How to enable/disable the notch on Nokia 8.1 if no option available

I've seen some people having trouble finding that option on some variants of the phone (I.e European version), so I thought this post could be helpful.

How to enable/disable the notch on Nokia 8.1 if no option available

diegopc5 diegopc5
✭✭  / 

I've seen some people having trouble finding that option on some variants of the phone (I.e European version), so I thought this post could be helpful.

Following these steps you'll be able to access the hidden menu to select between notch and full bezel:

1. Download Automate app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.llamalab.automate

2. Open it.

3. Download this Flow File I created and open it. It will ask you if you want to import it to Automate, accept. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wDDRkpT2Jnvr4eo0_2xXKQqUrpAq8hNI/view?usp=drivesdk

4. Once imported, tap "Start". This will open the hidden Notch Settings.

Note that now you can always find the Notch Settings when you open Automate.

Hope this will help!

Comments

• robert robert
    ✭✭  / 
    I did it too, great to have options notch or no notch. Right now notch is on
  • Works a treat
  • Rahber Ali Rahber Ali
    ✭✭  / 
    Developer options not being revealed by the usual 5 clicks on the build tab in settings ?
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Developer options not being revealed by the usual 5 clicks on the build tab in settings ?
    You need to tap 7 times, and not 5.
  • Rahber Ali Rahber Ali
    ✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    Tap till it opens up. 5/7/9 no idea 😅
  • diegopc5 diegopc5
    ✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    Tap till it opens up. 5/7/9 no idea 😅
    Yes but European version doesn't have Full bezel option...
  • Kanna5288 Kanna5288
    ✭✭  / 
    Go to developer option see that
  • diegopc5 diegopc5
    ✭✭  / 
    Kanna5288 said:
    Go to developer option see that
    It isn't available in European version even in developer.
  • AJoX AJoX
    ✭✭  / 
    thanks works like a charm
  • janko cavic janko cavic
    ✭✭  / 
    Big thanks  :) :) :)
  • can't download the Flow file. :( 
  • revanmj revanmj
    ✭✭  /  edited February 23
    It's a shame there is no option to move status bar down, so it is not covered by notch. Especially on Nokia 8.1 which has really wide notch. Main reason why I'm waiting for the next phone that either has this option or has slimmer notch (or doesn't have it at all).

It is beyond me, how cheaper phone (Nokia 6.1 Plus) can have acceptable (for me) slimmer notch, while more expensive Nokia 8.1 have this awful wide notch.

EDIT: And this limitation is not forced by Google - Galaxy S10 option to hide camera cutout does exactly that - it moves status bar below the cutout: https://www.sammobile.com/2019/02/22/galaxy-s10-hide-notch-front-camera-cutout
  • Vicky Geo Vicky Geo
    ✭✭  / 
    Hey thank you muuuch!! It worked for me! I bought the Nokia 8.1 in the UK and it didn't have the bezel option in the developers options but now I used your flow and it works! Can't thank you enough!
  • Thanks works perfect!
  • PSHND PSHND
    ✭✭  / 
    Or you could use a Nova launcher activity to access the notch settings without downloading random files. :P
  • No need to download any app, just go to setting, display tab-->advance-->full bezel option !
    Updated Mar 19th