How to enable/disable the notch on Nokia 8.1 if no option available

I've seen some people having trouble finding that option on some variants of the phone (I.e European version), so I thought this post could be helpful.

How to enable/disable the notch on Nokia 8.1 if no option available

I've seen some people having trouble finding that option on some variants of the phone (I.e European version), so I thought this post could be helpful.

Following these steps you'll be able to access the hidden menu to select between notch and full bezel:

1. Download Automate app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.llamalab.automate

2. Open it.

3. Download this Flow File I created and open it. It will ask you if you want to import it to Automate, accept. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wDDRkpT2Jnvr4eo0_2xXKQqUrpAq8hNI/view?usp=drivesdk

4. Once imported, tap "Start". This will open the hidden Notch Settings.

Note that now you can always find the Notch Settings when you open Automate.

Hope this will help!

Comments

• I did it too, great to have options notch or no notch. Right now notch is on
  • Works a treat
  • Developer options not being revealed by the usual 5 clicks on the build tab in settings ?
  • singhnsk singhnsk
     / 
    Developer options not being revealed by the usual 5 clicks on the build tab in settings ?
    You need to tap 7 times, and not 5.
  • singhnsk said:
    Developer options not being revealed by the usual 5 clicks on the build tab in settings ?
    Tap till it opens up. 5/7/9 no idea 😅
  • singhnsk said:
    Tap till it opens up. 5/7/9 no idea 😅
    Yes but European version doesn't have Full bezel option...
  • Go to developer option see that
  • Kanna5288 said:
    Go to developer option see that
    It isn't available in European version even in developer.
  • thanks works like a charm
  • Big thanks  :) :) :)
  • can't download the Flow file. :( 
  • revanmj revanmj
     /  edited February 23
    It's a shame there is no option to move status bar down, so it is not covered by notch. Especially on Nokia 8.1 which has really wide notch. Main reason why I'm waiting for the next phone that either has this option or has slimmer notch (or doesn't have it at all).

It is beyond me, how cheaper phone (Nokia 6.1 Plus) can have acceptable (for me) slimmer notch, while more expensive Nokia 8.1 have this awful wide notch.

EDIT: And this limitation is not forced by Google - Galaxy S10 option to hide camera cutout does exactly that - it moves status bar below the cutout: https://www.sammobile.com/2019/02/22/galaxy-s10-hide-notch-front-camera-cutout
  • Hey thank you muuuch!! It worked for me! I bought the Nokia 8.1 in the UK and it didn't have the bezel option in the developers options but now I used your flow and it works! Can't thank you enough!
  • Thanks works perfect!
  • PSHND PSHND
     / 
    Or you could use a Nova launcher activity to access the notch settings without downloading random files. :P
  • No need to download any app, just go to setting, display tab-->advance-->full bezel option !
    Updated Mar 19th
  • Ayhan091093 Ayhan091093
     /  edited May 28
    is there any risk to this solution? I'm using it myself, but the program scares me a little, since it comes with so many warnings, also i think it's weird in the first place, that the option isn't available on itself in EU version on the phone, as if there is a reason the function wasn't included. Like it's not there, because it's not supposed to be there. Has any of you experienced problems by using that app, and that solution to get the notch option?
  • singhnsk singhnsk
     / 
    @Ayhan091093 Since we are invoking a built-in function, it is the same as how Nokia 8.1 in other regions get it. So, you should not encounter any issues there. The block is most likely set on an IP/GPS level because the actual firmware which the factory flashes on the Indian variant as well as the European variant are the same.
    The app has its set of warnings because naturally some settings aren't supposed to be accessed directly and can break the device functions if used incorrectly.
    As to why it is not given as a choice in EU is mostly because several in the EU call the "notch" as a Chinese design and when the first notched Nokia phone came, it were the Europeans getting angry at Nokia for the notches. Now in order to appeal the public, HMD's EU team did try to hide the existance of the notch on the EU units. You'll notice that most of the Nokia webpages for EU will show the devices with the full bezel option enabled, hence giving an illusion that the notch does not exist. Guess the same is forced to make sure that those renders on the Nokia website hold their relevance.
  • That full bezel should have same rounded corners as the bottom. Wonder what HMD is thinking?
  • Hi! I found a solution for the notch problem. You can disable or enable it permanently. This method doesn't requires root access and the size of the apk is only 110KB. You can find it in the Play Store, it's free: Settings Database Editor. After you installed it go to System table and make sure that "this device" option has choosen. After that scroll down until the "notch full bezel" option. If the value is "1" your notch is disabled. Just set this value to "0" and you will get the working notch. Good luck! :)

(Note: I pasted my text also to other discussions!)