RE: Nokia-3 Auto-Updates (Apps)

Hi folks, I recently replaced my Nokia Lumia 735 with a Nokia-3 model.

RE: Nokia-3 Auto-Updates (Apps)

monsterjazzlicks monsterjazzlicks
✭✭  / 

Hi folks,

I recently replaced my Nokia Lumia 735 with a Nokia-3 model.

I do not want any of the apps to auto-update (in fact I don't ever want them to update unless I manually permit it). I though I had disabled this feature but it seems Google Apps are updating every other day.  The apps which update (photos, camera, maps, duo, etc) are not even apps that I use, or even want! If I could, I would uninstall them all.  As far as I am concerned they are just evasive bloatware.

In any event, I would be grateful if someone might help me fully disable the unwanted updates.

Many thanks in advance as always.

Paul (UK)

Comments

• emaz anwar emaz anwar
    ✭✭  /  edited June 15

If you don't use an app or want to disable them you can go to settings> apps & notifications> app info and then tap on the app you want to disable and then click on disable. You can also first uninstall their updates and then disable them so they do not take up unnecessary space. Unfortunately you cannot uninstall pre-installed Google apps at this time...

• monsterjazzlicks monsterjazzlicks
    ✭✭  / 

Hi Emaz,

Thanks a lot.

A open 'settings' but the 'apps' & 'notifications' are two different options (ie. not listed as > apps & notifications> ). 'Apps' & 'notifications' lie under 'DEVICE'.

Cheers,

Paul 

✭✭  / 

Why do my replies not show?  This happens all of the time.  I have to then spend another 10 x minutes retyping it all out again!

• emaz anwar emaz anwar
    ✭✭  /  edited June 15
    Yah it's kind of annoying for me too! I've reported this bug to the community moderator, Laura and she is saying that she is annoyed by this bug too! Lol...
    ✭✭  / 

Hi Emaz,

I gave you a full reply and it's still not even showing!

Cheers

• emaz anwar emaz anwar
    ✭✭  /  edited June 15
    I'm sorry to hear that... But unfortunately I will not be able to help you if I don't get that reply! :(
    ✭✭  / 

I just typed it all out AGAIN for you and it's not showing!!!!!  I can't believe it!  Cheers.

• emaz anwar emaz anwar
    ✭✭  /  edited June 16

There's nothing I can do about this! :(

✭✭  / 

Hi Emaz,

I'll keep this very short just in case it does not post again.

"> apps & notifications>" are two separate categories.  I mean, they are listed as two separate items, both under the heading of 'device'.

Thanks,

Paul

✭✭  / 

This really is quite ridiculous now!  That's THREE TIMES I have submitted my post, and it fails to display!

• emaz anwar emaz anwar
    ✭✭  /  edited June 16
    I feel sorry about that, brother! But there's nothing I can do... :(
    ✭✭  / 

Emaz Anwar,

This is obviously through no fault of your own, so there is no need for apologies. 

Obviously the construction behind this website leaves a lot to be desired.  I can say, quite honestly, that I have never experienced such a consistent malfunction (on a forum) ever before.

Paul

• emaz anwar emaz anwar
    ✭✭  /  edited June 16
    Yes u r right, Paul! Our replies contain no sluggish words but still this forum refuses to post the reply... I'm also a member of Microsoft Community since 2015 and I have never faced such issue till date...
  • emaz anwar emaz anwar
    ✭✭  /  edited June 18
    Okay so this forum finally posted your reply! As u r saying that apps & notifications are two different options I consider that u r still on Android nougat while the steps I'm telling are for Android Oreo...
  • emaz anwar emaz anwar
    ✭✭  /  edited June 18
    Yeah so I just checked it out... For Android Nougat you can go to settings> apps> then select the app u want to disable, tap on three dots available at the top and tap uninstall updates and then click on disbale. By this way it's sure that the app u r disabling does not takes up unnecessary space...
    ✭✭  / 

Hi Emaz,

OK, thanks a lot mate.

I will check out your advice later on.

Many thanks.

✭✭  / 

Emaz,

This method seems to be working, thanks!

But sometimes it say "disabling/uninstalling app. may cause the handset to not function properly"?

Paul

• emaz anwar emaz anwar
    ✭✭  /  edited June 18
    Yes you will encounter such messages because u r disabling or uninstalling updates of built-in system app. Just ignore it and do what you want to do... ;)
    ✭✭  / 

Hi Emaz,

Thanks a lot.

Do I need to keep: Google Handwriting Input; Indic Keyboard; Pinyin Input; Zhuyin Input?

And : Google Play Services; Play Store?

Cheers.

• emaz anwar emaz anwar
    ✭✭  /  edited June 20

No you don't need to keep Google Handwriting Input; Indic Keyboard; Pinyin Input; Zhuyin Input. 

But do keep Google Play Services and Play Store. Google Play Services is required to run Google apps like Youtube etc. And without Play Store you cannot download new apps or update your old apps, so, you should keep it!

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions! :)

✭✭  / 

Thanks a lot Emaz,

I have gotten rid of the aforementioned, and left the others active.

I was also think of deleting: Keep, Launcher 3, Carrier Services, Factory Wizard, and Files.  What do you think, please?

Much appreciated,

Paul

• emaz anwar emaz anwar
    ✭✭  /  edited June 20
    Donot disable the laucher3. Because without laucher3 you will have no homescreen! Also Carrier Services and Factory Wizard plays an important role on an Android phone, so, leave it... And for the Keep and Files, it's your choice! If you don't use Keep to take notes and Files to use the file manager you can disable them. Donot take stress because if you want those apps back you can always enable them right from where you are disabling them... Feel free to ask if you need more assistance! :)
    ✭✭  / 

Thanks a lot Emaz,

I will follow your helpful advice here.

Can I remove GBoard, Support, and Device Policy also?

After these three there is nothing left to uninstall/disable!

I actually think my battery life has lasted a bit longer since making these changes.  Maybe by a couple of hours.

Cheers,

Paul

• emaz anwar emaz anwar
    ✭✭  /  edited June 21
    You can disable device policy and also the support app if you don't use it. But donot disbale the Gboard because you will not be able to write messages without it. Gboard is the keyboard of your phone which you use when chatting with someone.
    ✭✭  / 

Hi Emaz,

The battery life is definitely much longer now that I have disabled all of those pointless apps, thanks!

However, sometimes emails and text do not arrive/alert until I actually touch the phone, or open either email or text messages?

I am going to start a new thread this evening.

Thanks,

Paul

• emaz anwar emaz anwar
    ✭✭  / 

Ookay! See you there! :)