What I'm experiencing in Barcelona! "Live" from MWC 😀

Comments

• uzair ahmed uzair ahmed
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Congratulations @madbilly
  • nitheesh nitheesh
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited February 2019
    Again you famous @madbilly 🤩

Here’s our Day 2 recap. Listen to what fans and tech enthusiasts at #MWC19 have to say us about the new Nokia 9 PureView and the rest of of our announcements! #Nokiamobile #GetSmart pic.twitter.com/21T1RdRlXw

— Nokia Mobile (@NokiaMobile) February 27, 2019
  • wilson shrestha wilson shrestha
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Back home now - what an amazing few days! Thanks to to @matteo.m for the invitation, @maria.03 and @edo for the amazing hospitality, to @Francesco Bacchini, @radu, @TommiS and @user1513721243854 for the great company and to all the HMD team for their kindness and willingness to chat whilst we were there :smiley:

Over the next few days I'll post a few more fun pics in this thread and write new posts on specific topics.

Cheers :)
    Have a good rest @madbilly. And, we are waiting for your posts and basically would love to know where Nokia will be heading next.
  • Tôi phải thừa nhận tôi thích ý tưởng của đèn thông báo. Hy vọng sẽ thấy nhiều thiết bị hơn với. Sẽ thật tuyệt nếu Nokia 9 được tích hợp sẵn.

Không nghĩ máy ảnh của Nokia 9 sẽ tuyệt vời như vậy. Giống như máy ảnh đơn sắc cũng có thể chụp ảnh đen trắng chuyên sâu. Thực sự ấn tượng ...
  • Francesco Bacchini Francesco Bacchini
    ✭✭  /  edited February 2019
    Hey everyone! I'm back home too!
    I just wanted to say that I'll be forever grateful for this experience in Barcelona.
    In the coming days I'll post some thoughts about the trip.

@madbilly, is there a way to add friends on this platform?
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    @Francesco Bacchini No I don't think so, or at least it is not implemented here by HMD. You can look up Vanilla Forums to see if the software supports it and if so ask Laura in the forum feedback section.
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    @utpal07 nice photos! Where you there as well?
  • stipe1906 stipe1906
    ✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    :D
    It was also a pleasure to meet the #No1NokiaFans from Nokiamob.net, @stipe1906 ! My favourite place to catch up on all Nokia related news :smiley:
    Thanks man. It was nice meeting you too. ;) Cheers 
  • stipe1906 stipe1906
    ✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    :D
    It was also a pleasure to meet the #No1NokiaFans from Nokiamob.net, @stipe1906 ! My favourite place to catch up on all Nokia related news :smiley:
    Thanks man. It was nice meeting you too,. Cheers 
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    madbilly said:
    More info about the Nokia 9 Camera on Mrwhosetheboss featuring Juho Sarvikas and Konsta Punkka :

Hmmm, I need to check again, I didn't find mono video or 4k with HDR.
    There's no mono video option but 4K HDR is possible (although I'm not sure how it is achieved).
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    Krishna said:
    @madbilly
    Bro one request ask to sarvikas sir

Nokia UI special series ?
    Do you mean a custom Nokia-made launcher instead of Android One?
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    wyk said:
    may be shutter speed exclusively designed for 9... what about HDR performance & camera UI?  Tell about wow factors of penta cam..  & in hand feeling 😍 @madbilly
    Hi @wyk, sorry it too my so long to reply.

There's no doubt that the HDR performance is incredible, out of this world, best on a smartphone by far.

Camera UI - it's an evolution of the Pro UI used on all ZEISS phones (I think) except the 8. Personally I prefer the UI on the 8, I don't like the "carousel". However, there is another UI on the 3.2 and 4.2 - you can see some pictures of this on Nokiamob.net and maybe some videos elsewhere on the web.

The penta-lens camera monster (!) is cool to look at, but somehow understated because there's no bulge. In use, you get a feel for the power of it because the first picture you see after taking the photo is a little blurred, whilst it is being processed, then after a second or so you see the whole Nokia 9 PureView penta-lens magic coming through. Using refocus is then amazing, really easy to use and really impressive.

In hand feeling to me was quite new, because I was comparing it to the Nokia 8. The 8 is an aluminium body but the 9 is a glass sandwich, but almost unibody glass, as the sides in aluminium aren't very obvious (at least weren't to me). It's much easier to grip than the 8 (which is like a bar of soap!) but attracts many more fingerprints. I will be interested to see the official cases which HMD makes for this (I hope they make some), but for now there are plenty of third-party ones online (I even saw some HMD people using ones which they'd bought online months ago, as you remember the design was leaked and cases have been on sale for a long time).
  • nitheesh nitheesh
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 2019
    I will be interested to see the official cases which HMD makes for this (I hope they make some)

I think they have. When I choosing Nokia Clear Case from there website, it's listed. But it's a clear case.

• wyk wyk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    wyk said:
    may be shutter speed exclusively designed for 9... what about HDR performance & camera UI?  Tell about wow factors of penta cam..  & in hand feeling 😍 @madbilly
    Hi @wyk, sorry it too my so long to reply.

There's no doubt that the HDR performance is incredible, out of this world, best on a smartphone by far.

Camera UI - it's an evolution of the Pro UI used on all ZEISS phones (I think) except the 8. Personally I prefer the UI on the 8, I don't like the "carousel". However, there is another UI on the 3.2 and 4.2 - you can see some pictures of this on Nokiamob.net and maybe some videos elsewhere on the web.

The penta-lens camera monster (!) is cool to look at, but somehow understated because there's no bulge. In use, you get a feel for the power of it because the first picture you see after taking the photo is a little blurred, whilst it is being processed, then after a second or so you see the whole Nokia 9 PureView penta-lens magic coming through. Using refocus is then amazing, really easy to use and really impressive.

In hand feeling to me was quite new, because I was comparing it to the Nokia 8. The 8 is an aluminium body but the 9 is a glass sandwich, but almost unibody glass, as the sides in aluminium aren't very obvious (at least weren't to me). It's much easier to grip than the 8 (which is like a bar of soap!) but attracts many more fingerprints. I will be interested to see the official cases which HMD makes for this (I hope they make some), but for now there are plenty of third-party ones online (I even saw some HMD people using ones which they'd bought online months ago, as you remember the design was leaked and cases have been on sale for a long time).
    WOOW .. . 🥰

... Does it make any huge difference in the absence of stabilizer .. Specially in 4k or 1080p .. Or it uses any special algorithm to stabilize video. 
  • todesurteil todesurteil
    ✭✭✭  /  edited March 2019
    nitheesh said:
    I will be interested to see the official cases which HMD makes for this (I hope they make some)

I think they have. When I choosing Nokia Clear Case from there website, it's listed. But it's a clear case.

The problem I had with the clear case on the Sirocco was it was super slip non-grip. It was difficult to remove once on your phone, it was slippery and if a table was not level it will start to slide and luckily never fell off and was damaged in the process. I prefer the current case I use the body glove case, it's a bit shock absorbent and made from a rubber type compound/substance. It's drop tested and has a purposely made non-slip design. Well that's what they claim. At least it doesn't slide off from surfaces anymore is all I can say at this stage.  
  • nitheesh nitheesh
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    nitheesh said:

The problem I had with the clear case on the Sirocco was it was super slip non-grip. It was difficult to remove once on your phone, it was slippery and if a table was not level it will start to slide and luckily never fell off and was damaged in the process. I prefer the current case I use the body glove case, it's a bit shock absorbent and made from a rubber type compound/substance. It's drop tested and has a purposely made non-slip design. Well that's what they claim. At least it doesn't slide off from surfaces anymore is all I can say at this stage.  

I also faced the same situation. So currently I am using 

For my Nokia 8.1 l
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Must say I like the UAG cases have used them on other devices, only wish they made cases for Nokia devices too. A case like this would work better, it's still semi-clear but have strategic places where it grips to a surface.

https://urbanarmorgear.com/products/plasma-series-google-pixel-xl
  • nitheesh nitheesh
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 2019
    Must say I like the UAG cases have used them on other devices, only wish they made cases for Nokia devices too. A case like this would work better, it's still semi-clear but have strategic places where it grips to a surface.

https://urbanarmorgear.com/products/plasma-series-google-pixel-xl
    Thanks for the link 👍 but this for Google pixel, right?
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @nitheesh
    Unfortunately yes it's for Pixel devices. Would have liked if they made for Nokia's too.
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    @wyk video uses EIS, so it's software, I imagine very similar to 7+ and 8 Sirocco.
  • wilson shrestha wilson shrestha
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Did I miss out on something or they didn't mention about the availability of the new face unlock method for their older devices including the fairly new Nokia 8.1 on the stage?
    @wilson shrestha They didn't mention it, I will try and find out.
    Any news on this @madbilly? Did you find out something?
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  /  edited March 2019
    @wilson shrestha I didn't manage to find anything out from HMD but Nokiamob.net found this press release from a company called Sensory: https://www.sensory.com/hmd-global-selects-sensory-to-secure-nokia-smartphones-with-trulysecure-face-id/

If the technology is purely software based then it could be backported to other Nokias, but if it needs some hardware then it probably can't be. I think your question was asked by someone in the ask-me-anything so we'll have to see if that question is answered when we (finally) see the video. (they have definitely made the video, but I've no idea when we'll see it).

Note that this face unlock isn't considered secure by banks AFAIK as it's not 3D-based.
  • Note that this face unlock isn't considered secure by banks AFAIK as it's not 3D-based.
    It will be interesting to see if it works in extreme low-light conditions (i.e. at night).
  • Dailylife Dailylife
    ✭✭✭  / 
    MWC is quite meaningful for me.

I heard of the new PureView, watched successive reports, and pre-ordered the Nokia 9 as soon as it became available here in Asia.

Happy times.

Eclectic Nostalgia, as it were... :smile:
  • neng neng
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Thanks @madbilly for continuously posting updates in the forum at each part of the event, whether interactions with HMD staffs or announcement of the new smartphones ;) ... Glad that HMD invited you to be a part of MWC 2019, so you could keep us alive with the activities there!!!  :)
  • Dailylife Dailylife
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I understand the NOKIA true wireless buds have been out for a while now, but I've got no way of finding them in China? Anyone have a heads up for me there? Thanks...