Pie 9

When will stable pie 9 arrive on my Nokia 8. My phone have already received January 2019 security patch. But bugs are still there.

Pie 9

When will stable pie 9 arrive on my Nokia 8. My phone have already received January 2019 security patch. But bugs are still there. Is there any hope for improvement or I sell out my Nokia 8 phone. Pls suggest me. Thanks

Comments

• jdan jdan
    ✭✭✭  / 
    If everyone keeps complaining about this phone*, you will have to give it away!
    What a paradox in this forum: half of the complaints are about not having received Pie, the other half because that same Pie-update is full of bugs.

Anyway ..

Here you find what updates your phone had and when:
    https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/security-updates

What can be detected from this? There are two (or more) different sorts of updates every month.

Your phone is most probably on 00WW_4_88B_SP08 (Oreo 8.1)
    Mine is on 00WW_5_110_SP01 (Pie)

There were Nougat updates till May 18, whereas Oreo had started in November 17!

The general explanation at the top for this is:

"HMD Global is delivering the latest Security Patches to your Android smartphone as quickly as possible. However, there are several factors which may affect the date you actually receive an update. These factors include device model, region, location, operator approvals, and Google’s Security Patch Monthly Release announcement. Security Patches are also sometimes included with Maintenance Releases.

Please note that the quoted release dates refer to the live releases for the first approved markets. In general, the release may take several days to reach all consumers within an approved market."

• jdan jdan
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Nokia 8 had a lot of maintenance releases since its launch in 2017. Quite a change with lots of other brands. But these maintenance releases don't necessarily mean a bug free phone, of course. But it certainly means HMD Global is working on it. 

I think your updates last year were most probably:
    00WW_4_88B_SP08 - 00WW_4_88B_SP07 - 00WW_4_88B_SP06 etc.
    So mine must be:
    00WW_5_110 - 00WW_4_84A_SP10 - 00WW_4_84A_SP09 - 00WW_4_84A_SP08
    etc.

Research on the Internet learned that there are three types of Nokia 8:
    TA-1004 dual sim versions - Middle East & South Asia
    TA-1012 single sim version - European countries 
    TA-1052 dual sim version for China and Taiwan
    Source: https://nokiatips.com/2017/10/04/nokia-8-model-numbers/

I think TA-1012 maybe gets the updates first. Correct me if I am wrong.
    (Your phone must be a dual sim version.)

• user1535316420182 user1535316420182
    ✭✭✭  / 
    jdan said:
    Nokia 8 had a lot of maintenance releases since its launch in 2017. Quite a change with lots of other brands. But these maintenance releases don't necessarily mean a bug free phone, of course. But it certainly means HMD Global is working on it. 

I think your updates last year were most probably:
    00WW_4_88B_SP08 - 00WW_4_88B_SP07 - 00WW_4_88B_SP06 etc.
    So mine must be:
    00WW_5_110 - 00WW_4_84A_SP10 - 00WW_4_84A_SP09 - 00WW_4_84A_SP08
    etc.

Research on the Internet learned that there are three types of Nokia 8:
    TA-1004 dual sim versions - Middle East & South Asia
    TA-1012 single sim version - European countries 
    TA-1052 dual sim version for China and Taiwan
    Source: https://nokiatips.com/2017/10/04/nokia-8-model-numbers/

I think TA-1012 maybe gets the updates first. Correct me if I am wrong.
    (Your phone must be a dual sim version.)

You know nothing about nokia 8 or our problems. He said : "when stable pie update will come?" . Do you know whats the meaning of "stable". Dont worry i will teach you.. stable means there is no compass issue, stable means; there is no camera autofocusing problem. 

i think you r working in hmd. Because you dont know anything about  nokia 8 problems.
  • WWnok WWnok
     / 
    Pie 9 on Nokia 8 blocks tethering accessing non standard ports. with Oreo I had no problem connecting to my work network using the phone as a hotspot. However since the update I am unable to connect to my work network or access ticket system via tethering. If I use the phone browser I can access the ticket system which means that non standard ports are being blocked by the tethering module. HMD say its a Google issue however I have tried other non Nokia phones with Pie installed and the tethering works okay. My advise is if you use tethering don't upgrade to Pie.
    ✭✭✭  / 
    There is a community named: xda developers. Only one coder can solve issues about custom rom for example gps, compass or wifi issue. Only one developer can solve this issues about 1-2 weeks or a month..

But HMD cant fix very simple compass issue about 2-3 months or HMD cant fix camera autofocusing problem about 1 year. 

Why HMD opened a beta program for nokia 8 pie before? if they release same beta version of pie then?? Whats the meaning of beta program for HMD?

Can you explain?
  • Why HMD opened a beta program for nokia 8 pie before? if they release same beta version of pie then?? Whats the meaning of beta program for HMD?

Can you explain?
    Why beta? HMD probably wanted to test a version of Android 9 for Nokia 8 on a greater base than internal testing provides.

Why release final? HMD probably decided that there was no major problems reported by enough beta testers, and that releasing the 5.110 was better than waiting, unless for India, where there was discovered a issue with VoLTE (if I remember correctly).

You might disagree, I might too, but that doesn't change the fact that most users are unaffected by the bugs you complain about. 
    ✭✭✭  / 
    i was in beta test group. İ installed beta pie.. i reported compass and other bugs. Every tester reported same issues. But HMD did nothing. Compass issue is a major bug!! Camera autofocusing problem major bug too. We reported but HMD did nothing..

Think that; if same issues exist in apple, xiaomi, oneplus or samsung what they do? 
  • schox said:
    Why HMD opened a beta program for nokia 8 pie before? if they release same beta version of pie then?? Whats the meaning of beta program for HMD?

Can you explain?
    Why beta? HMD probably wanted to test a version of Android 9 for Nokia 8 on a greater base than internal testing provides.

Why release final? HMD probably decided that there was no major problems reported by enough beta testers, and that releasing the 5.110 was better than waiting, unless for India, where there was discovered a issue with VoLTE (if I remember correctly).

You might disagree, I might too, but that doesn't change the fact that most users are unaffected by the bugs you complain about. 
    Most ppl are unaffected? Really? I dont think so when Compass and WiFi which are 2 basic necessities in a smartphone are not working as they are supposed to. Add to that the fingerprint reset, battery drain and frequent network drop isssues, the device becomes almost unusable.
  • user1508928527225 user1508928527225
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Dheeraj said:
    schox said:

Can you explain?

Most ppl are unaffected? Really? I dont think so when Compass and WiFi which are 2 basic necessities in a smartphone are not working as they are supposed to. Add to that the fingerprint reset, battery drain and frequent network drop isssues, the device becomes almost unusable.
    Hmm, what's the problem with WiFi been? Personally I haven't noticed any difference as far as the WiFi performance and reliability is concerned between Oreo and Pie. No noticeable difference for better or worse with cellular network functionality either, and the battery life has been more or less the same.
    The broken compass functionality is a quite annoying issue though and definitely seems to affect everyone who uses it.

(the fingerprint reset also appears to be something seen by everyone if the battery goes empty, I've probably avoided that just because I've always been a bit obsessed about not letting the battery on a phone reach 0%)
  • Dheeraj said:
    schox said:
    Yes most people are unaffected, and most beta testers did not report those errors. 

I do not know anyone who are affected by those bugs - most people don't even know that they upgraded to Android 9 - only bug who seems to be consistent with Android 9 on nokia 8, is the compass bug - which almost nobody uses - and when it is off, most people who notices  just shrugs 🤷‍♂️ 

You are not representative for most users, neither am I. 
  • user1535316420182 said:

Think that; if same issues exist in apple, xiaomi, oneplus or samsung what they do? 

I have never owned a xiaomi or oneplus - but several apple and Samsung products - and I know what they would do - if it was Apple  and the trouble was a major security hole - they would stop everything, and fix and distribute the fix ASAP - for most all other bugs, they would fix it in due time  maybe in the next major release. 

Samsung do almost the same  just slower, and probably no major release will arrive.
  • Ognjen Šešlija Ognjen Šešlija
     /  edited February 17
    @user1508928527225 and @Dheeraj You are absolutely right, this firmware is pathetic. Battery life is terrible, network drops are there, compass is not functioning as well as other stuff. Check my list at: https://community.phones.nokia.com/post/quote/42497/Comment_82118
    I have also other colleague with Nokia 8 having to charge his phone now each 12 hours rather 24 hours for same work load. Don't let HMD apologists mislead you, firmware is broken. Google apparently made a lousy Android, it transpired to all of us. I wish I could go back to Oreo, and not had received Pie at all.