user1508938037450: As I have already written elsewhere ( ;) ) it makes very well sense to exchange information among the users here and then to link in a mail to the support to the corresponding thread in the forum!

• Hi all,
    sorry for my ignorance if this has been answered a million times already but since my update to Pie a couple of days ago I noticed quite a significant change in how fast the battery was draining and just wondered if this is a common problem?
    Thanks
  • Neeksy said:
    Hi all,
    sorry for my ignorance if this has been answered a million times already but since my update to Pie a couple of days ago I noticed quite a significant change in how fast the battery was draining and just wondered if this is a common problem?
    Thanks
    Yeah, it is a common problem and I don't think January's security update will fix it. With Android 8.1 my battery lasted almost for 2 full days but now barely 1 day :-/
    Hopefully next update fixes it.
  • Jivko Antonov Jivko Antonov
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Today tested Nokia 5 2017, already with Pie.
    You can't imagine how better is this phone, compared with Nokia 8.
    Even the camera app is updated and is the same version as Nokia 7.1,8.1,6.1.... like all other Nokia phones.
    There really has to be a serious reason for all this delay to real stable Pie version with new camera.
  • I was told over the weekend by a nokia employee that they are not going to fix the widevine l1 issue with phones that supported it before the android pie update.
  • jdan jdan
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Today tested Nokia 5 2017, the camera app is updated and is the same version as Nokia 7.1,8.1,6.1.... like all other Nokia phones.
    Hopefully they eventually give us a similar version. I think that this is the ultimate aim really. Our Nokia 8 camera app already resembles the one of Nokia 7.1 (in July) in many ways - see https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/comment/81014#Comment_81014

• As of Today, Monday 11th February, Over here in East Africa.  Kenya to be precise... We still don't have an official Pie released to update.. Still on the Beta version which is so buggy .. I was hoping that with the stable pie update, the fingerprint getting erased issue will be fixed. But so far with what I am reading with the compass bug too, then I am disappointed with HMD. A lot of us have been reporting on the same issues since the beta release but it seems it all went to deaf ears.. Still a long way to go, but slowly, I am getting an urge to move away from Nokia Devices.. I used to love nokia waay back and when HMD made a comeback after the break I was so psyched up.  Now, just so disappointed with Nokia.. 
  • imchandu03 imchandu03
     /  edited February 11
    This is so ridiculous, how can a responsible company do like this openly, this is certainly a fraud, the main aim of the company is to give updates early as fast as possible,also customers expect the same, but here its totally disappointing , it is been 90days ,they said pie will be out in November 2018, but it's February 2019 still no update in Asia, and other countries who got pie its just a full of bugs, atleast they are not even giving any progress updates or any news regarding what they are working for, this is so bad , we too have other options they are not Government to listen them as they play, this is pure stock Android, they can't even manage this stock Android with updates , phones which have different roms and lot of features like Honor , Samsung, asus, this companies are capable of giving pie already, being a flagship device its shame to HMD as well as for us to use this device in front of our friends
  • user1508928527225 user1508928527225
    ✭✭✭  / 
    mrbelter said:
    I am stuck on the beta as well, i am a bit gutted no further update arrived because over the weekend i have a 9 hour trip to get to a spot where i can photograph the core of the Milky Way and PhotoPills which would have made my job a whole lot easier doesn't work as it should because it has no idea which way it is supposed to be looking :disappointed: . This trip has been booked quite some time and i was hoping and praying a fix would arrive before i left, I'll just hope it is cloudy and i'll get drunk instead, every cloud has a silver lining and all that.
    Probably a more traditional fallback option of using dedicated planetarium software such as XEphem, Stellarium etc for determining the altitude and azimuth of the core at potential observation time can help. Then that can be used to look for potential spots on the map with a decent view to that direction.

Still, I did also purchase PhotoPills last year to be able to use it for more agile on-the-go planning among other things, and am quite annoyed about the compass issue particularly because of that part of the app now being essentially useless.
  • Fahad Vaheed Fahad Vaheed
    ✭✭  / 
    martin.fd said:
    Very well structured - thank you! I hope that as many as possible follow this system (although I have my doubts because it doesn't leave so many possibilities for complaining ... B) )
    You forgot to link one thread (although you mentioned it yourself):

Me having same problem fingerprint erased
  • mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    mrbelter said:
    I am stuck on the beta as well, i am a bit gutted no further update arrived because over the weekend i have a 9 hour trip to get to a spot where i can photograph the core of the Milky Way and PhotoPills which would have made my job a whole lot easier doesn't work as it should because it has no idea which way it is supposed to be looking :disappointed: . This trip has been booked quite some time and i was hoping and praying a fix would arrive before i left, I'll just hope it is cloudy and i'll get drunk instead, every cloud has a silver lining and all that.
    Probably a more traditional fallback option of using dedicated planetarium software such as XEphem, Stellarium etc for determining the altitude and azimuth of the core at potential observation time can help. Then that can be used to look for potential spots on the map with a decent view to that direction.

Still, I did also purchase PhotoPills last year to be able to use it for more agile on-the-go planning among other things, and am quite annoyed about the compass issue particularly because of that part of the app now being essentially useless.
    Surely any app that requires the compass to locate north is rendered useless (even skymap is no longer any use) so buying Stellerium would make no difference, i certainly ain't carting my PC with me :lol:

The night AR mode on PhotoPills is superb, well i tell a lie, it was superb until Nokia knackered it up.
  • Hugh Matthews Hugh Matthews
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @ mrbelter I just used Stellarium and was reminded that East and West are displayed where they are supposed to be. So I found East by setting the app to auto (the mobile phone icon) then switching that off and swiping the screen and turning myself through 90 degrees. N and S are still where they are supposed to display if the auto function is off.
    Does that make sense?

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 7
    @jdan, A well intentioned, valiant and noble effort to bring order to chaos. As always, unfortunately, chaos ruled. Herding cats would be easier! :D

Thanks for trying :)
  • ronin ronin
     / 
    Still no Pie in Romania. Still december security patch..... Maybe Nokia was a bad ideea after all
  • petrus petrus
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    ronin said:
    Still no Pie in Romania. Still december security patch..... Maybe Nokia was a bad ideea after all
    This problem is mentioned here:
    https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/43840/nokia-8-february-security-update#latest
  • IN UK, After months of being on January Security update, I put my foreign Sim card and the Pie update was available straight away. Did the same on my GF's Nokia 8 (2017) , both now on Pie.