Issues in the Nokia Camera app (Feedback - Hope things are fixed)

Just noticed while starting this discussion that we need a dedicated Category for Nokia Camera app in the Community Forum!

Issues in the Nokia Camera app (Feedback - Hope things are fixed)

Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
✭✭✭✭  / 
Just noticed while starting this discussion that we need a dedicated Category for Nokia Camera app in the Community Forum!

I will list the problems that need to be fixed in the Nokia Camera app here:
  1. ZOOM doesn't work in Pro Mode
  2. Watermark can't be selected manually and appears only after the image is clicked
  3. No option to disable "Volume button captures images"
  4. No option to enable or disable EIS
  5. Many of us have noticed WHITE DOTS appear in the black part of the images. For example in the images of the night sky (those aren't stars), or a dark room with no light. Don't know what this is but if it is a software thing it needs to be fixed.
  6. Telephoto Lens still needs a Fix as it still doesn't work in low light.
Some suggestions that would make Nokia Camera better:
  1. HDR ON/OFF toggle should be in the View Finder and not buried inside Camera Settings.
  2. Selecting Flash modes should be a tap away like in the old Lumia Camera app. Just tap once or twice on the Flash icon to turn it on or put it in Auto mode.
  3. Also, add an option to turns ON/OFF Focus Assist light.
  4. Shutter speed needs to get some speed. The fastest shutter speed available in the Pro Mode is just 1/500 which is not fast and even a 5 year old Nokia Camera can capture at 1/16000. The slowest shutter speed is 4 seconds which is again the same as 5 year old Nokia Camera. It isn't bad but should be better as it opens up many possibilities for creative minds and can attract many who love smartphone photography.
  5. Exposure Values should be upgraded to at least +3/-3 from the current +2/-2.
  6. Adding a short tutorial for the Pro Mode that would assist the new users.
  7. Merge the Pro Mode and Auto Mode. Instead of having to slide left and right users can just tap one button like on the Lumias to fire up the pro mode.
These are the problems in the Nokia Camera app and some suggestions that came to my mind while writing.  If you are facing some other problems in the Nokia Camera app do post it so that HMD gets to know about the issues and they start working on fixing it. Let's hope these problems get fixed and some suggestions are implemented. :)

Comments

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Nice find! I'll add some of my own here:

1. The auto (normal) still can't set the exposure properly. While it has been significantly improved since the oreo days; there is still room for improvement, especially when the scene is transitioning, for example from the phone pointing to the sky to the ground. Currently if I set the horizon exactly at the middle of viewfinder, the exposure fluctuates significantly.

2. There is no AE/AF lock. At least I couldn't find it anywhere. It'll be a very nice addition, especially while taking videos.

3. The exposure goes down significantly during shooting video in slow mode. This is especially noticeable while recording in sunlight as the skin tones of subjects become very darker.

4. There is no pre-configured scene mode. Personally, I know what I have to do so I stick with the pro mode. But for others, scene modes would be handy. The ability to create specific scene modes out of pro settings would be nice too as then users can save specific set of settings as customised profiles.

That'd be all for now.
    Regards,
    Gravemind
    Oh yes, I forgot about these. Nice additions @gravemind2015 :)

1. This also happens when we focus on trees. The exposure fluctuates constantly and the camera is unable to decide. Seems like the camera app is confused.

2. Yes, AE and AF locking should be added. Tap to focus just locks the focus for a few seconds which is not a good experience. We need to tap on the screen every few seconds to set focus.

3. The noise level is also very high while shooting videos in normal or slow mode when recording in low light.

4. I remember the scene mode present in the Auto Mode of Nokia Camera app on windows phones. There were NIght and Sports scene modes. Never used them but could be useful for many who rely on auto mode. :)
  • gravemind2015 gravemind2015
    ✭✭  / 
    Oh yeah, I almost forgot one feature request : the ability to scan QR and bar codes. I couldn't do it, even on Google lens .
  • wyk wyk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I dont understand when we can launch pro mode by sliding up the shutter button why need a pro mode tab !!  The total UI is clattered needs simplify & a bundled pro mode tutorial for novices.

I would like to see dedicated shutter button device again & adding a half circled zoom slider in pro mode along with ISO, exposure etc.
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited February 5
    wyk said:
    I dont understand when we can launch pro mode by sliding up the shutter button why need a pro mode tab !!  The total UI is clattered needs simplify & a bundled pro mode tutorial for novices.

I would like to see dedicated shutter button device again & adding a half circled zoom slider in pro mode along with ISO, exposure etc.
    That's what I am saying just remove the tab of Pro Mode and make it like it was on Lumias Just tap that "a" in auto mode to expand the pro mode settings or slide the shutter button.

Yes, a physical 2 stage shutter button could be a nice addition but let's not get into the hardware part here as I want this thread to be focused on Nokia Camera app. 😊
  • Daniel G M Daniel G M
    ✭✭✭  /  edited February 5
    I'd like to add
    • RAW image capture
    • Flat (Log) Video capture
    3. The noise level is also very high while shooting videos in normal or slow mode when recording in low light.

Currently the video is recorded :

4K @[email protected]
    1080P 16:9 & 18:9 @[email protected]
    720P 16:9 & 18:9 @[email protected]

These bit-rates are too low. They might look good on a small screen on a phone.
    But viewing in your monitor or TV, you will see that it is not sharp enough. Try watching the recorded 4K video on a 4K screen.

Of course some will argue file size will be larger, but the quality is lost when you are recording in low bit-rate. Nokia can also give an option to record in x.265 which has better compression and doesn't compromise that much on quality. (SD660 has x.265 support)

In my opinion these bit-rates should be doubled for the footage to look decent on large screens.

The Slo-Mo is captured in 1080P @[email protected] but it's processed and written on file as 30FPS, thereby destroying the usability of the clip during editing. Also 20MBps is really really low for a 1080P video.

SD 660 is capable of 
    Reocording
    4K @30FPS
    1080P @120FPS
    720P @240FPS
    Has x.265 support as well

Nokia should come up with something so that the video is recorded and written in file with actual supported frame rates (not processed and rewritten to 30FPS). So that editing them would be easy later on.

Also allow us to record normal footage at 120FPS or 240FPS at higher bitrates.
    So that we will have more control while editing the footage, whether to slow it down or speed it up.

Since the camera app has a pro mode for photos, why not have a pro mode in video recording as well ?

✭✭✭✭  /  edited February 5
    I'd like to add
    • RAW image capture

4K @[email protected]

But viewing in your monitor or TV, you will see that it is not sharp enough. Try watching the recorded 4K video on a 4K screen.

Of course some will argue file size will be larger, but the quality is lost when you are recording in low bit-rate. Nokia can also give an option to record in x.265 which has better compression and doesn't compromise that much on quality. (SD660 has x.265 support)

In my opinion these bit-rates should be doubled for the footage to look decent on large screens.

The Slo-Mo is captured in 1080P @[email protected] but it's processed and written on file as 30FPS, thereby destroying the usability of the clip during editing. Also 20MBps is really really low for a 1080P video.

SD 660 is capable of 
    Reocording
    4K @30FPS
    1080P @120FPS
    720P @240FPS

Nokia should come up with something so that the video is recorded and written in file with actual supported frame rates (not processed and rewritten to 30FPS). So that editing them would be easy later on.

So that we will have more control while editing the footage, whether to slow it down or speed it up.

Since the camera app has a pro mode for photos, why not have a pro mode in video recording as well ?

Very nice suggestions and thanks for the extra info about the bit rate that you shared. Nokia Mobile should provide all these options in the settings. I forgot about the Pro Mode for videos and yes it can be a very nice addition and also very useful for those who record lots of videos.

Please listen to our requests / feedback/ suggestions Nokia Mobile. 😊

@HMD_Laura Can you pass our feedback to the concerned people at HMD who can look into this. Thanks 😊
  • Daniel G M Daniel G M
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I'd like to add
    • RAW image capture

4K @[email protected]

SD 660 is capable of 
    Reocording
    4K @30FPS
    1080P @120FPS
    720P @240FPS

Small correction. It's Mbps as in Mega bits per second. Not MBps Mega Bytes per second.
  • ajbe ajbe
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Another bug to add.

GPS location always shows as estimated. This was not an issue in the previous camera version. Location access is on and working correctly in my timeline so it's only a problem with the camera app.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Wow! What a thread! Thanks everyone for the detailed bugs list and suggestions.

It's interesting to read some of them because they make it clear that the 7+ camera app is different from the app for the 8. We have different features, different UI and different bugs! (some are the same though).

I really hopethat HMD can make a unified camera app which includes all your suggestions and fixes all the bugs.

Cheers :smiley:
  • federer roger federer roger
    ✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:

It's interesting to read some of them because they make it clear that the 7+ camera app is different from the app for the 8. We have different features, different UI and different bugs! (some are the same though).

I really hopethat HMD can make a unified camera app which includes all your suggestions and fixes all the bugs.

Deep down we all know that they won't do any significant update in camera app.
  • mananmehta mananmehta
    ✭✭  / 
    Also if the front camera uses pixel binning technology than a 4mp 4:3 resolution setting should be added. 
    AI scene detection is a trendy feature that many of the cheap and high end phones come with today , It really helps for quickly capturing 
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:

Glad that this came to your attention. I hope you shared these suggestions and feedback with the HMD team at MWC. :)

And, we also need a dedicated category for Nokia cameras app in the Community Forum. Can we get it? 

Thanks. :)
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @Kartik Gada for the camera apps section on the forum, suggest it in the Forum feedback section. I think this is a great idea.

I did not have much chance to talk about improvements to existing devices. When I did I tried to focus on broken features and instability rather than improvements. However, they have asked me to write them a short summary of things which the community think need to be addressed and I will include a link to this thread on the camera app.
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    @Kartik Gada for the camera apps section on the forum, suggest it in the Forum feedback section. I think this is a great idea.

I did not have much chance to talk about improvements to existing devices. When I did I tried to focus on broken features and instability rather than improvements. However, they have asked me to write them a short summary of things which the community think need to be addressed and I will include a link to this thread on the camera app.
    Did you write a summary and sent it to them? 😁
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Yes but it was part of the overall summary of all issues for all devices.
    Cheers :)
  • Vivek J Vivek J
    ✭✭  / 
    You guys have a lot of hope and expectations from HMD. lol. They don't give a **** about N7+ anymore. too many unresolved issues. Just use it as much as you can and when your pocket allows, get a new device next time.