Need wireless FM radio handset

Dear HMD Team, I am music lover, so most of the time I prefer to listen from FM RADIO 

Need wireless FM radio handset

NIMISHA NIMISHA
✭✭✭✭  / 
Dear HMD Team,

I am music lover, so most of the time I prefer to listen from FM RADIO 

I recently bought "Nokia Original BH-501 Active Wireless Earphones", it works fine with any music app or music library. But what I feel it would be more fun if I could have played FM radio through it. 

I would suggest you to launch Wireless FM Radio in future handsets so any wireless Bluetooth accessories like earphones, earbuds, etc can be abled to play FM radio.

Thank you
Warm regards
Nimisha 

:)  

Comments

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Ah, the old story of FM radio reception.

This has a technical aspect: FM radio needs an antenna, and this antenna is too long to put inside a phone. So, when a phone supports FM radio reception it uses the wires of wired (not wireless) headphones as the antenna. This is why you can't get FM radio with your BH-501 headphones, which I imagine is a bit of a sad surprise for you, as you don't want to replace your wireless headphones with wired ones.

Now, the ability to receive FM radio without wired headphones is a fun suggestion! I don't know if it is technically possible though. Maybe someone else can tell us?

Maybe you could have wired headphones connected so you can receive FM radio and also have your wireless headphones connected and try and see if you can hear the FM radio app (I don't know if both wired and wireless headphones can be used together simultaneously).

Except, that I think the 8.1 (which I think you have) does not support FM radio :( Check your user guide and see what it says.

Good luck :smiley:
  • Argho Sarkar Argho Sarkar
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Dear HMD Team,

I am music lover, so most of the time I prefer to listen from FM RADIO 

I recently bought "Nokia Original BH-501 Active Wireless Earphones", it works fine with any music app or music library. But what I feel it would be more fun if I could have played FM radio through it. 

I would suggest you to launch Wireless FM Radio in future handsets so any wireless Bluetooth accessories like earphones, earbuds, etc can be abled to play FM radio.

Thank you
    Warm regards
    Nimisha 

:)  

I faced this too with wireless headsets.. Hope in future we can use FM Radio wirelessly too....
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Ah, the old story of FM radio reception.

This has a technical aspect: FM radio needs an antenna, and this antenna is too long to put inside a phone. So, when a phone supports FM radio reception it uses the wires of wired (not wireless) headphones as the antenna. This is why you can't get FM radio with your BH-501 headphones, which I imagine is a bit of a sad surprise for you, as you don't want to replace your wireless headphones with wired ones.

Now, the ability to receive FM radio without wired headphones is a fun suggestion! I don't know if it is technically possible though. Maybe someone else can tell us?

Maybe you could have wired headphones connected so you can receive FM radio and also have your wireless headphones connected and try and see if you can hear the FM radio app (I don't know if both wired and wireless headphones can be used together simultaneously).

Except, that I think the 8.1 (which I think you have) does not support FM radio :( Check your user guide and see what it says.

Good luck :smiley:
    NOKIA 8.1 supports FM Radio brother.... Sorry to disappoint you  :D:D:D
  • NIMISHA NIMISHA
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @madbilly then how this kinds of mobiles' FM work without wired earphones?  :D
    Well, Nokia devices till now support FM RADIO. 
     Also, I got this idea while enjoying my new wireless earphones😀 
    Yes I enjoy my FM Radio through wired earphones which comes along with handset. (I've both)💃✌️

Sorry to say this but I hardly get your 1st stanza 😆, not a technology person like you

@Argho Sarkar  if this technology will come in future I would probably be buying earbuds🤣

Cheers 🍻
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @madbilly then how this kinds of mobiles' FM work without wired earphones?  :D
    Well, Nokia devices till now support FM RADIO. 
     Also, I got this idea while enjoying my new wireless earphones😀 
    Yes I enjoy my FM Radio through wired earphones which comes along with handset. (I've both)💃✌️

Sorry to say this but I hardly get your 1st stanza 😆, not a technology person like you

@Argho Sarkar  if this technology will come in future I would probably be buying earbuds🤣

Cheers 🍻
    again buying earbuds.. why .. Use these ones #Richie_Rich  :D:D
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I've no idea how wireless FM works unfortunately.

And not all Nokia phones support FM radio even with wired headphones. There was a huge long discussion about it for the Nokia 8, and I think the 8 Sirocco and 7+ don't support it either. https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/306/missing-fm-radio

@Argho Sarkar you don't disappoint me by telling me the 8.1 supports FM radio, I am very happy to be wrong! I can't find it in the user guide though, which is why I didn't know.

• NIMISHA NIMISHA
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @madbilly oh! I didn't know that thanks for informing 😃

Cheers🍻
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    I've no idea how wireless FM works unfortunately.

And not all Nokia phones support FM radio even with wired headphones. There was a huge long discussion about it for the Nokia 8, and I think the 8 Sirocco and 7+ don't support it either. https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/306/missing-fm-radio

@Argho Sarkar you don't disappoint me by telling me the 8.1 supports FM radio, I am very happy to be wrong! I can't find it in the user guide though, which is why I didn't know.

ooo.. other devices dont have FM Radio.. that's odd
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited August 1
    Hi @NIMISHA and @Argho Sarkar I've been puzzling about this "Wireless FM Radio" thing and with the launch of the Nokia 220 4G I think I've finally understood it. It needs to be specifically supported by a phone and it is an enhancement over normal FM Radio support which needs a wired headset to be connected to act as an antenna.
    Phones which support "Wireless FM Radio" have a suitable antenna built into the phone. This antenna needs to be about 1.5m long, so to shrink it so it will fit in a phone they use active antennas. There is a detailed technical explanation here: https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon+-+Article+-+BGB719+Miniature+LNA+for+embedded+FM+radio+antenna.pdf?folderId=db3a304312fcb1bc01131b00814e17cf&fileId=db3a30433a047ba0013a4aa7a03b64c2
    I think it's unlikely that we'll see this on smartphones because it might cause interference with the data connection antennas, but it's possible. Still, on the high-end Nokias we're still waiting for FM radio at all!
    Cheers :)
    Note: edited because I found the answer! :grin:

✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Hi @NIMISHA and @Argho Sarkar I've been puzzling about this "Wireless FM Radio" thing and with the launch of the Nokia 220 4G I think I've finally understood it. It needs to be specifically supported by a phone and it is an enhancement over normal FM Radio support which needs a wired headset to be connected to act as an antenna.
    Phones which support "Wireless FM Radio" have a suitable antenna built into the phone. This antenna needs to be about 1.5m long, so to shrink it so it will fit in a phone they use active antennas. There is a detailed technical explanation here: https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon+-+Article+-+BGB719+Miniature+LNA+for+embedded+FM+radio+antenna.pdf?folderId=db3a304312fcb1bc01131b00814e17cf&fileId=db3a30433a047ba0013a4aa7a03b64c2
    I think it's unlikely that we'll see this on smartphones because it might cause interference with the data connection antennas, but it's possible. Still, on the high-end Nokias we're still waiting for FM radio at all!
    Note: edited because I found the answer! :grin:

Yes that's the reason we don't have wireless FM. But I think it can be implemented in upcoming smartphones as Xiaomi recently provided wireless FM in a low budget device Redmi 7A.
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited August 1
    @madbilly Thanks for bringing the explanation here. I remember my friend used to have a Nokia feature phone which played FM Radio without needing a headphone plugged in. It was a B/W device from the XpressRadio series (if my memory is still good). Glad that the 220 4G is bringing that back again.
    And yeah luckily, the Nokia 8.1 and my Nokia 2.2 both support FM Radio. Fun fact, the X7 does not support it. And the X7 also uses memory and emmc from Hynix whereas the 8.1 uses those from Samsung. The 8.1 is better than X7 with NFC, FM and Samsung memory. IDK if that's worth the price hike? 😝
    Unluckily, I am not a fan of FM Radio anymore since there are just too many ads that I have NEVER played it on any of my phones in the last few years.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @singhnsk, interesting info on the X7! I suppose there are similar differences for the X5 and X6 as well.
    FM radio in France is also full of adverts, but I think there are some public service stations which do not have ads but they're not music stations as far as I know. In the UK it's much much better as all of the BBC stations are ad-free, although there are also many many stations which are also full of ads!
    Interesting about the 5030 XpressRadio, I hadn't known that one, I had to look it up!
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited August 4
    madbilly said:
    Hi @singhnsk, interesting info on the X7! I suppose there are similar differences for the X5 and X6 as well.
    FM radio in France is also full of adverts, but I think there are some public service stations which do not have ads but they're not music stations as far as I know. In the UK it's much much better as all of the BBC stations are ad-free, although there are also many many stations which are also full of ads!
    Interesting about the 5030 XpressRadio, I hadn't known that one, I had to look it up!
    My father had that phone. Nokia 5030 XpressRadio with dedicated media buttons (Previous, Play/Pause, Next) on the left side like on the Nokia 5130 and other Xpress Music devices. The speaker was LOUD. Even my Nokia X2-00 supports wireless FM Radio.

Nokia 5030 XpressRadio was running in my mind while commenting on your XpressMusic USB C discussion. They can use these cool brandings once again but don't know whey they don'. It would be a nice feature to have on smartphones. :)
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I just watched a video review of the original Nokia 6 and it said that phone also had wireless FM radio, did it?
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    I just watched a video review of the original Nokia 6 and it said that phone also had wireless FM radio, did it?
    I confirmed it with a friend who owns the 1st gen Nokia 6 and he said it doesn't have Wireless FM radio. :)
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Thanks @Kartik Gada ! :smiley:
  • Muser Muser
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I'm pretty sure "Wireless FM Radios" have a FM antenna built into them.

If you have a broken pair of wired headphones laying around, try this:

- Pair/connect your wireless headphones to your device
    - Plug the wired headphones into your phone
    - Open the FM radio app and select a station
    - See if the app will let you play the audio on your wireless headphones

If it does, you could always just cut the wire off your broken wired headphones and use the connector as an antenna (but remember to keep the stub attached to the connector so you can easily remove it from the 3.5mm port).
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @muser, if the phone doesn't have an internal FM antenna then you need to leave the wire attached to the 3.5mm TRRS plug because it is the wire that is the antenna. If you cut it off you won't have an antenna, just a plug! :D
  • Muser Muser
    ✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Hi @muser, if the phone doesn't have an internal FM antenna then you need to leave the wire attached to the 3.5mm TRRS plug because it is the wire that is the antenna. If you cut it off you won't have an antenna, just a plug! :D
    Hmm, is it actually the wire that acts as the antenna? I always thought it was the plug. :D
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Nokia 220 4G comes with Wireless FM radio. Yes, that's a feature phone but it is the 1st one under HMD Global. So, mentioned it. :)
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @Muser, unfortunately it is the wire. The typical length of wired headphones wires is ~150cm in total, which is about the same as the wavelength of FM radio, I think.