Introducing.... Jumble! The community mascot! :D

Hi everyone, Every great community needs a mascot, and we're very lucky that we have a very quiet kitty-kat who's been purring along with the forum's buzz recently.

Introducing.... Jumble! The community mascot! :D

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  / 
Hi everyone,

Every great community needs a mascot, and we're very lucky that we have a very quiet kitty-kat who's been purring along with the forum's buzz recently. Please everyone say hello to @jumble!
:D 
@jumble is a Nokia enthusiast but has not yet disclosed their current favourite Nokia phone. I expect that they're keenly awaiting MWC19 so that they can rip open a few new boxes and scratch a few new touch screen, and those 5 cameras will keep this kitty busy for hours!

Where is @jumble from? I don't know for sure, but I suspect that they might hang around the HMD Global offices in Finland, maybe even sneak in to stay warm on a cold winter's day and curl up on the lap of some of team members there.

Since @jumble is a very quiet cat, they probably won't post or join in any discussions, but I think they probably like to be made a fuss of and involved in conversations. So, I think it would be nice if we could all try and mention @jumble at least once per day; and if you're ever feeling lonely I'm sure that if you mention @jumble then you'll get a nice feeling of contentment and relaxation that will help you through the rest of the day :D

What's that, you don't believe me? :D Indeed, this is not at all an official thread, or an official title for @jumble. I saw in @HMD_Laura's forum guide that there was a user profile so I investigated more and found that it was @jumble, a cute tabby kitten! I thought that this ball of fluff would be great as a forum mascot, so I decided to promote the idea myself. I think it's fun, but you may just think it's daft and a waste of time :grin:

Please feel free to agree/disagree/flag as spam/rofl/etc but please don't navigate away from the forum pages or turn off your computer in disgust - just visit another part of the forum and keep the warm and welcoming community spirit alive!

Cheers :)

Comments

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    hahaha! This is so funny! So, it is @jumble who is training us about how to use the forums?
    And with beta labs, she must also be testing some software for us. While beta labs is to catch some bugs, maybe this kitten is also good at that apart from catching mice.
    I won't use my desktop to open the forums anymore. Who knows when my mouse disappears.
  • jumble121 jumble121
    Staff member  / 
    meow! 
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Here kitty kitty kitty! :wink:
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @madbilly Congrats on getting the kitty to make her first comment. And what a comment it is!
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    jumble said:
    meow! 
    I'm afraid Fluffy heard you...

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @jumble how you feel about bugs? It would be great if, instead of chasing mice and rats at HMD HQ you could instead chase down and eliminate all the bugs that seem to be breeding in the phones' software ;)
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Jumble sharpened the claws a week ago :smile:
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited April 5
    madbilly said:
    @jumble how you feel about bugs? It would be great if, instead of chasing mice and rats at HMD HQ you could instead chase down and eliminate all the bugs that seem to be breeding in the phones' software ;)
    The march update has been so good to the phones (SDM_600 family) which received it. Nearly every user appreciated that this really brought some fixes. So, maybe @Jumble is listening and doing more than just catching the mice 😍
    Maybe from HMD HQ, she visited Taiwan and slapped some paws to the software vendors 😛

Edit: Just noticed that:
    Jumble was promoted to Moderator. - March 20
    Good work pays!
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Meowow @jumble! Moderator now! Time to start dealing with those pesky Android Q posts... :D

@singhnsk so you think the software is written in Taiwan? I thought Evenwell were based in China. Any idea exactly who NBC are yet?

Fingers crossed that the delayed March updates mean that HMD has properly listened to feedback and we will get some fixes now.

Cheers :smiley:
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @madbilly Well, that's what I have learnt from what's available in the public. The domain which they operated had a tw ccTLD (www.evensoft.com.tw), suggesting that they are in TW. The domain no longer functions, but well I know that this domain did function in the past and later via the Google cache. Since I never delete my Firefox history, I can see it being browsed and the page title was Evenwell - Make Your Life Evenwell! The domain is now up for sale and as we have seen reports around Foxconn scaling down its business, I believe EvenWell will be one of it too.  They (FIH) won't sell Sharp phones anymore, neither did Infocus launch any new phones since early 2018. I guess these were all FIH had which it developed/manufactured  directly and not for somebody else. So, there isn't enough reason for Evenwell to exist as a dedicated company. Evenwell/or the staff will most likely only work for apps and software for Nokia phones except if they also ask HMD to look for a different vendor.
    I also remember Hikari Calyx mentioning that he acquired some software packages from FIH in Taiwan. So, that should be where it is all being done.

As for NBC, I see it as a FIH Mobbile stuff too. Maybe just using a separate package name while the app is developed by FIH/FIHTDC/FOXCONN. Maybe it is a seperate company like Evenwell, but well, it will still be Foxconn which is the owner.
    For example in the file manager, there are enough activities which reveal such a thing -
    com.nbc.filemanagercom.fihtdc.filemanager.PermissionExit     -
    com.nbc.filemanagercom.fihtdc.filemanager.PermissionNotification     -
    com.nbc.filemanagercom.fihtdc.filemanager.myfavorite.FavoriteSelectActivity     -
    com.nbc.filemanagercom.fihtdc.filemanager.SourceListActivity     -
    com.nbc.filemanagercom.fihtdc.filemanager.SourceCategoryActivity
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Oh, Evenwell have disappeared! Very strange. I checked my history and I had also visited their website in the past, but forgotten I had! Maybe NBC have also disappeared - good researching on the activities!

If Evenwell are disappearing then maybe future Nokia phones won't have any FIH software in them, or maybe it will all be labelled FIHTDC.

Anyway, thank for confirming that the software appears to be getting written (or at least coordinated) from Taiwan. Is that where @jumble needs to go? :D
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    And would be even nicer if that team comes to HMD. Having a direct control over what runs on their phones will keep them in a much easier shape when it comes to doing how their users want things to work. I guess @jumble knows the location and the directions better than all of us. I wish her all the best 😊
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited April 9
    @singhnsk I would be happy for those programmers to join HMD if and only if HMD appoint an experienced Android OS engineer to supervise them and make sure they don't keep shipping buggy updates! They need to significantly improve their software QA, which I think it more important than bringing the software integration of stock Android in-house.

I imagine that @jumble now flies business class between the various HMD offices and sometimes to suppliers to "audit" their pest control! :D
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hey @jumble, I see that in Android 9 on the Nokia 8 can put out food for kitties like you and they come and see me. Which kitty are you? Or maybe you're not there yet? Are you in other phones? :grin:
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @jumble121 you have changed your name! Or made it longer at least? Was that because you were people on the forum were mixing you up with other cats here? :smiley:
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited October 10
    hahahah! @madbilly is stalking Jumble! xD
    Meanwhile @jumble121 tells me about @HMD_Franziska. Any idea who he/she is? Or is @HMDLaura having several different personalities now? :D.

Edit: Okay, I got my anser to that in the other thread. Looking forward to seeing one more active community manager. More managers means more awesome content and somebody is getting serious about the community.
  • YASYTA YASYTA
    ✭✭  / 
    > @madbilly said:
    > Hey @jumble, I see that in Android 9 on the Nokia 8 can put out food for kitties like you and they come and see me. Which kitty are you? Or maybe you're not there yet? Are you in other phones? :grin:

keenly awaiting MWC19 so that they can rip open a few new boxes and scratch a few new touch screen, and those 5 cameras will keep this
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @YASYTA do you think they @jumble121 slept through MWC19?! :D
    Or did you mean MWC2020?
    Cheers :)