✭✭✭  / 
Bit disappointed with this phone. Very low end

Comments

• Keith Keith
    ✭✭✭  / 
    By the number I was expecting a QWERTY keyboard  
  • Corgan Corgan
    ✭✭  / 
    I'm kind of happy that it's S30+. I've used KaiOS, and it's probably more a problem with the phone itself, but I've yet to see it implemented nicely. So far, it just always seems like it's asking too much of the hardware it's on.
  • Camera is only 0.3 mp bad thing
  • Keith Keith
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Seems this is the replacement for the 216 but without the selfie camera. It does have Bluetooth and a micro sd card slot. 
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    KaiOS is intended for phones with 3G/4G and WiFi, but the 210 is 2.5G.

Having seen and held it it's a very smart little phone.
  • Keith Keith
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Certainly looks good. Looks like it has a revised version of S30+ as the icons are more like the Java OS
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    Yes they told us they revamped the icons to refresh the look.
  • luckyjim17 luckyjim17
    ✭✭  / 
    I too was hoping this would be a revamp of the Nokia Asha 210. Ideally with 4g and a better camera. Sadly, it looks like another cheap throwaway 2g phone. Come on Nokia you say you’re innovative but you’re just revamping the same 2g phones. People are asking for good quality smart feature phones with long battery life and 5Mp or better cameras. Get the core features right and most don’t care if it’s S30+ or KaiOS. If you’re not careful the likes of Jio phone and others will start to overtake you. Look at what most people want (it’s not gimmicks) . Long battery, easy to use phone with a good quality camera (look at what types of cameras were available- better than the ones you offer on your feature phones now), a few useful everyday core apps/ features (I.e. a notes app, shared calendars, message app for various email providers and WhatsApp integration), a well made product ( with good quality buttons- not cheap squishy ones and the whole product that can be easily and properly recycled). Just look at the Feature phone innovation before smartphones such as sliding keyboards, compressed data usage apps, etc. PLEASE!
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    Hi @luckyjim17, I don't know why HMD won't make a "super" feature phone (as you seem to be describing) but it's presumably because they don't think there's a market anymore. I know that Nokia used to make these phones, even up until the Asha series, but they stopped when Microsoft bought them and HMD have not restarted. I hope they will, but I think the features you ask for are considered to be for touchscreen smartphones now,  not T9 smart/super feature phones. (I really dislike all these names smart, feature, etc, because some of the old Nokias with T9 interface were much smarter than current touchscreen "smartphones").
    Cheers :smiley:
  • luckyjim17 luckyjim17
    ✭✭  / 
    Thanks for the reply Madbilly, much appreciated 🙂 I’m just a bit confused, why join up with KaiOS and look like the company is interested in this type of phone then do very little. There is a market I’m sure when looking around and I’m not expecting many phones. Just looking for a decent replacement for one of their best (T9) classics which is less frustrating to use (I.e. messaging -  have a keyboard at 90 degrees at the side (longest side) or maybe a slide out keyboard - not miniature buttons that can’t be read or used). Is it really that much to ask for (1 decent messaging phone most people can use?). Fed up of having to charge a smartphone every other day just because it has the few features I want that used to be available on feature phones and could be easily transferred on a feature phone revamp 😕 thanks again Madbilly.
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    Hi @luckyjim17, I completely agree, there's no good reason why HMD can't make a phone like this. I presume it's only because they think that the potential market is not big enough, or that it would cost them so much to to make it that customers would not be prepared to pay the price. Who know - maybe we can ask in the next "ask me anything" and hope for a miracle - that we would actually get an answer! :D
  • luckyjim17 luckyjim17
    ✭✭  / 
    Hi Madbilly, definitely see your points. I’ve just noticed a few people mentioning a Mobiwire phone (Oneida - I think) has almost what I’m talking about (except it’s a candy bar phone (no sliding keyboard like the old LG message phones). Pity Nokia can’t see the potential market that other companies can (Reliant Jio, Mobiwire, Alcatel, etc). If the Jio 2 came to Europe I wonder if Nokia/HMD would see a market then. Would be better to take the lead than follow. Maybe one day 🤞 
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    Hi @luckyjim17, well so far HMD has only taken the lead on a few things as far as I can tell:
    • Android One
    • 2 years OS / 3 years security updates even for non-Android One phones
    • Homogenous multi-camera imaging (9 PureView)
    • "Originals" - Retro phones!
    I would have thought that under the retro-phone area there would be scope for a phone like you describe. @juho and @pekka rantala both dropped hints in Barcelona that we would see a new "originals" phone this year, so we just have to wait and see. HMD also obtained the Asha trademark from Microsoft last year I think, so there is the possibility that we might see a phone like the Jiophone2 from HMD, although I would not bet on it.
    Fingers crossed ;)
  • luckyjim17 luckyjim17
    ✭✭  / 
    Fingers crossed 🤞 
  • duberry duberry
    ✭✭  / 
    The new originals phone is a Nokia 220. 4g and 2g no 3g which is actually quite sensible. 3g is at risk of being closed as its less coverage than 4g now. 

I agree with both of you why release a phone that doesn’t use Kaios? They had there own software with whatsapp support and that was symbian. They abandoned it and so did whatsapp.

The new feature phones you talk about are here. Mobiwire oneida. Even the nokia 8110 4g has whatsapp wifi etc... the new 220 seems to go backwards as no kaios and no whatsapp. Why would they do that? It won’t sell and serves them right. I agree with both of you. I’m happy to have a simpke phone with basic internet access to chrck trsin times or the news. Then just whatsapp with calls. I’m happy not to even have an app store just having these apps pre installed. Some might want facebook as well and thats it. Mobiwire achieved it with a forked version of android and kaios has support and has appeared on jiophone. In fact https://www.kaiostech.com/meet-the-devices-that-are-powered-by-kaios/ shows all the phones that support kaios. Also whatsapp can be downloaded on all of them as they have made the release global. 

Come on hmd either make an investment in kaios like google or adopt it and die. You had to adopt android in the end because symbian was dying or at least release new software comparable to kaios. I don’t think you can do that now. So get your finger out. Why support it with 8110 4g and then go back to the updateless feature os of the nokia 3310 3g? 
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    Is the 220 4G part of the originals range? I agree it looks a bit retro, classic looks and nice colours, but it's not specifically named after an older model.
    The 2204G costs a lot less than the 8110 4G so I expect that KaiOS want to charge too much for the licence to make it worthwhile for HMD, or the 220 4G hardware isn't good enough to run a Linux based OS. Personally if I have MMS messages I don't need Whatsapp, I only use Whatsapp when it's easier to communicate with people in another country when MMS would be more expensive.
    Cheers :)
  • f82 f82
    ✭✭  / 
    > @madbilly said:
    > Hi @duberry,
    >
    > Is the 220 4G part of the originals range? I agree it looks a bit retro, classic looks and nice colours, but it's not specifically named after an older model.
    >
    > The 2204G costs a lot less than the 8110 4G so I expect that KaiOS want to charge too much for the licence to make it worthwhile for HMD, or the 220 4G hardware isn't good enough to run a Linux based OS. Personally if I have MMS messages I don't need Whatsapp, I only use Whatsapp when it's easier to communicate with people in another country when MMS would be more expensive.
    >
    >
    > Cheers :)

I think just an opinion that maybe it will not run that o.s. probably a new specific hardware/software for a lower end sector compared to the 8110. For me I'd just like to see alternative not linux based phones but with low level fastest high end quality feature phones with higher end features (better screen, better camera module, best keyboards feedback). And I'd be happy to see different features phones with different o.s. and hardwares. Back in the old times there were "hundreds" of completely different feature phones every ones with different o.s. and hardware, different screens, different good or bad points.