Android Auto

What's everyone's experience using Android Auto on the 8?

Android Auto

Duncanj Duncanj
✭✭  / 
What's everyone's experience using Android Auto on the 8?

I had it working fine last year but since the Pie update and recent security patches the head unit in the car seems to take for ever to realise that the phone is connected and mirror Android Auto. 

Connects immediately to my son's 7.1 running Android One.

Comments

• Lenny Lenny
    ✭✭  / 
    Not working for me on a 2019 Volvo XC60 Sensus with Nokia 8. I plug in and Android Auto launches only on the phone.  The car shows Android Auto is greyed out.  Spent over an hour trying to get it to work. Tried different and new USB C cables, still nothing.  
  • Lenny Lenny
    ✭✭  / 
    SOLVED: The problem was Android Pie on Nokia 8. In desperation, I downgraded my Nokia 8 back to Android to Oreo. Voila - Android Auto immediately worked flawlessly on the 2019 Volvo XC-60. The firmware downgrade process to Oreo, however, was painful and is described in XDA forums (now phone keeps nagging to upgrade to Pie - turn off auto updates in Dev mode). Regarding Pie and AA on Noikia 8  - I spend too many hours trying every imaginable tip I could find on the web and could not get AA to work with Pie on the Volvo (new cables, dev settings, etc etc). 

Hope this helps someone else.  
  • I have exactly the same issue. 
    Android Auto on Sensus only works when after plugging in, you go to settings / network / hot-spot and tethering / tap USB-Tethering.

Do this every time you plug in 😥
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    My wifes Nokia 8 (running whatever is the latest version of Android 9 that HMD released) works fine with our car, just plug it in an away you go, no further actions required (2018 Kia Rio), i don't think it matters but the lead is an Amazon Basics 0.3m lead.
  • sualfons sualfons
    ✭✭  /  edited October 5
    Android Auto is *one thing* that actually works with my Nokia 8. It is the reason why I bought this phone after a Honor 9 did NOT work in the car. I have to plug in the Nokia 8 more than once every once in a while, though.
    Our car is a Opel Corsa with the medium head unit "Intellisync 4.0". I'm doing short term leasings on those and just got my 3rd nearly identical car - The Nokia 8 worked in all of them. The same head unit can be found in a lot of GM cars.
  • Malahide Malahide
     / 
    Hello, I have a Nokia 8, with android version 9. My car is a Hyaundai Electric. Android auto worked initially, but will not work anymore. I have changed cables without success. Android auto launches on the phone, but will not connect to the car screen, although present there but grayed out. If I can't resolve this I will buy another phone from a different manufacturer.
  • terminusaquo terminusaquo
    ✭✭✭  / 
    sualfons said:
    Android Auto is *one thing* that actually works with my Nokia 8. It is the reason why I bought this phone after a Honor 9 did NOT work in the car. I have to plug in the Nokia 8 more than once every once in a while, though.
    Our car is a Opel Corsa with the medium head unit "Intellisync 4.0". I'm doing short term leasings on those and just got my 3rd nearly identical car - The Nokia 8 worked in all of them. The same head unit can be found in a lot of GM cars.
    That's the same head unit I have in my Adam and my Nokia 6.1 works extremely well with it so I imagine my Nokia 8 would as well.