Dead phone...and then resurrected

I bought the 6.1 about a month ago.  Phone worked for 4 days and I went to bed with the phone at about 50% charge.  I woke up the next morning with the phone dead.  I thought it was strange that it would discharge all 50% overnight but okay, I'll plug it in and see if there is an app causing the problem, etc.  The phone though would not charge and remained dead.  Contacted Nokia Support and went through all the steps to revive phone.  Nothing worked.  Advised to return phone to vendor.  I left it plugged in to see if it would charge.

Dead phone...and then resurrected

user1528904812111 user1528904812111
 /  edited July 2018

I bought the 6.1 about a month ago.  Phone worked for 4 days and I went to bed with the phone at about 50% charge.  I woke up the next morning with the phone dead.  I thought it was strange that it would discharge all 50% overnight but okay, I'll plug it in and see if there is an app causing the problem, etc.  The phone though would not charge and remained dead.  Contacted Nokia Support and went through all the steps to revive phone.  Nothing worked.  Advised to return phone to vendor.  I left it plugged in to see if it would charge. But the phone didn't show any signs it was charging at all (stone cold, no heat, nothing to indicate it was charging).  No amount of pressing the power button alone and with the volume buttons would power up the phone.

I returned the phone and when I contacted the vendor about the return status, they told they needed me to disable all security measures.  I told them I couldn't because the phone was dead.  They told me they charged it and it powered up perfectly.  I did try charge it via a power strip that worked (it powers the TV and everything attached with it).  

I know sometimes we do dopey things with technology but this one...I'm stumped with this mystery.


  • It's happened again.  Exactly in the same way.  Used the phone late at night.  Went to bed.  Woke up and realized my phone hadn't made the usual notification noises--reached out to my phone with dread.  Yep, cold stone dead.  Cannot start it with power button or with button and volume buttons.  Started charging it but the phone is still unresponsive and showing no sign it's charging anyway.

    I know there's a massive random restart thread, but my problem seems to happen overnight?  As if the phone isn't used for awhile and then it goes dead.  

    Bought a Samsung S3--worked for 6 years, it still works actually.  The only problem has being the phone growing old and the battery doesn't last.  Otherwise, never had any problems with it.  I've had this Nokia for about a month and it's gone completely unresponsive twice now.

  • user1528904812111 user1528904812111
     /  edited July 2018

    I guess Nokia no longer cares to participate in its support forums...

  • Following up on this Nokia customer service experiment.

    I sent the phone to Nokia Repair last week.  The phone was promptly returned to me which was concerning--did they really fix it?  And of course their response was that they found "no fault" with the phone.  So that was a huge waste of time.  Nokia's advice was to run the phone in Safe Mode and ensure the phone is updated with latest firmware and security patches.  Okay, so I should use my new phone in Safe Mode indefinitely until if and when the random problem pops up again.  And the update advice--well, Nokia, that's not on me is it?  You send out the updates and I'll install them.

  • Reading my first two posts, I realize I didn't include some details that I discovered after writing those posts.

    To summarize:

    1) Phone shut off twice overnight and would not respond at all.  

    2) Wait for 4-5 days or so, plug in phone and it powered up normally.

    3) This happened after 4 days after purchasing phone.  It happened again after 9 days of use.

    4) Sent phone to Nokia after I waited 4 days and again the phone powered up normally.  Sent a letter explaining everything.

    5) Nokia returns phone without any repair because they found no fault with it.

    I guess Nokia considers a phone that shuts off randomly and waiting 4-5 days for it start up as perfectly normal.  

  • I now have zero expectations of any help from Nokia in this forum.  I'm posting to 1) document my issue to see if anyone else can help 2) help others who may have this very particular problem and 3) help others who may be considering a Nokia 6.1. 

    I regret not returning the phone for a refund when I had the chance.

  • My S3 is so old there was no point in selling it so I kept it as my backup (and Roku remote control).  And thank god for that because I have had to use it far more than I have used the Nokia.  Six year old phone--slow and battery is on its last legs, but still far reliable than the 2 month old Nokia. Should have stuck with Samsung.

    Nokia's advice is to use the phone in Safe Mode.  Okay, I understand a bad app can shut a phone down, but how does software then prevent the phone from charging and turning on for 4 or 5 days?

  • same here, i bought it about a month ago,and this morning it suddenly can't be charged. Tried everything still not react just like a black cold brick.

  • If you have a backup phone, you can see if waiting 3-5 days will result in the Nokia being able to take a charge and powering up.  I sent the phone to Nokia and they said there was nothing wrong with the phone's hardware and therefore it must be a software issue.  Their only suggestion was to run the phone in safe mode. I still can't understand how software delays a phone from restarting immediately and only after 3-5 days.  And since this problem happens not on daily basis but randomly over days/weeks, I don't want to run my phone on safe mode that long of a period.  I'm half hoping the problem was tied to the May update...Are you on the June update?   If so, that's bad news for me.

    The first time it happened was after 4 days.  The second was after 9 days.  I got the phone back from Nokia 7 days I'm half expecting the phone to go dead any day now.  Hate having to think this way after purchasing a new phone.  

  • This answer is related to Nokia 3 but it caters the same problem as you are facing and will help you figure out the problem.

  • Sure enough, less than 24 hours after I posted that last message, my phone shut off and is refusing to power up.  Worse is that this time it happened while I was out.  So this time the phone lasted 8 days before dying again.  This is the third time.  I'm not even going to bother to contact Nokia about it as they won't be of much help.  Just going to wait 3-4 days and I'm pretty sure it'll power up at that point.  I'm going to call my credit card company and see if they help me with refunding the phone.

    Nokia says it's a software issue.  Today IIRC, I used email, calendar, Chrome, Wechat and Google Music (music stored on a external card). So if it's software, then it's one of those unless it's something running in the background.

  • void void

    I faced the same problem. Within a month of a purchase, My phone was dead overnight. It was not booting up. I submitted my phone to customer care.

    Nokia care says it's a hardware issue and they will take around a month to fix it. It sucks. Worst customer service, I  have ever seen. 

  • I  also like to bring to your notice that I was informed by your nokia service technicians that my mobile mother board has gone bad and will have to  be replaced, which I straight away denied and  told that I am not ready to replace the part and I want it to replace with a new phone and they said that they have communicated the same with nokia india  and there are awaiting for the reply.  I wish to bring to your notice that  I have purchased on 21.05-2018  which has not even crossed 45 days ( I gave it to repair on 05-07-18) how come a mother board goes  bad in such a short time  and I have never excepted this cheap parts from nokia . I believe Nokia is know for its durability and I still believes in it atleast up to now. This is my primary mobile and almost ten days have gone and I have already requested them to  provide me a temporary replacement which has not be provided. 

  • user1519288044671

    Thanks for the tip.  I'll try it the next time the phone goes dead and there will be a next time...My phone took a charge and booted up a day later after the last shutdown.  So at least it didn't take 3 or more days this time...

    For the last two posters, interesting Nokia told you it was a hardware problem.  They told me they checked my phone and that the hardware was fine and that I needed to find the software issue.

  • This is Nokia's answer for a phone that only works for a few days, shuts off and then only boots back up after a day or more:

    What I would suggest you is keep the device updated and check for new updates as the Security Patch updates in order to get the new one and see if the issue would be found. 

    That's it, that's the solution.  Live with a phone that randomly shuts down and that you can't use for a day or three as you wait for it to charge and boot up.  Hope the new updates will fix the problem.  By the way, who is responsible for providing these updates?  And this problem has happened on the May and June updates. 

    Nokia: Buy our phones--they're good for a few days each month.  What more do you need?  Priceless.

  • Seven days ago, I put the phone into safe mode.  Guess what, tonight it died and won't power up.  Surprise.  So I've owned this phone for a little over 2 months and the longest it has operated without dying and playing dead for awhile is 9 whole days.  The shortest was 4.

    Dead even in safe mode.  I'm so sick of this phone.

  • For those looking for a possible solution...this is Nokia's response:

    "There actually is a known issue after the last few updates with the Model 6.1 and after the update some devices started shutting off. So our temporary solution is turn off location and LTE (4G) mobile data to 3G mobile data, if you do that the phone won"t switch off by itself anymore."

    Of course, I can't do any of the above for now because my phone is still in an extended nap.  Sleeping with the fishes as they say.  And I'm not sure how useful a phone without location services is since I use car/bike share services and public transportation.  All of which rely on GPS and high speed data.

  • So I have to wait...hope it boots back up..verify my data is there...turn off features from phones that been included for the last 5-7 years?

    I will be certainly sending my phone into service, but will also make sure I one star every possible place I can review this phone as this is obviously a hardware design flaw and one month warranty work is not even close to acceptable...
  • user1530029105787

    I can't be sure if you have the same exact problem as mine, but yes, my experience is that all that has worked is time...waiting for the phone to take a charge and power up.  It's been over 15 hours since my phone died and so far, it's still napping away...All I can do is base it on past experience--eventually my phone will wake up.

    The good news is as I have mentioned, when it does finally power up, it's perfectly normal. Everything is there.

    Definitely contact Nokia and document the problem.  When I first contacted them in May about it--it was no, no one has told us about this problem...Then I sent it in and of course, there was nothing wrong with the phone.  That it must be software app issue and I should use safe mode to find it.  This morning it's a "known problem" and it's "just a software issue."  Yeah, just yours, Nokia.

    I still wonder if it's a hardware problem too--how else can you explain the phone not powering up for hours/days?  But I suspect hardware problems are pretty expensive to fix so they're going to only address it as a software issue until they can no longer avoid it. Meanwhile, customers like us just have to live with the inconvenience of phone that likes to take holidays.

  • user1530029105787

    I don't know if you have the same exact problem as mine so I can't say 100% it's going to work for you.  My experience has been that eventually the phone takes a charge and powers up normally.  No data lost.  It's a guessing game on when the phone powers up.  Every few hours, I plug the phone in and power up--until it works.  I do not leave the phone plugged in as that doesn't seem to work or make much difference.

    Definitely document the problem with Nokia.  I sent the phone in after the 2nd incident and they claimed it was not a hardware issue.  "Just a software one".  Of course they advised me to go into safe mode to look for the software that was causing the problem.  Now, they tell me it's "a known issue" that is Nokia's.

    I suspect that hardware problems are much more expensive to fix and Nokia won't admit to it until they have to.  So meanwhile, we just deal with the phone and promises of updates that will fix the problem.  So far I've had the phone on the May and June updates and no solutions there.

  • user1528904812111 user1528904812111
     /  edited August 2018

    I just wanted to add that my model is the TA-1045.  If others have the same issue, maybe we can see if it's related to the model number.

  • Amit Kar Amit Kar
    ✭✭  / 
    I am using this phone for last 25 days approx but didn't find any issues. I think u have a defective handset or any Hardwear issues on that... My phone model no is - TA -1089.
  • user1531031591154

    I think you're right, but Nokia doesn't.  I asked to speak to the next level of support and so *crickets chirping."

    I think Nokia's support policy is to stop communicating with you once both parties realize no actual solution has been offered.

  • So Nokia's solution was to keep my phone updated and hope the new update fix my phone.  Here's the problem, Nokia actually has to provide the updates.  It's the last day of July and I'm still on the June update--the one where my phones crashes and dies temporarily.  

    How does this work? You tell me you're going to fix the problem with updates.  But you don't actually send me the updates?  Have I got that right?

  • user1528904812111 user1528904812111
     /  edited August 2018

    My phone restarted this morning.  Didn't die, but restarted.  I was hoping it was due to the July update but nope, my phone is still on June patch.  So even without 4G (in my case, no data at all, only WIFI) and location turned off, the phone still restarted.  Maybe it restarted to deal with heat?  It was being charged.

    I think Nokia hasn't provided a solution because they haven't even figured out the problem.

  • I purchased a Nokia 7 yesterday, woke up this morning, and it is dead for no reason what so ever.
  • user1533757629482,

    Sorry, I know the feeling.  Since it's only been a day, you should return it to the vendor for another phone or refund. I wish I had done that.  Instead I'm 3 months into this annoying issue where I have to deal with "Is my phone going to shut down or not."  And since I sent my phone in for the 2nd time,  it's "is my phone going to be fixed in time for my international trip?"  I have never spent so much time working out the problems of a phone.  My only experience has been 1) buy new phone, 2) phone works for years because I tend to stick with technology until they stop working or I really want a significant change (ie, flip phone to smartphone).  That's it.  My previous two phones were Samsung and I used them for about a combined 10 years.

  • user1528904812111 user1528904812111
     /  edited August 2018 reply to the last post hasn't shown up. 

    My advice is to return the phone. I didn't know what the problem was initially and thought it was just a one time you see by my multiple posts, it wasn't.  Save yourself the trouble.

  • Thank you for replying. So it's still doing it? Are you able to give me details about the sim? Here in NZ this phone is locked with spark nz. I did put my Vodafone sim in it, which was working except no mobile inet. Which I was going te fix by getting it unlocked by spark nz. I'm wondering if it is possibly a problem related to me doing this? Did you do something similar at all? I just don't want to return without knowing that it could be that.... Nokia were useless when I contacted them this morning. In fact it's the worst customer service I had encountered for anything before in my whole life so far!
  • If you read the entire thread, you'll see my posts about each time it died for awhile.  Look at the timeline.  I could no longer use it as my daily phone.  It's now on its 2nd visit to the Repair Center.  So, make of it what you will.

    In the US the 6.1 is sold unlocked so I'm not sure how the sim card plays into it.  Perhaps there is something to do with the sim card but it's really hard to say.  I just don't know why my phone shuts down and takes a nap. 

    Sorry, I can't be of more help.  All I can say is I wish I had returned the phone for a refund when I had the chance.  It's just not worth the aggro.  It's taken up over 2 months of my time.  And now I'm sweating out whether or not I will get the phone back and in working order in time for an international trip.  Again, not worth the aggro.  My limited experiences with phones is that they just work...this is my first problem child.

  • I read elsewhere on the net that 4g could havd something to do with it. And that setting it for 3g eliminated it.... Sorry I have lost the link! I have read through most of the thread.
Sign In or Register to comment.