Forum Guide

Hi all, 

Here is our
Forum guide where we introduce you to all the functions in the forum.

Forum Guide

HMDLaura HMDLaura
Staff member  /  edited February 6

Hi all,

Here is our Forum guide where we introduce you to all the functions in the forum. We tried to cover everything in a simple way but let us know in the comments when you have further questions.

Guide chapters

>Get started<

>Profile & Settings<

>Discussions, Comments & Interactions<

Useful read

>Welcome to the Community<

>House Rules<

>Ranking & Points<

We hope this will help you find your way through the Forum.

Best regards,
Laura 

Comments

• HMDLaura HMDLaura

Get started 

On the first page you have already some insight in the forum. You can see the Discussion categories and most importantly, you can Sign In to your profile or register and join our Community.

When scrolling down you find the teaser pictures to our latest announcements, competitions or polls you can get involved with. When scrolling further you see all Recent discussions – all discussions which have been recently created or commented. The discussions with an ‘Announcement’ tag above the title are sticky threads and always stay on the top.

While scrolling down you might have seen the teaser pictures to our categories.

In these categories you find all discussions that have been created so far.

Phones – includes all discussions about our different Phones. You want to discuss about your Nokia 8 or the latest update on Nokia 6.1 plus? That’s your category to go

General – In here you find different stuff just like this Guide or different Contests and Activities. You have ideas we should include in our next phones? Or you just want to talk about the latest cat video you saw on YouTube? Here is the place for it

Tech talk – You are part of the Android Developer Preview program? Or just want to participate in the new Beta-Labs discussions? The Tech talk area is where you can exchange your experience with others.

Regions – For some regions we have a sub-forum where you can talk all Nokia in your mother tongue and hear all about local specials.

As soon as you are logged in, you get a view like this

On the left-hand side, you see the Categories we talked about earlier on again. On the right side you see your avatar with your nickname and a bunch of symbols.

The avatar and your nickname will take you to your profile. We will have a look at it a bit later.  

Globe – Shows you all your notification, i.e. when another user mentions you in a comment or someone comments on one of your topics.

Inbox – Users can send each other private messages. When you receive one you will find it here.

Asterisk – You can bookmark topics you’re interested in and you will see if anything has changed in these topics here.

Gear – This will get you to your profile settings, which leads me to our next part in the Guide. 
  • HMDLaura HMDLaura
    Staff member  / 

Profile & Settings

With one click on your or someone else’s name you can view one’s profile.   

1. Shows all your recent events concerning your profile, e.g. when you receive a new badge you get a notification here.

2. Here you see all general information in your profile

3. The most important parts here are Discussions and Comments. You can not only see how many you have created, but also which one. With a click on Discussion or Comments you will receive a list with all your comments and discussions you have written.

When you scroll down you will find Reactions and your Badges

The Reactions section shows you how other users have perceived your comments – so basically it is showing you how many people liked/agreed/disagreed or laughed about your posts.

Badges represent your achievements in the community. You can earn them by fulfilling certain requirements such as commenting 10 times, earning 10 LOLs and so on. Of course, we have some special badges not everyone will receive as well 😉

As we had a look at the profile you might be wondering how to change your username or maybe your avatar? Let’s check the settings by clicking on the gear symbol.

Now you have a choice between ‘Edit Account’ and ‘Preferences’.

We start with the ‘Edit Account’ option.

Here you can change all your personal details such as Display Name, avatar and password. Very simple, isn’t it?

In the ‘Preferences’ you can change how you receive your notifications.

Whether you want to get your notifications via email or just as a pop-up notification in the forum just tick/untick the box, save your preferences and it is done.

Now that we have covered what you can see and do with your profile, let’s move on to the fun part and see how you can interact with others. 
  • HMDLaura HMDLaura

Comments, Discussions & Interactions

There are basically three different possibilities to interact with other users. You can comment on an existing discussion, create your own discussion or interact on comments and discussions.

In case you see a discussion you want to comment scroll down to the end and you will see this.

Just type your message, format it if you like, add emojis (yellow), links (green) files (violet) or images (blue) and hit the ‘Post comment’ button. Congrats you just participated in a discussion.

If you have started with a comment, but you don’t have enough time you can save a draft and return to it whenever you want to. If you would like to check your post once more before publishing it hit the ‘Preview’ button and you’ll receive a preview of your post.

If you checked all discussions (and also tried the search bar) but you haven’t found a thread you want to participate, you can open up a new discussion (please bear in mind we have some restrictions for new users >check here<). This is easy. On the right-hand side, you will find this little area

In this area you see several things such as how many discussions you have created and bookmarked, your drafts, who is online and the leaders of the current week in participation. And of course, there is the huge, blue ‘New Discussion’ button. You can either hit the button and it will direct you to the ‘Create a discussion’ page or you can choose between ‘Ask a question’ or create a ‘New Discussion’ (in the drop down menu – here in red). The difference is that a discussion posted as question will have the question-tag next to the title and other users can immediately see that it is a question. Also comments by other users can be accepted/declined as answer and the thread will receive an ‘Answered question’ tag when an answer gets accepted.

Above you see how you can create a new discussion.

1. Choose the right category! This will make it easier for other users to see your discussion so if you have a question about Nokia 6 then please post it in the Nokia 6 category

2. Give the discussion a meaningful title – summarize what your discussion is about so users know what to expect

3. Here you have the same option as in commenting on other discussions

4. You can choose several tasks which help to find your discussion in the search bar

5.  Last but not least, you can preview your discussion, save it as a draft or post it immediately

Another way to interact with other users are reactions. Underneath every comment you see a list of different actions you can take

Let’s start from the back. If a comment made you laugh hit the LOL button (violet). You like a comment? Then you can express it with the Like button (yellow) – Obviously! You agree/disagree with a comment then show your support with the Agree (orange) /Disagree (Gray) button.

In addition to the interaction buttons you find the ‘Quote’ (green) and ‘Flag’(red) button. The Quote button is very useful when you refer to a specific comment. You can click on it - the quotation will appear in your ‘create a comment’ window and you can add your comment.

The Flag button is very useful for Moderation. If you see Spam or a post that is abusive, please hit the flag button and choose the right category. So a Moderator can have a look at it and remove the post if necessary. When one post gets flagged 5 times by users it will automatically disappear and gets moved to the moderation queue. You can also Report a post. This will not be shown in the interaction bar, but the moderators will see it and have the post checked. 
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited February 7
    @jumble did you give your consent for Laura to use your profile in this forum guide?! :D 

• HMDLaura HMDLaura
    Staff member  / 
    @madbilly no, I was very unpolite and didn't even ask but I have a feeling @jumble won't mind  :p
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited February 7
    @HMD_Laura :D I'm sure that so long as you feed @jumble you can do what you like! :grin: I think that @jumble should become the community mascot, I might start a thread... :wink:

PS - I see that @jumble is also a beta labs member! I wonder which phone works best with those little paws... :grey_question:
  • I think this information should be given to all newly registered members immediately once they create their profile. As a new member I wasted lot of time to find out why I was not able to start a "New Discussion".
  • Gort Gort
    ✭✭  / 
    Sorry for this whinge. I've been a member for longer than 24 hours, yet I still can't start a discussion on a question about the Nokia 7.1 that I'm thinking about buying. I've searched for this question on the board (and elsewhere), and I can't find a relevant topic to post it in, at least concerning the 7.1. How much longer must I wait?
  • HandsomeJussi HandsomeJussi
    ✭✭  / 
    > @Gort said:
    > Sorry for this whinge. I've been a member for longer than 24 hours, yet I still can't start a discussion on a question about the Nokia 7.1 that I'm thinking about buying. I've searched for this question on the board (and elsewhere), and I can't find a relevant topic to post it in, at least concerning the 7.1. How much longer must I wait?

I really hate this 24h system. Really stupid IMO. And it is not mentioned ANYWHERE. Took me forever to find this. Propably would have never joined if I knew this -.-
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @Gort if you still can't start a new topic then post in the forum and website feedback section.

@HandsomeJussi&nbsp; - it's mentioned here, in one of the other threads in this section of the forum: https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/42267/ranking-system-and-points
  • Gort Gort
    ✭✭  / 
    OK, it seems to be working now. I have been able to ask my question.

@HandsomeJussi Totally agree with you. There must be plenty of people who want to ask a question who are put off by not being able to do so.

• The "edit account" is not working, I tried to make changes there but the "save" button doesn't do anything. I want to update personal info my profile, someone please help me
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @Karl Dominic Tiongson you should ask in the forum and website feedback section.
    Cheers :)
  • Daryl C123 Daryl C123
     / 
    Cant comment in forum so like karl there is an issue.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @Daryl C123 , you managed to comment here so which forum do you mean? Do you mean you can't start your own topics yet? There's a reason for that, you should read all the links which Laura posted to learn why.
  • even710 even710
     / 
    why can't i create a new discussion? I don't have the 'new discussion' button.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited May 15
    @even710:
    madbilly said:
    Hi @Daryl C123 , you managed to comment here so which forum do you mean? Do you mean you can't start your own topics yet? There's a reason for that, you should read all the links which Laura posted to learn why.
    I honestly feel like broken record sometimes....
  • RafalW RafalW
    ✭✭  / 
    None of the "starter information" explain why images uploaded while creating a post reply aren't showing.
  • MollyF MollyF
    ✭✭  / 
    I can't figure out how to start a new topic. Please help
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    RafalW said:
    None of the "starter information" explain why images uploaded while creating a post reply aren't showing.
    Hi @HMD_Laura this would be a useful addition :)
  • user1521709673579 user1521709673579
    ✭✭  / 
    Can I get nightmode on nokia5.1
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @madbilly Now I understand the joke behind @jumble.🙈
    Maybe I was supposed to know this only after a few months when for some reason I checked this post again. lol

MEOWWWW...
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @Kartik Gada I don't get it, what's the joke?
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Hi @Kartik Gada I don't get it, what's the joke?
    Not exactly a joke. Back then, I was wondering who jumble is and what are you all talking about. I hadn't seen the cat and the account name in the tutorial images above which I saw just yesterday and understood the whole thing. 
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    @HMD_Laura :D I'm sure that so long as you feed @jumble you can do what you like! :grin: I think that @jumble should become the community mascot, I might start a thread... :wink:

PS - I see that @jumble is also a beta labs member! I wonder which phone works best with those little paws... :grey_question:
    This one @madbilly
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Ah, I see now @Kartik Gada - yes, it was funny, maybe not a joke but funny.
    I wonder what @jumble is doing now? I see that they logged in this morning to see who'd mentioned then! :smiley:
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited September 25
    madbilly said:
    I wonder what @jumble is doing now? I see that they logged in this morning to see who'd mentioned then! :smiley:
    As @HMD_Laura said, she was testing email login to find the issue. @jumble just helped her do it.
    Now @madbilly 's job is to find that second account, because she said "Two test accounts" xD
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Yes, funny and not a joke. 😅
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Ah yes, two test accounts. I think I know what the other one is but I'm keeping it a secret ;)
    :D
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Ah yes, two test accounts. I think I know what the other one is but I'm keeping it a secret ;)
    :D

Tell or I flag as inappropriate. Choose one 😝😎
    You can't be sure if that's the actual test account that she used :p