Roaming data issues

Anyone else had problems with data roaming within the EU, with their Nokia 5?

Roaming data issues

scottishwildcat scottishwildcat
 /  edited September 2018

Anyone else had problems with data roaming within the EU, with their Nokia 5?

My data connection works fine in Ireland, where I live. But whenever I take it to another EU country, most apps act like they're offline when I try to use them. Chrome gives me ERR_CONNECTION_RESET whenever I try to load a webpage. Maps can't load any tiles. Talon doesn't load any new tweets.

At exactly the same time, other apps, like Facebook Messenger, work okay, although messages take a couple of minutes to show up as "delivered". During a recent trip to Spain, I could see that in fact several MB of data was used in the background by all the usual applications, yet they never work when I need them to.

Roaming is enabled, data saver is off, I have a good signal, and plenty of data credit. When I tried my SIM in a different phone on a different network, everything worked fine.

I spoke to my mobile operator and they just said there must be something wrong with my phone, and I should let them swap it for a new one. I hate that idea, mainly because copying absolutely everything from one Android phone to another is a pain in the rear and usually takes me a day or two (especially sorting out my PocketCasts played/unplayed episodes, as the sync function never does that properly). It's certainly not a task I'd entrust to the guy or girl in any phone shop.

Anyone know anything else to check/try?

Comments

• Just decided to chime in. I have a 6.1 works great on the US my home country but visited Niagara Falls in Ontario and my phone refused to roam though I have it enabled. Now I wish someone on this forum can help us especially I'm going to The Philippines in two weeks. Don't wanna get a sim there just for a few days usage.
  • BigJohn1 BigJohn1
    ✭✭  / 
    I have same problem, Live in UK where data roaming works fine, but no data roaming in EU. Worked fine in EU previously until visited EU in May. I'm wondering if there was a corruption when receiving a major update? Checked settings etc. and tried to change Network to no avail. If I put SIM into my partners LG, it works fine. Cannot find solution anywhere on the web.
  • Billwin Billwin
    ✭✭  / 
    My phone is Nokia 3.1 but same problem as described above. Live in UK, roaming in France was ok in July, but travelling to France on Oct 17th my data stopped at Folkestone. Reported issue to Tesco and Nokia. Tried various APN configs and my sim worked ok in a spare Alcatel I had with me. The  phone recently loaded a security update dated 5th October. Now back in UK it's working ok. 
  • NigelStar NigelStar
    ✭✭  / 
    Also the same, Nokia 5, visit family several times a year, was fine until about May, then nothing, France, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland. Obtained new Sim, carried out all recommendations and settings over several visits to EU. Works fine in UK. Sim works fine in other phones, everywhere, but no sims work in this Nokia phone since visit in May 19. It seems to have completed all Updates and is Android 9. Any ideas as this is very important to us while travelling?