bring back glance screen

please bring back a built in glance screen!! just like old times on the LUMIA'S. the 6 has a screensaver but only works when charging.

bring back glance screen

fatboyz fatboyz
 /  edited August 11

please bring back a built in glance screen!! just like old times on the LUMIA'S. the 6 has a screensaver but only works when charging.

Comments

• user162 user162
     /  edited August 11
    Yes Glance screen is a nice feature, Please add this feature
  • DBS DBS
     /  edited April 26

As far as I know, the Nokia 8 already brings Glance Screen back. Although it apparently is nowhere near as useful or flexible as it was on the late Windows Phone OS.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭  /  edited August 11

Glance screen should definitely be standard on all new Nokias and should have at least the same functionality as the Lumias. It would be great to incorporate Sleeping Screen from Symbian :)

• debu debu
     /  edited August 11
    I have also same request.
  • user1520836539185 user1520836539185
     /  edited August 11
    Well Nokia 8 has it; but it's just a demo version of the old ones; in the wp version I was able to put full screen images at the background (Android version has some similar feature too but the picture that you can put it on is so small)
    But best version of glance screen was Symbian belle version; with the Nokia sleeping screen app which I believe we could have seen it more if Symbian wasn't abandoned users was able to costumize everything in the glance screen; clock style, notification animations, background images everything. It was even able to show battery situation with an artistic way; the circle around the rounded clock and the line between the digital clock was battery indicator.
    The always on screen that Android has also able to show these too but none of them has the same beautiful style
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭  /  edited August 11

Apparently the Nokia 8 Sirocco should have glance screen but not the 1, 6 2018 or 7plus, which is a shame. I've no idea how much detail is possible on the Sirocco glance screen.

• Shivansumaji Shivansumaji
     /  edited April 6
    Tu answer this, I think the main problem lies for not using glance screen is that HMD does not use AMOLED display in any phone other than Nokia 8 Sirocco. Unlike LCD, In AMOLED display's, each individual pixel could be turned off if it's not being used i.e, only that part of the screen is alive which is displaying colours, parts showing black are literally turned off. This makes glance screen possible because in LCD's the whole screen had to be turned on and be running on backlit even if a tiny portion of the screen is displaying colours and others are black. Thus, Glance Screen on those LCD phones will be literally like keeping the screen on all the time.
    The thing to ask for first is compulsory use of AMOLED display in every phone.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 6
    You're right, this point had been made before in another thread. I don't understand why AMOLED isn't more popular and used on more phones by HMD.
  • mobileCR mobileCR
    ✭✭  /  edited April 6

to incorporate that feature AMOLED (OLED-POLED) screens are neeeded, please HMD start using more and more that display technology in high end phones. Nokia 8 sirocco is a step in the right direction

• Slinky Trips Slinky Trips
     /  edited June 22

Actually there is even more to it than just an OLED panel. Older units like the Nokia N9 which had the always on glance screen actually used a separate controller for just that purpose. On standard display mode it would refresh at 60hz, when on the glance screen it is able to refresh the panel at a much slower speed helping to save the energy of the graphics processing.

As for using OLED on all their phones, the Sirocco panel is nice but it does have some blue colour shifting when you tilt the screen so the OLED is not quite perfect yet.

• Shivansumaji Shivansumaji
     / 
    Slinky Tips, thanks for that impressive piece of information. But tbh, I spent some time with the not-always-on Glance Screen of Nokia 7 Plus and tbh, I doesn't really suck as much as I expected.
    IPS panels have many pros like sharper viewing angles and plus its cheap to manufacture and repair. I didn't think I'd say this but yeah... A good IPS LED is as good as AMOLED if not better.