Sailfish OS for smart feature phones and Low End smartphones like the Nokia 1 and 2

Nokia had atleast 3 different device line ups and those were Nokia Feature phones running S40 Nokia ASHA smart feature phones and Nokia Lumia for smartphones

Sailfish OS for smart feature phones and Low End smartphones like the Nokia 1 and 2

Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
✭✭✭  /  edited February 5
Nokia had atleast 3 different device line ups and those were

Nokia Feature phones running S40
Nokia ASHA smart feature phones and
Nokia Lumia for smartphones

Currently, Nokia has 2 device lineups, feature phones and Android smartphones but we all know how heavy and slow Android can be on low end smartphones with such low specifications. Even the Android Go version isn't super responsive and lag free. So, why is Nokia pushing it on devices like the Nokia 1 and 2.1. Wouldn't it be better to just go for something like the Sailfish OS for such low end phones.

Nokia 8110 4G was released as a smart feature phone with Kai OS and believe me KaiOS is slow... slower than a snail. Even our 10 year old S40 devices run and respond faster. If smart feature phones are needed then why not use a really good OS like Sailfish 3 on them? Nokia can reintroduce the ASHA brand and use Sailfish OS on those devices. Come on Nokia Mobile, differentiate yourself. Nokia smartphones and feature phones below $90 can get rid of Android and make their own space with a new OS. There's no gain in fighting the spec race with chinese android phone manufacturers that sell devices with double the specs of Nokia 1 at same price as Nokia 1. Instead, try to be unique with a different os where there is less competition.

Android can be used for rest of the devives and Sailfish can be used on smart feature phones and on low end devices like Nokia 1.

What do you guys think? Share your ideas about the same below. 😊

Comments

• user1513791683644 user1513791683644
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Dope idea! I mean Sony has been allowing some Xperia phone to run on Sailfish OS and I heard it's pretty smooth, there's also rumours about a Nokia N9 running KaiOS maybe that's also an option for really low end hardware
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Anybody using the Nokia 1 and Nokia 8110 will have a standard set of complaints - lag. While I feel that the 8110 is just weak hardware for the price, maybe the Nokia 1 is better off living on Sailfish OS as it is a proper OS. It can live over weaker hardware and still deliver fluid performance.
    Nokia has the opportunity of breaking the market by delivering a unique experience. My only concerns are that if they replace the Nokia 1 or Nokia 2 lineup with Sailfish, the unavailability of apps will be a problem for Nokia. In the end, most users only care for their favorite apps, and most of these apps are unlikely to appear (officially) on Sailfish anytime soon. They can start by offering Sailfish on feature phones, but with hardware that justifies the price.
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Dope idea! I mean Sony has been allowing some Xperia phone to run on Sailfish OS and I heard it's pretty smooth, there's also rumours about a Nokia N9 running KaiOS maybe that's also an option for really low end hardware
    I have a very bad experience with KaiOS and it lags too much. Nokia N9 came with Meego and hence Sailfish OS would be a much better option for this upcoming N9 lookalike device.
  • Agree
  • Already solved this problem with Android GO.
  • Krishna Krishna
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Agree bro need good OS for low end phones
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    blendor said:
    Already solved this problem with Android GO.
    Android Go is still the same Android, apart from a few basic Google apps, the rest of the apps are the same and they all lag. Android is just not fit for the lower end hardware, no matter what changes Google does to it.
  • TW1920 TW1920
     / 
    I hope HMD will bring support of Sailfish OS to the Nokia devices. At first the option to install or choose SailfishOS would be enough - please wake up, HMD.
  • That would be super cool, I own a Nokia 2. I was interested in buying a Sailfish OS phone or even a Nokia N9 just to explore a different OS, but that would kill two birds with one shot. 
  • Nokia had atleast 3 different device line ups and those were

Nokia Feature phones running S40
    Nokia ASHA smart feature phones and
    Nokia Lumia for smartphones

Currently, Nokia has 2 device lineups, feature phones and Android smartphones but we all know how heavy and slow Android can be on low end smartphones with such low specifications. Even the Android Go version isn't super responsive and lag free. So, why is Nokia pushing it on devices like the Nokia 1 and 2.1. Wouldn't it be better to just go for something like the Sailfish OS for such low end phones.

Nokia 8110 4G was released as a smart feature phone with Kai OS and believe me KaiOS is slow... slower than a snail. Even our 10 year old S40 devices run and respond faster. If smart feature phones are needed then why not use a really good OS like Sailfish 3 on them? Nokia can reintroduce the ASHA brand and use Sailfish OS on those devices. Come on Nokia Mobile, differentiate yourself. Nokia smartphones and feature phones below $90 can get rid of Android and make their own space with a new OS. There's no gain in fighting the spec race with chinese android phone manufacturers that sell devices with double the specs of Nokia 1 at same price as Nokia 1. Instead, try to be unique with a different os where there is less competition.

Android can be used for rest of the devives and Sailfish can be used on smart feature phones and on low end devices like Nokia 1.

What do you guys think? Share your ideas about the same below. 😊
    You got the point there unfortunately Google bought Kai OS and that's the whole reason why this feature phones have that OS otherwise they would be a bit slower like the Nokia 3310 which is not 4G and it doesn't have Google. I don't know if Sailfish would have Google but it doesn't benefit Google. It would be cool seeing it on Nokia 1 & 2 though. It would also be cool to see Sailfish OS on phones like Nokia E72, Nokia 603, Nokia E6 or even Nokia X7.
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    That would be super cool, I own a Nokia 2. I was interested in buying a Sailfish OS phone or even a Nokia N9 just to explore a different OS, but that would kill two birds with one shot. 
    I have unlocked the bootloader of a Nokia 2 owned by a Sailfish enthusiast from Italy. Let's see if he manages to boot SFOS on the device. He is positive because the CPU is the same as Jolla C. So, overall production architecture should be similar.
  • singhnsk said:
    That would be super cool, I own a Nokia 2. I was interested in buying a Sailfish OS phone or even a Nokia N9 just to explore a different OS, but that would kill two birds with one shot. 
    I have unlocked the bootloader of a Nokia 2 owned by a Sailfish enthusiast from Italy. Let's see if he manages to boot SFOS on the device. He is positive because the CPU is the same as Jolla C. So, overall production architecture should be similar. Sounds awesome. I would like to see that on video when he is done booting the SFOS on the device.
    ✭✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    I have unlocked the bootloader of a Nokia 2 owned by a Sailfish enthusiast from Italy. Let's see if he manages to boot SFOS on the device. He is positive because the CPU is the same as Jolla C. So, overall production architecture should be similar.
    I hope he is successful in doing it. I will try it too on my Nokia 2  ;) :)
    ✭✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    Any progress?
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    Any progress?
    Nope. He seems to have lost interest or it didn't work. I won't follow up with him anymore.