New Photo Blog to go Live (end of March) - Page 2

Nice photos! Could you share the exif data, please. this is a photo blog after all  ;)

New Photo Blog to go Live (end of March)

Comments

• vviskari vviskari
    ✭✭  / 
    Nice photos! Could you share the exif data, please. this is a photo blog after all  ;)
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  /  edited May 30
    Hi @vviskari!

Thanks very much - it's a lot of fun taking and sharing them!

That's a really helpful suggestion for me - which, in turn, could be helpful for others who like to dabble with manual settings.

I appreciate the nudge about exif data. I never thought about that!

To be honest, I think of all the photos, I only once (twice?) used manual settings when snapping them. I've tended to rely on Adobe Lightroom for developing/fine tuning after the fact.

I had a quick look on my PC, and I've only saved the originals from the most recent post (5.4). I will add/update the exif data on the blog, and will make a point to include that in future posts :smile:
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @Pitkänen nice selfie at the end!
    Some of those photos looked surprisingly unfocussed, or I couldn't tell where the focus point was. Also, they weren't as sharp as I'd expected. Have HMD tuned down the sharpening in the algorithm or did you shoot raw and use LR?
    Cheers :)
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  /  edited June 10
    Hi @madbilly,
    I think you have a point there!
    I was a bit curious about that, too. I think it could be a combination of a few things:
    After a few shots, I was being stalked by two security guards, so I didn't tap the display to narrow down a focal point as I normally would do. Many of them were very quick point and shoot 'covert' photos, so maybe a bit of blur can be attributed to that (good eye! :smile: )
    Yes, those were RAW photos edited in LR afterward. It was around 6:45am, and the area had some pretty poor lighting at the time. I think the shots could have been better had one or a combination of those things been different. The shots of the building that were showed in sunlight fared much better than a lot of the others.
    If HMD have changed anything related to the camera APP, my phone is still running on the April security patch, so no newer updates have been installed as of yet.
    What I'm thinking of doing for my next round it's including a comparison between the (slightly) RAW files and the out-of-the-oven .jpegs. We're going on a little hiking excursion in the mountains tomorrow. Should be some nice ones!
    Re: the selfie - I think I was able to avoid most of the **** recognition triggers, yeah? lol
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I appear to be running the 'latest' update. Not sure if any more are pending...

• Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Senses 6.2
    This week's photo reel includes RAW edited pics first, and unedited JPEGs below for comparison.
    Twice the photos (and twice the ADMIN lol)
    My favourite batch thus far - likely since being away from the city is my favourite place to be :)
    https://5s5l.blogspot.com/2019/06/senses-62.html

• ClausG76 ClausG76
    ✭✭  / 
    Pitkänen said:
    Senses 5.1 (Monochrome)

Technically, only 3 lenses (Shhhh!) 😉 https://5s5l.blogspot.com/2019/05/51-monochrome.html
     All comments/feedback/questions welcome! :smile:
    I really like your pictures. Are you sure that the phone is using 3 lenses in monochrome mode? Somebody told me on another forum, that it only uses one lens for monochrome pictures. 
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  /  edited June 11
    Hi @ClausG76
    Thanks for your kind words! I've really fallen in love with photography - all over again.  I've still got lots to learn, though.
    About your comment on B&W photos:
    For fun, I just took a quick photo in monochrome mode. After the fact, the 9PV produced two images; a JPEG which is 4.8MB and a RAW photo which is 26MB.
    If the device 'isn't' using 3 lenses to produce the larger file, I'm kinda confused as to why this happens?
    If I can find a definitive review which confirms that only one lens is used, I'd be more than happy to make that clear in future posts. 
    I appreciate the connection. I'm always open to learning something new :smile:

• ClausG76 ClausG76
    ✭✭  / 
    Thanks makes good sense
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  /  edited June 12
    @ClausG76
    In the interest of "science" (?), I tried a little experiment this morning. 
    I located online which sensors were monochrome. I tried 3 separate photos; each time blocking 2 of the lenses. 
    Each time, I could see a black and white live preview before taking the photo, but when I went to the gallery, all that appeared was a black screen. 
    This simple experiment would still have me leaning more to the argument that three lenses are being used in monochrome mode 👍
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Here ya go @madbilly
    A bit of tennis action from this morning :grin:

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @Pitkänen, nice swing! :smiley:
    What about action photos? Yes I know, they are a lot harder to do unless you have someone else to take the photos.
    In your last photo set you appear to have enhanced the colours, especially the green, in the RAW edited in LR ones. Or, is the fact that the JPGs are slightly duller because of the sharpening effect which can tend to cause a white haze or speckle sometimes? The trees in the valley are a very obvious case where the colour is different.
    And sharpening in the JPGs is obvious - personally I prefer the RAWs, which although flatter are sharp enough in most cases.
    Cheers :)
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  /  edited June 24
    @madbilly Thanks 😜
    I, too, prefer the RAWs. Apart from dehazing, I now use a few other little tweaks on LR and I'm quite pleased with the results! The greens, as you mentioned, came more to life just by slightly increasing I the vibrance.
    The live action photos: Only option would be to hand the phone to a stranger while rallying with my partner - and in this country, that ain't ever happening hahaha
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Nice sunset and use of depth of field on the other photos (is that the correct term?). :)
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  /  edited June 25
    @madbilly Thanks! I'm not sure whether or not depth/blur would be as noticeable for RAW pics if mode is deactivated? It seems that getting close enough to certain objects automatically blurs the rest. I may need to experiment a bit with that. With the jpegs, the blur can be adjusted and refocused, but with the RAWs, they seem to be fixed. 
    The sun photo was taken at around 6:45am. Regardless, I am glad you enjoyed it :smile:
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  /  edited July 1
    Hi Everyone,

I want to say, first and foremost, thank you all for your friendship here at this forum.
    I've decided to step away from here, although the photo blog will still continue.
    This will be my final login, so if there are any replies, I won't see them - sorry about that.
    Feel free to leave a comment on the blog if you feel inclined to get in touch in the future, and do enjoy the next bunch of photos in the weeks and months ahead!
    Wishing you happy days; happy lives :smile:
    Here's one more for the road:

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    See you back here at home point I'm sure @Pitkänen ;)
    Cheers :smiley:
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Ouch! Sorry to hear the news @Pitkänen :(
  • petrus petrus
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @Pitkänen  
    Thank you for publishing beautiful photos.  :)