Please Read: Clock Speed of SD660 of Nokia 7 Plus

Recently, Xiaomi in their launch event claimed that most of the brands offer a LITE VERSION OF SNAPDRAGON 660 PROCESSOR and only they have launched it at its ACTUAL CLOCK SPEED of 2.2GHz.

Please Read: Clock Speed of SD660 of Nokia 7 Plus

praveenp praveenp
✭✭✭✭  / 
Recently, Xiaomi in their launch event claimed that most of the brands offer a LITE VERSION OF SNAPDRAGON 660 PROCESSOR and only they have launched it at its ACTUAL CLOCK SPEED of 2.2GHz.
This made me curious about my own Nokia 7 Plus that is powered with SD660.
I checked out the official specifications on Nokia's website and found that Nokia hasn't mentioned the clock speed of the processor that they have used (https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/nokia-7-plus/#hardware-highlights)

Can anyone from Nokia tell the ACTUAL CLOCK SPEED of SD660 used in Nokia 7 Plus. 
I think as a user, we all have the right to know the real specifications of our phone as we have spent a hefty amount on it even when the same processor is available at almost half priced phones.

I have a doubt that Nokia is hiding some thing from the consumers... Because when I checked out Nokia 8 Sirocco specifications, I found all the relevant details of the clock speed of the SD835 Processor that they have used (https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/nokia-8-sirocco#full-specifications)

I need to know the truth behind hiding the details of these specifications.

Comments

• Muser Muser
    ✭✭✭  /  edited March 2019
    The Snapdragon 660 only has one variant with a supported clock speed of 1.95 to 2.2 GHz so I don't know what Xiaomi is talking about.

There are apps like CPU-Z or AIDA64 that do real time CPU measurement and will report the actual clock speed, try those?
  • planetoidx planetoidx
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @praveenp

I believe that majority of Nokia smartphones are underclocked and they might have a good reason for it. 

Most of the Xiaomi smartphones like Redmi Note 5, Note 5 Pro, Note 6 Pro..etc have nearly 4000mAh battery capacity. So they have no problem in setting the actual clock speed. 

But most of the Nokia phones have only about 3000mAh battery capacity. So a bit under clocking means longer battery health and life. But recent Pie update is really damaging this. Battery is not lasting as long as they should be.

If you want there are methods to overclock a chipset. But I don't have a good knowledge about it, so Google it for more info.

• nitinkachare nitinkachare
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @praveenp

I believe that majority of Nokia smartphones are underclocked and they might have a good reason for it. 

Most of the Xiaomi smartphones like Redmi Note 5, Note 5 Pro, Note 6 Pro..etc have nearly 4000mAh battery capacity. So they have no problem in setting the actual clock speed. 

But most of the Nokia phones have only about 3000mAh battery capacity. So a bit under clocking means longer battery health and life. But recent Pie update is really damaging this. Battery is not lasting as long as they should be.

If you want there are methods to overclock a chipset. But I don't have a good knowledge about it, so Google it for more info.

No.Nokia 6.1 running on Snapdragon 630 with 2.2Ghz Clock Speed.Nokia 8.1 running on Snapdragon 710 with 2.2Ghz Clock Speed.
    Rest i.e.Nokia 6.1Plus and Nokia 5.1Plus(India) are running on 1.8Ghz Clock Speed.
  • praveenp praveenp
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @praveenp

That might be the reason and I want to know about it from Nokia itself as Xiaomi has made a serious allegation on all the brands... BTW Nokia 7 Plus too has 3800mAh battery...

The question is, why Nokia 8 Sirocco has the details about clock speeds of its cores in its specifications, but Nokia 7 Plus doesn't have...
    That raises a question about why Nokia is hiding such information for all its devices, and not just the 7 Plus... 
  • praveenp praveenp
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @praveenp

No.Nokia 6.1 running on Snapdragon 630 with 2.2Ghz Clock Speed.Nokia 8.1 running on Snapdragon 710 with 2.2Ghz Clock Speed.
    Rest i.e.Nokia 6.1Plus and Nokia 5.1Plus(India) are running on 1.8Ghz Clock Speed.
    Exactly... That is what I am seeking for.... They have mentioned the clock speeds for only some phones, but for other high end phones like 7 Plus, it is missing, which somehow raises a doubt that was Xiaomi's claim right, as in some video by a tech reviewer, I came to know that brands may use the processor, but tend to keep it under-clocked. 
    Nokia 7 Plus also has a similar case. After spending Rs.26000, I think as a consumer, I have a right to know that what things have been used in my smartphone for which I had paid a huge amount.
    BTW... From where did you got the info about 8.1? There is nothing mentioned on official website.
  • Muser Muser
    ✭✭✭  /  edited March 2019
    praveenp said:
    Nokia 7 Plus also has a similar case. After spending Rs.26000, I think as a consumer, I have a right to know that what things have been used in my smartphone for which I had paid a huge amount.

See my post above, it's better to check and verify yourself than to rely on marketing materials from HMD, Xiaomi, etc. I assume you're referring to the Redmi Note 7 so here are two benchmarks using the same version of Geekbench.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/compare/12251521?baseline=12252513

Also keep in mind that you're not paying for just the SOC but all the components, materials, support, etc that go into a phone.
  • nitinkachare nitinkachare
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 2019
    praveenp said:
    @praveenp

Exactly... That is what I am seeking for.... They have mentioned the clock speeds for only some phones, but for other high end phones like 7 Plus, it is missing, which somehow raises a doubt that was Xiaomi's claim right, as in some video by a tech reviewer, I came to know that brands may use the processor, but tend to keep it under-clocked. 
    BTW... From where did you got the info about 8.1? There is nothing mentioned on official website.
    Download geekbench and Aututu they will show you your information and score of cpu,gpu,ui,etc
    Or Simply Download Aida64 or Devcheck application which show you configuration of your device(99% Correct).

as far as i know Nokia 7Plus is running on
    4*2.2Ghz and 4*1.8Ghz Core because its launch early so price is high.Only Asus Zenfone Max Pro M2,RealMe 2Pro and Oppo K1 has lower clock speed i.e.1.95Ghz variants of SD660.
    Xiaomi telling about that case now why because they are launching same sd660 at 10k(Processor Prices are low now) which is used in Mi A2 launching at 17k last year where other brand launch lite varient of sd660 below price of Mi A2 to beat sd636 at that time.They got lots of competition from Asus and RealMe On Processor i.e.SD636 and SD660.So they teasing other brand for that but reality is flipkart shows clock speed on specifications so user get idea of clock speed.