Thoughts about Nokia 9 pureview

What are your thoughts about this phone? I'm really excited about this. But also worried about after sales service especially in India.

Thoughts about Nokia 9 pureview

Karthiks Karthiks
✭✭  / 
What are your thoughts about this phone? I'm really excited about this. But also worried about after sales service especially in India. Nokia's track record in it is not good. If the pureview gets any problem I don't think they'll have any spare parts for this...
And also SD 845 in 2019 where SD855 with 5g support is getting launched?

I'm confused about buying this.
Tagged:

Comments

• Jonesqalez838 Jonesqalez838
    ✭✭  / 
    I'm seriously liking the phone, however, the low battery capacity and lack of a 3.5mm jack stops me from buying it. HMD should stop following silly trends (removal of the 3.5mm jack, notch) and just stay special and different. 
  • Muser Muser
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Love everything I'm hearing about the device and the camera samples look amazing. I'm disappointed by the lack of a headphone jack. Many existing HMD devices have also received buggy updates so I'm worried about overall longevity if update QA doesn't improve. It also doesn't look like the device will release in Canada.

It's disappointing that there's no OIS but I can see why, OIS modules for 5 different lenses would increase the price. Hopefully the rumored SD 855 device deals with some of these issues.
  • I love the design and the look. I also like the pOled display. But they should have kept the jack. There was actually no need to remove it and I didn't expect Nokia to blindly follow some unwanted trend started by some companies. Still I am excited for this phone. Waiting for the price reveal in india, if it's released at reasonable price then it can sell better. Nokia needs to launch a flagship phone. Also if it has more color options like Nokia 8s copper, silver and some dark emrald green then it'll attract more attention. But please improve the after sales and customer care service Nokia, it's very important aspect of any good business. 
  • Does the Nokia 9 PureView have distortion-free (up to 132 db audio recording, like the 8 Sirocco?
  • Jannis Jannis
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Seems to be a great phone. But knowing Nokia/HMD they will certainly very soon announce the Nokia 9.1 or Nokia 9 plus. So it's maybe better to wait.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    The 9 will only be available in that dark blue, I asked Juho and this is what he said.

I agree the absence of a 3.5mm jack is annoying, but there's very little space left inside that phone with the 6 cameras, flash, time of flight sensor, custom ASIC image processor and the largest battery they could manage to fit (still relatively small though).

I fully agree that lack of OIS, even on just the central camera for recording video, is a shame. Maybe this was done for space reasons. Note that the 8 only has OIS on one camera, the colour one (not the monochrome) so it's clear the OIS is not used in photography, only video.

About the audio recording, I believe that to get OZO Audio branding the recording must meet certain fidelity requirements, so it should be comparable to the 8 Sirocco. My only disappointments with the audio are that it doesn't have 4 mics, only 3, so can't use the most advanced OZO Audio features; and there is only one speaker, not two for stereo playback.

A nice new addition is the video out by USB-C to DisplayPort I think. I saw this demoed and I think it's the first new Nokia phone to do this.

I agree that aftersales service and updates could be a problem, based on HMD's performance to date with their high-end phones.

Overall this phone is a new PureView, but it is not a new N series-equivalent device.
  • potemkin potemkin
    ✭✭✭  /  edited February 28
    madbilly said:
    Note that the 8 only has OIS on one camera, the colour one (not the monochrome) so it's clear the OIS is not used in photography, only video.
    I think you're wrong about that. I've taken night time photos with both Galaxy A8 (2018) which doesn't have OIS and Nokia 8 using Gcam port. Photos taken with A8 were brighter because it has lens with larger aperture (f/1.7), but Nokia 8 photos came absolutely superior in image quality. That wouldn't be possible without OIS.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    potemkin said:
    madbilly said:
    Note that the 8 only has OIS on one camera, the colour one (not the monochrome) so it's clear the OIS is not used in photography, only video.
    I think you're wrong about that. I've taken night time photos with both Galaxy A8 (2018) which doesn't have OIS and Nokia 8 using Gcam port. Photos taken with A8 were brighter because it has lens with larger aperture (f/1.7), but Nokia 8 photos came absolutely superior in image quality. That wouldn't be possible without OIS.
    I'm certain I'm correct, but if you find documentary evidence to the contrary I am very open to changing my mind :smile:

Remember the Nokia 8 when used in dual camera mode can acquire more light anyway for the same reason that the new 9 can - mono cameras don't filter any light. This by itself could explain the superior image quality on the Nokia 8 vs Galaxy A8.
  • potemkin potemkin
    ✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    potemkin said:
    madbilly said:
    I'm certain I'm correct, but if you find documentary evidence to the contrary I am very open to changing my mind :smile:

Remember the Nokia 8 when used in dual camera mode can acquire more light anyway for the same reason that the new 9 can - mono cameras don't filter any light. This by itself could explain the superior image quality on the Nokia 8 vs Galaxy A8.
    I've never seen any difference between color only and twin mode. Probable reason: HMD's poor programming. Anyway, there are two problems with your theory. First, Galaxy A8 actually acquires much more light (see lens aperture) but because image isn't stabilized it looks quite lousy. Secondly, Gcam doesn't support Nokia 8 "twin mode", so monochrome sensor doesn't come into play at all.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 1
    @potemkin maybe we're not talking about the same thing - do you mean "my theory" about OIS not being used in dual-camera mode? I only just realised that this could be the thing we're disagreeing about. When I said "I'm certain I'm correct" I meant about the mono-camera not having OIS. I'm sure you're right that photography uses the OIS on the colour camera, it wouldn't make sense for it not to, I got mixed up.
  • potemkin potemkin
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @madbilly Everything is clear now ;)
  • I'm pre-ordering this phone! Pictures captured on the pre-production model looks amazing. Only thing i would have wanted to see out of the nokia 9 would have been a xenon flash, which the lumia 1020 had. Party night shots come out so much better compared to led flash because of xenon's capabilities to freeze action shots.

Lack of headset jack doesn't affect me. Been using bluetooth for 10 years and find it much more convenient than having a wire attached to the phone. Really surprised people all over the web is complaining about headphone jacks. I think in time people will get used to it because of apple. Ever since the Ipad, a lot of people who aren't familiar with android tablets will call the android tablet an Ipad. Apple has released the apple airpod, which more people are using over the wired headset. Hopefully consumers will be smart enough not to call every wireless headsets airpod.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Yes a xenon flash would have been nice, as would a two stage dedicated camera button and OIS.
  • N808 N808
    ✭✭  / 
    Given that, with no memory expansion being provided, and only 128Gb internal storage, how large is a RAW file?
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    20-40MB I think, that's what I think I remember from talking to HMD people in Barcelona.
  • wyk wyk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    actually this camera phone should have shutter button. 
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  / 
    > @wyk said:
    > actually this camera phone should have shutter button. 

I wholly disagree. When I used the Nokia 808, I found the camera shutter button to be annoying and troublesome.

Different strokes for different folks.

But, I'm SO glad that my new PureView will 'not' have it.
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  /  edited March 6
    > @N808 said:
    > Given that, with no memory expansion being provided, and only 128Gb internal storage, how large is a RAW file?

Just so you know, there are ways of 'getting' a nice fat 1TB of storage by looking through different corners of the internet for unlocked versions of the Adobe LR app. I 'may' have downloaded it already - and patiently await to install it on my new device.
    If you want a link, you can PM me.

Edited by Moderator: Please don't share your personal information in the comments. You are very welcome to do this via PM
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  / 
    > @madbilly said:
    > Yes a xenon flash would have been nice, as would a two stage dedicated camera button and OIS.

I might be two crackers shy of a light lunch, but I'm terribly relieved that there is no dedicated button on the new PureView.

I wonder if I'm a minority? You'd think that Nokia Mobile would do their research?
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  / 
    > @skinnyflip said:
    > I'm pre-ordering this phone! Pictures captured on the pre-production model looks amazing. Only thing i would have wanted to see out of the nokia 9 would have been a xenon flash, which the lumia 1020 had. Party night shots come out so much better compared to led flash because of xenon's capabilities to freeze action shots.
    >
    > Lack of headset jack doesn't affect me. Been using bluetooth for 10 years and find it much more convenient than having a wire attached to the phone. Really surprised people all over the web is complaining about headphone jacks. I think in time people will get used to it because of apple. Ever since the Ipad, a lot of people who aren't familiar with android tablets will call the android tablet an Ipad. Apple has released the apple airpod, which more people are using over the wired headset. Hopefully consumers will be smart enough not to call every wireless headsets airpod.

Ya know??

Exactly, who 'cares' about the **** jack. It's 2019.
    I happen to have a very nice set of wired Sennheiser earphones, but included in the kit is an adapter to convert the signal through the USB-C port.

What's the big deal, folks? Mamma Mia...
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  / 
    > @Muser said:
    > Love everything I'm hearing about the device and the camera samples look amazing. I'm disappointed by the lack of a headphone jack. Many existing HMD devices have also received buggy updates so I'm worried about overall longevity if update QA doesn't improve. It also doesn't look like the device will release in Canada.
    >
    > It's disappointing that there's no OIS but I can see why, OIS modules for 5 different lenses would increase the price. Hopefully the rumored SD 855 device deals with some of these issues.

I have a colleague who bought the 2016 Nokia 6 - has had regular updates, hasn't had one issue with it until now.
    I've not yet bought a new Nokia, and the last I owned was the PureView 808 until it was stolen in Beijing.

I've pre-ordered the new Nokia 9 from Hong Kong. It's good enough to get me to come back after 7+ years. Hope they can get it for you in Canada. If not, hop across to the US. They'll have tonnes there.
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  / 
    > @Karthiks said:
    > What are your thoughts about this phone? I'm really excited about this. But also worried about after sales service especially in India. Nokia's track record in it is not good. If the pureview gets any problem I don't think they'll have any spare parts for this...
    > And also SD 845 in 2019 where SD855 with 5g support is getting launched?
    >
    > I'm confused about buying this.

As I've mentioned in a few other places within the community, I lost my Nokia 808 PureView in 2012 and have used a cheap Samsung CoreDuo ever since.

The name 'PureView' has brought me back - as I've already pre-ordered one.

The rationale that the phone has taken a long time to develop satisfies me with regards to the Snapdragon 845. If it's highly optimized - what's the big deal, right?

HMD doesn't wanna **it the bed with this one.

I'll be more than happy to give additional feedback once my phone has arrived.

I'll actually put it as my profile picture once in-hand. So, when you see that, ask away dude.
  • Maxstr Maxstr
    ✭✭  / 
    Nokia 9 works pretty good for me. And the lack of OIS is kind of mitigated by image post-processing. It does use the Light technology after all. 
  • N808 N808
    ✭✭  / 
    There are two videos on YouTube from reviewers in the USA who have purchased the Nokia 9 from Best Buy.

One does contain some preliminary sample photos:

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 5
    @Pitkänen regarding the 3.5mm socket, you said it yourself: "different strokes for different folks"!

There's nothing "modern" or "cutting edge" about removing a truly universal feature just because another feature can provide the same functionality, albeit with some shortcomings. USB-C audio adapters don't allow Quickcharge at the same time - if they allow any charging at all it's limited to <1A, IIRC. With a separate 3.5mm socket we can sit on a train, or plane, or in cafe - wherever - listening to music and quick-charging our phones at the same time. Without the 3.5mm socket that's not possible (except with bluetooth headphones, but that adds another battery issue).

And about the shutter button: Again it's about personal taste. Whilst you may have found the one on the 808 awkward I can say from my experience that the one on the N8 and 925 were a joy to use - much more intuitive than tapping the screen to focus then fumbling around trying to press the in-display shutter button or pressing the volume button, which in my experience is much more likely to cause blurred photos, even with OIS (which the 9 doesn't have).

So, I have my reservations about the overall package of the 9 PureView. It's far from perfect (for me) but that camera does partly make up for it's shortcomings.

PS - no need to publish your email address on the forum here, just ask people to send you a private message. I would have thought that with a protonmail account you'd be a bit more privacy-minded ;)
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @madbilly You've made some excellent points.

About the headphone jack, there certainly will be times when using one's handset to listen to tunes, an audiobook, as you've mentioned on a plane, train etc. will be disrupted or inconvenienced by the lack of a top-placed jack; especially when it relates to battery conservation. I don't think the suggesting the alternative of 'quietly humming Om Mani Padme Hum' would be widely accepted response from the design team.

We seem to have had completely different experiences with regards to the physical shutter. I could be that my far-sightedness caused me to hold the phone quite far away from me which physically made tapping the screen the closer option than up-and-over with the physical shutter. I wear reading glasses, but not when taking photos outdoors. Lasik surgery - that might have made all the difference.

Seeing that I'll be moving on from a base level Samsung to this mama, I'm probably much less inclined to be put off by things others who have used tangibly more modern devices would be. It certainly doesn't discount their gripes, I just have a harder time relating to them.

About the email, at the time I posted that I didn't have the ability to send private messages, so I wasn't sure whether or not I would be able to receive them? That issue seems sorted now. But alas, N808 has not hit me up yet for that 'evaluation copy' link. Living where I do, using Protonmail is almost a no-brainer. They make a good VPN, too. Yay, The Swiss! :smile:  

• Mike J Mike J
     / 
    I bought it and have had it for 3 days now. Great experience so far. My one issue is that the fingerprint sensor isn't reliable. I often have to resort to my password due to failure to scan the fingerprint after numerous attempts. Anyone else experiencing this?
  • neilk neilk
    ✭✭  / 
    I received and setup my 9 yesterday.  Really had pretty good reliability with the fingerprint reader the remainder of the day.  Starting this morning it is as if the fingerprint reader almost stopped working.  In over 25 tries it only unlocked one time.  I setup and enabled the face unlock and it is working fine.  Hopefully an update will make the fingerprint reader more reliable.  Keeps telling me I am unrecognized or I need to press harder.  This is with both of the fingers I setup.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hmmm. First reviews have said something similar, although not as bad.