What happened to the 4 and 4.1?

Obvious question. In Barcelona I asked why it was called the 4.2 and not the 4 and was told it relates to the generation of HMD devices which it is in.

What happened to the 4 and 4.1?

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 2019
Obvious question.

In Barcelona I asked why it was called the 4.2 and not the 4 and was told it relates to the generation of HMD devices which it is in. For example, 2019 is the third year of HMD devices so these phones have the .2 suffix; the 2017 was the devices without a .x suffix, 2018 had devices with .1, etc. ...

Except that this doesn't make sense. There were several devices launched in the "2nd generation" without .1 on the end of their name, and in Barcelona there was also the 9 (not 9.2) and the 1 plus (not 1.2 plus, but sometimes written as 1.1 plus! - even in HMD's own presentation pictures - check the livestream recording).

Why am I explaining this? Because I just want to point out (again) that HMD's naming scheme doesn't make sense in any logical way. It might make sense in a marketing way, and I'll have to assume that it does otherwise I really will go mad.

So the answer is that nothing happened to the 4 and 4.1, they never existed.

The only other explanation I can think of for the choice of name 4.2 is as homage to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy's ultimate answer of 42 :)

So, "don't panic", the name makes sense ;)

Cheers :D

Comments

• TomPL TomPL
    ✭✭  /  edited March 2019
    In my opinion, they call this 4.2, in order to maintain compliance with 3.2, such a psychological effect that it is a new current line ;)

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Yes I think you're right, but that doesn't really make sense when they launched the 9 PureView (not 9.2) and 1 plus (not 1.2 plus, but sometimes called 1.1 plus!) at the same time.
  • TomPL TomPL
    ✭✭  / 
    Yeah, nobody knows for shure about twisted thoughts in their heads ;)
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I'm more confused if the 4x series was really needed. Is there really something which won't fit the 2, 3, & 5? The device is a good one. But maybe doesn't need a series which never happened before 😁
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited April 2019
    I think it's a sign that HMD really are trying to make an attractive phone for every price-point. I think the 4-series means the 1, 2 and 3 will move slightly lower in price and/or the 5 and higher will move slightly higher in price. However, since not all phones are released at the same time I think there's some natural overlap in pricing of some series, because after 6 months many models are available at a substantial discount; HMD then release a new model with a different name (either a plus model or a different number) to fill the gap, provide another option to consumers whilst managing to avoid any questions about the new model being a successor to any other one. HMD explained this overtly for the 8.1, which they said is a successor to the 7+; I suspect they have done similarly for many other models.

However, given that FIH think HMD don't sell enough volume of any individual model to get economies of scale for the ODM, maybe HMD will be forced by FIH and any future ODM to have fewer models with greater economy of scale... but this still depends on them selling enough, the problem of which might be why HMD introduce so many models in the first place :/
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    That does make sense to me though. Make more of one model, sell it. Then discontinue it and make more of a new model. There's no point making a phone and selling it for multiple years after cutting their prices.
    That's what Xiaomi does now, that's what OnePlus does. That's what Chinese do. And Chinese now are really good at what they are doing. Young minds in most of them are managing things very well.

Nokia phones at some point are competing with each other only. For example choosing between the 5.1 or 3.1 Plus or the 5.1 Plus is competing with 3 of Nokia's own phones and none of them are actually super old. The 5.1 Plus is available for cheaper than the 3.1 Plus. Limited number of phones will be easier for them to manufacture and maintain.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    You're totally right about Nokia phones competing with each other! Maybe HMD just think this is providing the consumer with multiple options are the same price point, or more importantly providing retailers and network operators multiple ways to make more money! HMD's most important customers in terms of revenue are probably the retailers and operators, not the end consumer, unfortunately.

A very good example of Nokia phones competing with each other is the Nokia 8, which is now available for less than €200 in some places in Europe.
  • Lawss Lawss
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Too many series, too many phones, commitments to the monthly security updates is zero, today is the 28th of April and Nokia 7.1, Nokia 6.1 Plus, Nokia 6.1 and Nokia 6 are running March Security updates. HMD's strategy is changing I believe.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @Lawss I agree, it seems like the update strategy is changing, but with zero explanation to the community. This is very poor community engagement.