Pre-Booked the Pre-Booking (HK) Huh?

Never a dull day... Got a message from the shop that helped me pre-book the Nokia 9 in Hong Kong.

Pre-Booked the Pre-Booking (HK) Huh?

Dailylife Dailylife
✭✭✭  /  edited March 2019
Never a dull day...

Got a message from the shop that helped me pre-book the Nokia 9 in Hong Kong.

The guy said that the phone will be available around April 1 and not March 20. He claimed that his staff may have given me false information, or that things were lost in translation when the latter date was mentioned.

So I clarified with him: "I have, essentially, paid you for a device that you cannot pre-book yet?"

He replied: "You have pre-booked the pre-booking."

Me: "What does that mean?" Seller: "It's ok. Your money is safe!" Me: "What will you do now?"

Seller: "We wait for pre-booking, March 20. Then, we pre-book and wait. When we get the phone, we send to you directly."

Only one picture can sum up this whole day:

Yup.
But it's ok. My money's safe. :lol::lol::lol:
Bless him.

Comments

• Dailylife Dailylife
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I tried to get upset about it, but it's just too damn funny! :smiley:
  • N808 N808
    ✭✭  / 
    Given the image, if you are Jackie Chan your money is safe!
  • Dailylife Dailylife
    ✭✭✭  /  edited March 2019
    N808 said:
    Given the image, if you are Jackie Chan your money is safe!
    Wa-taaaaaa! :lol:

• Dailylife Dailylife
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Always be nice to the repairman.
  • N808 N808
    ✭✭  / 
    And the 'baddies' never once reloaded.
  • Dailylife Dailylife
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @N808 I like your attention to detail 👍
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hmmm, very disappointing, but may be not a surprise. If I were you I would demand my money back now and keep it until you know for certain when the device will be launched in HK - maybe you will even get a discount/bundled accessory or something like they are doing in the USA and Europe.

I bought my second N8 from HK via Ebay (I didn't realise it was HK at the time, it was advertised as a UK phone from a UK company). I deeply regretted not buying it from an official UK distributor due to the problems I had after I got it.
  • Dailylife Dailylife
    ✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Hmmm, very disappointing, but may be not a surprise. If I were you I would demand my money back now and keep it until you know for certain when the device will be launched in HK - maybe you will even get a discount/bundled accessory or something like they are doing in the USA and Europe.

I bought my second N8 from HK via Ebay (I didn't realise it was HK at the time, it was advertised as a UK phone from a UK company). I deeply regretted not buying it from an official UK distributor due to the problems I had after I got it.
    There's another shop, Expansys, that I got in touch with, and they mentioned that they cannot ship that device across the border. They didn't specify whether it was 'only' that device, or... Funny though, that they will send it to anywhere else in the world. They have the phone up on their site, but no price or release date is listed yet. https://www.expansys.com.hk/nokia-9-pureview-dual-sim-midnight-blue-315919/

After work tonight, I sent the seller a message asking him whether he would be able to send me some kind of visual confirmation that his pre-booking would be successful, and he hasn't replied yet. It's 'possible' that he is using Expansys HK to pre-book, or other such shops. I'm not sure.

Perhaps getting my money back would be the best bet. I used the taobao eCommerce platform which holds onto funds between purchaser and seller until the order is complete. If I submit for a refund, it would be put back into my account within 3 days - whether or not the seller is in agreement with my decision. I may try that and then expand my scope once the 20th rolls around. If we started out with some miscommunication or whatever it was, there's a good chance that there may be others if I continue this deal with him.

Thanks for the suggestion @madbilly. That's some pretty sound advice.

When you mention N8, do you mean the Nokia 8 or the Nokia N8? I've seen people using 'N7' relating to the current Nokia 7 phones, so I'm not sure which one you're talking about :smile:

They could have been 'loosely' telling the truth about Hong Kong in relation to the UK depending on their political affiliation :wink: What issues did you have with it?

• Dailylife Dailylife
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @madbilly I've tried replying (a bit lengthy) twice, but they have both been suspended in limbo? Waiting approval, or something...
  • Dailylife Dailylife
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I copied it. I'll try a 3rd time w/o using quoted text:

There's another shop, Expansys, that I got in touch with, and they mentioned that they cannot ship that device across the border. They didn't specify whether it was 'only' that device, or... Funny though, that they will send it to anywhere else in the world. They have the phone up on their site, but no price or release date is listed yet. https://www.expansys.com.hk/nokia-9-pureview-dual-sim-midnight-blue-315919/

After work tonight, I sent the seller a message asking him whether he would be able to send me some kind of visual confirmation that his pre-booking would be successful, and he hasn't replied yet. It's 'possible' that he is using Expansys HK to pre-book, or other such shops. I'm not sure.

Perhaps getting my money back would be the best bet. I used the taobao eCommerce platform which holds onto funds between purchaser and seller until the order is complete. If I submit for a refund, it would be put back into my account within 3 days - whether or not the seller is in agreement with my decision. I may try that and then expand my scope once the 20th rolls around. If we started out with some miscommunication or whatever it was, there's a good chance that there may be others if I continue this deal with him.

When you mention N8, do you mean the Nokia 8 or the Nokia N8? I've seen people using 'N7' relating to the current Nokia 7 phones, so I'm not sure which one you're talking about :smile:

They could have been 'loosely' telling the truth about Hong Kong in relation to the UK depending on their political affiliation :wink: What issues did you have with it?
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I mean the N8 from 2010. People often refer to the current phones as N8, N7, etc, but it's shorthand, not the actual name.

The issues I had were that the package did not have all accessories, it had HK firmware and I basically had no warranty in the UK.

If you're in China then there will be a China specific version, the TA-1094. It will have the China ROM, not Android One, which you may or may not prefer. I've no idea when this version will be available though.

Expansys are a reputable company, they're been distributing Nokias for decades, so if they won't ship across border then it's because it's not permitted, not for any other reason.

I think you mentioned that you're in Shenzhen, so you could have a shopping trip to HK when it becomes available? ;)
  • Dailylife Dailylife
    ✭✭✭  / 
    That must have been frustrating with the HK firmware. You'd probably not suggest for me to surf on eBay for the Nokia 9.

I'm going to put the refund through tonight before I hit the hay, and try waiting a little closer to the date of sale as you've suggested. There will likely be much better options that will come about with time.

I wish I were in Shenzhen. I'm practically in the middle of the country, not far from Huashan (Mount Hua).

I'll try my best not to get the TA-1094. The conditions and temptation will surely test my resolve :lol:
  • Dailylife Dailylife
    ✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    And there's the first post you tried!
  • Dailylife Dailylife
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Aye caramba, indeed.

• Dailylife Dailylife
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Cognitive Dissonance begins to set in.....

Refund for the previous order - processing (+/- 2 days until the funds are back in my account)

Move ahead to today, another shop (that I have been pestering) contacted me to tell me that they would be able to send me the HK variant as of March 20th and I could pay 4998.00 CNY ($636 USD) to secure the deal.

I'm thinking about it LOL

But, on one condition. If they cannot provide photographic evidence that they have shipped the phone on March 20th, it's time for yet another refund.

Let's see! open_mouth