Truth behind Evenwell other issues

Well, i dont know how much of this is true...but I got this information on a webpage...it lists things like Evenwell apps and bootloader unlocking...i hope if…

Truth behind Evenwell other issues

prasad134 prasad134
✭✭✭  / 
Well, i dont know how much of this is true...but I got this information on a webpage...it lists things like Evenwell apps and bootloader unlocking...i hope if someone knows something about this and clarifies the same

https://piunikaweb.com/2019/02/06/nokia-phones-may-have-risen-from-ashes-but-do-theyve-same-soul-part-1/

Comments

• vlaga vlaga
    ✭✭  /  edited February 8
    It's very nice to get confirmation for giving money for garbage phone. Like they say in article, only the name is what these phones share with old Nokia. These are generic China phones.
  • vibhor vibhor
    ✭✭✭  / 
    prasad134 said:
    Well, i dont know how much of this is true...but I got this information on a webpage...it lists things like Evenwell apps and bootloader unlocking...i hope if someone knows something about this and clarifies the same

https://piunikaweb.com/2019/02/06/nokia-phones-may-have-risen-from-ashes-but-do-theyve-same-soul-part-1/

Nice share. 
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭  / 
    vlaga said:
    It's very nice to get confirmation for giving money for garbage phone. Like they say in article, only the name is what these phones share with old Nokia. These are generic China phones.
    You'll agree on that part just because an article says that? You should just compare the built, service and the updates program with any other Chinese brand and you will have your answer. FIH Mobile is indeed also helping others get started by doing the majority of the stuff for them. Same is going on for HMD wherein HMD does the design, the manufacturing, supplies and software party is outsourced to FIH Mobile. BTW, FIH also does a lot for Google's Pixel phones and Apple's iPhones.
    HMD is still new. You cannot grow up in one day and start doing everything yourself. HMD is expanding; they now have an R&D center in China. And you'll see more from them in the future. FIH Mobile is their platform to get started. As the revenues flow, they will do more to bring back the legacy of old Nokia.
  • vibhor vibhor
    ✭✭✭  /  edited February 9
    singhnsk said:
    vlaga said:
    You'll agree on that part just because an article says that? You should just compare the built, service and the updates program with any other Chinese brand and you will have your answer. FIH Mobile is indeed also helping others get started by doing the majority of the stuff for them. Same is going on for HMD wherein HMD does the design, the manufacturing, supplies and software party is outsourced to FIH Mobile. BTW, FIH also does a lot for Google's Pixel phones and Apple's iPhones.
    HMD is still new. You cannot grow up in one day and start doing everything yourself. HMD is expanding; they now have an R&D center in China. And you'll see more from them in the future. FIH Mobile is their platform to get started. As the revenues flow, they will do more to bring back the legacy of old Nokia.
    Good to hear some positives about FIH. I have disabled a lot of evenwell junk on my 7+ and i dont see any negative effects (battery & performance). Though the phone has become a lot snappier.

I do not understand why an android one device has so many system applications from evenwell. Where android one devices strongly insist on bloatware free experience. If you compare with other android one phone vendors (Mi , Motorola...), HMD has lot more extra system applications.
    Most of them are focused on background application monitoring to conserve the battery life and also some collect telemetery information and upload to HMD servers.

The above link shared also talks about the same bloatfree android one experience.
  • vlaga vlaga
    ✭✭  /  edited February 9
    singhnsk said:

You'll agree on that part just because an article says that? You should just compare the built, service and the updates program with any other Chinese brand and you will have your answer. 
    I agree because of how I "feel" when I'm using my 7+. This is my first and only phone with problems and that negative experience of using from day one! And this one is best of all of them if you look specifications.

I own it for a month and yesterday I've switched back to my old Motorola g5s plus because it is much better phone. Everything works. I don't have to click two or three times until my phone decide to do what I want.
    This is first time I've experienced or heard about unresponsive part of the screen and since it is generic phone I don't expect fix any time soon. If I'm not mistaking this problem exists for months.
    Charging port is so bad and I can't say I feel comfortable because I expect it will give up at any time. Plus stupid feeling I can't answer a call if phone is connected to charger because I could break connector. This problem I wouldn't expect even on cheapest generic phones from China.
    Lowest brightness of screen is horrible. I live in country where in winter time we have only about 5 or 6 hours of day light and having this bright screen is painful for eyes. Also I never had that problem before.
    One very important thing for me is earpiece sound which sounds not so clear and it is happening many times that I don't understand other side. It's very annoying. I'm generation who is still using phones for phone calls so this is very important thing and big issue for me.
    I have experienced not getting notification for sms, sound nor visual. I've seen that sms three days later in my messages. That also never happened with any other phone before.
    Bloatware for android one device was really unexpected. I've disabled all evenwell apps and since then phone feels snappier, but still it's not working good enough. Motorola g5s plus with snapdragon 625 works much better.

So, considering all this, my opinion is not based only on some online article. It is very bad experience of using this phone and it is quite big waste of money. Article is only telling me that this phone is produced by some company and Nokia sticker is just few letters on it. I don't think Nokia is doing any design of anything. They just get list of specifications and they decide name of model and that's it. 

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @vibhor sometimes what you see as useless isn't always useless. Other than the overlays (most of them are overlays and won't impact performance by a noticeable degree), there are only a few main apps. The powersaver is one (you know about that, the well criticized background killer. I have a different opinion about it though) , the battery protection is other (gets thermal details and stops charging or shuts down device based on the device temperature), there's one for testing the device hardware and functions, there's BBOX too (*#*#227#*#* menu, I find it very useful to get the software version), then yes telemetery data (stability monitor *#*#277#*#* and all inclusive). I find all of these very useful for taking care of the device and for service requirements. 
    There's honestly more bloat that Google injects in these phones and nobody has a problem. The only problem people have is when HMD's outsourced partner evenwell adds some apps. Had Nokia/HMD developed those, it would have been okay, isn't it?
    I'll try to dig more into the Xiaomi's Android One system image and see what all they include in their OS. 
  • r8805 r8805
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @prasad134 i am happy cause at least some people talking truth , not talking like a nokia fanboy.

And this article is really interesting.
    Nokia did nothing innovative after its comeback. They are just using their old patents and licenced features.
    This is just because these nokia phones are rebranded phones by chinese odms and nothing else.
  • prasad134 prasad134
    ✭✭✭  / 
    The bloatware on this phone is why i felt this article has some truth behind it...i dont have any negative thoughts about HMD or FIH...but the main thing behind this post waa to highlight the unnecessary stuff put on this phone which actually drains battery and affects the performance too
    People have disabled this Evenwell stuff and got better battery life and performance...so why did HMD put this stuff in is the first point

Second, talking about optimisation, this SD660 is beast in the midrange segment (till SD670 came out)...with Android One it should have squeezed out max performance...HND hasn't resolved the bugs and lagging and freezing issues which actually is irritating

Third, the most important, Nokia 7 Plus is already old for them and they are paying very less attention to it...HMD has a lot of phones now on market and its tedious for them too to handle all the phones i can understand...but if u see Nokia 7 Plus was an absolute hit that time...more than Nokia 8 and Sirocco...it should have been paid better attention atleast

Fourth, camera has been on the average side...with a history of Lumia phones...HMD should have used the Zeiss tech efficiently and also the AI on SD660 to process the photos better with this combo...

Lastly features like face unlock...the patent got rejected...i dont know what a competitiin killer biometric authentication are they going to use to have a patent for it...they dont even have dedication infrared camera or sensors on any of its models to have a secure Face Unlock....they promised to give face unlock last year to Nokia 7, 8 and Sirocco...but neither of these phones have dedicated hardware for it...so whats the patents for?
  • prasad134 prasad134
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Well my comment got deleted by me somehow so i posted it again😅😅