Poor microphone on speakerphone?

I've seen quite a few posts about the poor and low quality of the speakerphone.  I agree, when on speakerphone, which I use all the time for business calls as I work from home, I have to turn the volume up to the max just to adequately hear the other person.  But even worse than the speakerphone volume is the microphone.

Poor microphone on speakerphone?

user1528904812111 user1528904812111
✭✭  / 

I've seen quite a few posts about the poor and low quality of the speakerphone.  I agree, when on speakerphone, which I use all the time for business calls as I work from home, I have to turn the volume up to the max just to adequately hear the other person.  But even worse than the speakerphone volume is the microphone. Unless the phone is about 6 inches from my face, then I get complaints that I cannot be heard.  Today I was driving so had to have the phone docked on the dashboard--I was shouting to the other person and they kept telling me they couldn't hear me. 

Did I get a dud?  Or is this yet another common issue with the 6.1?  Can it be fixed with software?  Or is it hardware?