Barcelona felt like home for me...visiting HMD global, Nokia and MWC'19

Hi! I was one of the lucky ones who got the chance to travel Barcelona to meet HDM Global team via Barcelona 48hours contest.

Barcelona felt like home for me...visiting HMD global, Nokia and MWC'19

TommiS TommiS
✭✭✭  / 
Hi!

I was one of the lucky ones who got the chance to travel Barcelona to meet HDM Global team via Barcelona 48hours contest. I have never stumbled in a luck like this so it felt amazing!

Utopia 126 - Unveil of the new mobile devices

Visiting Utopia 126 was once in a lifetime experience, sitting next to Pekka Rantala in front row When Juho Sarvekas presents the new line up was so exciting. You would thought that fan's would be standing somewhere at the back wall of the room but no! Front row! These are the things that makes a difference. As everybody allready knows what happened there i will just share my personal opinions and thoughts about the visit. I'am the kind of guy who uses his mobile devices till the point it's useless/broken. I don't buy a new phone for fun. I'am not a journalist, social media producer, vlogger or blogger. I'am just a regular customer.

Nokia has a long history in Finland where i come from. I loved the nice little finnish touches everywhere i looked in the Unveil as well as MWC. I saw finnish drinks, candy, furniture, artwork...everything! That's shows me that Nokia does't forget where it comes from and that's a big thing for me. Evening after unveil was full of good talks, great food, beverage and fun time. 

Mobile World Congress '19

8 ridiculously big hall's full of technology for different needs. So many new mobile devices. 5G phones, foldables, robots, all kind of things i didn't even know that exists. And yet the thing i will remember the most was this morning chat with Pekka Rantala and the other invited fans in the HMD village built outside. It really felt like home there.

Nokia was a big brand years ago and as in life there are ups and downs. And all i have seen and heard now i feel like Nokia brand is in the very beginning of the new rise. Nokia today with HMD are so small compared to biggest players in the market. I just love the way they handle things in marketing. There are no superstars advertising, they don't build huge demo houses in center of Barcelona, there are no 8-floor tall wall papers in the city center or anything like that. 

I always like people who has passion for something. I think that is a sign for something greater. Nokia brand could have easily been abandoned back when Nokia mobiles were sold to Microsoft but NO! I'am glad there are passionate people who don't give up. 

Have to mention one more thing. I love photography with mobile devices and DSLR cameras. Nokia 9 Pureview has been on my watchlist for next phone for months. I was able to be a part of conversation with Oliver, a guy from ZEISS who knows...well everything about lenses and photography. And even that i'am not a professional.  He was tryly able to explain the tech behind the lens setup so that i understood that there is something new going on. I guess that was the point when i decided my what will be my next phone :)

Thank you for everything HMD Global and Nokia Mobile. I love when people makes phones for people <3 
I remember years and years ago a teacher asked me, Tommi what will you do when you grow up ?
My answer was that i will work in Nokia office with a seaview in Helsinki...that never happened but this was pretty close...

Thank you Maria, Michelle, Radu, Will, Francesco, Edoardo and all the other lovely people I met and who made all this possible.
I will never forget!

Pssst...i spend few extra days in Barcelona on my own as it was my winter holiday week from work. Here are few photos! Barcelona <3

Thank you, Kiitos, Gracias !

Comments

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @TommiS great writing! It was great to spend those days with you and the rest of our group, with HMD at their event and at MWC. An amazing experience which you put into words so eloquently.

And great photos! If you compare yours and mine you can see that your "old" unfortunately-branded phone is still a great camera phone. I need to see the comparison photos with the 9 PureView!

Cheers :smiley:
  • TommiS TommiS
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @madbilly Thanks! It was a pleasure to meet you too. I can't wait to put 9 PureView to everyday use :)

I wonder what is all the talk with 9 being limited edition ? I can't remember hearing about that at the unveil or MWC ?
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 2019
    I agree @TommiS I don't remember anything being said about limited edition, limited production run or anything like that. Maybe it was in an official press release.
  • Hi everyone, I'm back home too and I wanted to share with you this little essay written on an Italian blog:

https://www.nokioteca.net/blog/2019/02/levento-di-hmd-global-al-mwc19-raccontato-da-francesco-bacchini-con-utili-info-su-nokia-9/amp/

I've recently started a collaboration with them and I hope to bring more content in the future. 

Dear HMD Global social team, I'm writing this little essay about my experience in Barcelona because I think it is crucial to spend some words on how great it was.
    I'm going to start with a quote: < The key is not spending time, but in investing it >. This is just for saying that this trip was like a sudden lightning in a dark blue sky, something that you don't expect and hardly breaks into your daily routine, unfortunately often too boring and lacking of real emotions. I must also confess that I am “maximizer" in life, with an extreme attention to details and pre-scheduled days. This behaviour usually leads to high expectations in things of life, but - as they can't be perfect - it automatically turns into disappointment when they don't go as well as expected. With this trip it was the opposite: I had very low expectations due to the fact that it was a gift, given to me all of a sudden. It was only a two-days trip and I was conscious that I would have never been able to visit the city entirely or have a true local experience; so I decided to take it easily, leaving the obsession for perfection at home. Not knowing anything about the congress, the event or the staff in general brought me to continuous surprises, step by step, during the trip.
    I've been stunned about how smart was the idea of reusing an old industrial location for the event, with a completely different purpose. At the same time has been very inspiring too that the HMD houses were placed in an external area, making them look informal and as a creative space. All of this clearly shows that the company has an unique personality with very distinctive and noble ideas that also other brands should follow, instead of adapting to the masses requests.
    Talking about the new phones, I'd like to say that I have been very thrilled to try the new Nokia 9 as it is a phone intended for professional photographers or just enthusiasts, which I am. On the other hand, introducing Nokia 3.2 and 4.2 was a good move not only for cheap markets, but also for people who don't want to spend too much and still have a good device for multimedia or stay "connected with people".
    I know these words are not enough to thank you for the astonishing treatment that you reserved to me, but I hope that you enjoyed it reading anyway. I'll promise that I'll do my best to honour the brand and will continue posting pictures on my social media with the tag #nokia, as I think this may help creating a better vision of the brand. As I have already told Edoardo and Pekka during the meeting, unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there not aware yet that Nokia is back. Here's just a funny story from the trip in Barcelona: I was in an Indian mini-market trying to buy toothpaste (the one provided by the hotel was not enough) and had my Nokia badge around my neck. The vendor, after seeing it, asked me if Nokia had presented new phones, and when I explained about the new models he claimed that he remembered the brand mostly for the old cellular-phones that were everywhere, but not for the most recent devices. He also joked about the roughness and good signal strength of those models. I know this may sound stupid or odd, but advertising on old unique features may not be a bad idea to convince old customers in giving us “once more try”.
    I hope I will be having the chance to meet you guys once again in the future and I wish you all the best for the rest of MWC 2019 in Barcelona.

Regards
    Francesco
  • user1513791683644 user1513791683644
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Looks like a **** of a trip, I can't wait to see what Nokia 9 Pureview can actually do.
  • neng neng
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @TommiS, wow beautifully captured photos  even without Nokia 9 PureView  :D 
    It seems that you have got a wonderful experience in MWC this year and it will surely be unforgettable for years to come. 
    Have a good day mate !  :)
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @Francesco Bacchini very nicely written :) It was a pleasure to share that time in Barcelona with you, your enthusiasm for the new Nokias was clear to see.
  • TommiS TommiS
    ✭✭✭  / 
    neng said:
    It seems that you have got a wonderful experience in MWC this year and it will surely be unforgettable for years to come. 
    Thank you, it was unforgettable trip indeed. 

@Francesco Bacchini It was great to meet you and keep up the good work with mobile photography. I was just browsing ShotOnNokia Instagram account and pictures with #shotonnokia hashtag. There are beautiful photography huh...  

I have very similar feeling about people not knowing that Nokia is back.

But that is one thing where we can help. Social media is so powerful nowadays that with quality content we can raise awareness of the brand. I will definately put more effort for it but first i have to get the right gear for doing it.  o:)

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Me too! o:)
    :D
  • The
  • madbilly said:
    @TommiS great writing! It was great to spend those days with you and the rest of our group, with HMD at their event and at MWC. An amazing experience which you put into words so eloquently.

And great photos! If you compare yours and mine you can see that your "old" unfortunately-branded phone is still a great camera phone. I need to see the comparison photos with the 9 PureView!

very good
  • wow
  • TommiS TommiS
    ✭✭✭  / 
    neng said:
    Thank you, it was unforgettable trip indeed. 

@Francesco Bacchini It was great to meet you and keep up the good work with mobile photography. I was just browsing ShotOnNokia Instagram account and pictures with #shotonnokia hashtag. There are beautiful photography huh...  

I have very similar feeling about people not knowing that Nokia is back.

But that is one thing where we can help. Social media is so powerful nowadays that with quality content we can raise awareness of the brand. I will definately put more effort for it but first i have to get the right gear for doing it.  o:)

• ThomasCurran ThomasCurran
    ✭✭  / 

You need to edit it for errors. There are many errors both punctuation and spelling.

You can do it on https://writemyessaysonline.com