**ATTENTION** F i n g e r p r i n t F I X for NOKIA 9 PureView

From @neilk "I worked with Nokia support earlier today and after the suggestion to 
boot into safe mode I encountered no more fingerprint read failures.  I 
then started removing apps that had gotten installed as part of the 
restore process from my previous phone (Nexus 6p).  I eliminated apps I 
no longer required and I still am having a 100% success rate on 
fingerprint reads.  It unlocks on the first time for the past 8 hours.  
Hopefully, this continue in the future." This is terrific news!

**ATTENTION** F i n g e r p r i n t F I X for NOKIA 9 PureView

Pitkänen Pitkänen
✭✭✭  / 
From @neilk
"I worked with Nokia support earlier today and after the suggestion to boot into safe mode I encountered no more fingerprint read failures.  I then started removing apps that had gotten installed as part of the restore process from my previous phone (Nexus 6p).  I eliminated apps I no longer required and I still am having a 100% success rate on fingerprint reads.  It unlocks on the first time for the past 8 hours.  Hopefully, this continue in the future."

This is terrific news! Share this info with anyone you know who may happen to buy this device.

Comments

• I always set my phone up as new and don't restore from any backups. All the apps I have I need and use on a regular basis. Is there any other method to fix the read errors?
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I always set my phone up as new and don't restore from any backups. All the apps I have I need and use on a regular basis. Is there any other method to fix the read errors?
    Ugh. So, you're suffering with the fingerprint thing, too? :neutral:

I've wanted to buy the Nokia 9 for a while now, but it's just not available where I live yet - but, soon..

I'm going to spend some time trying different things and sharing here - if I end up with the same problem.
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I can only share what has worked for others until I get the device myself.

But I foresee having a lot to say about it when the time comes :smile:
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @neilk I hear ya!

I'd probably pass on the face unlock too. I guess the old quick  swipe up and PIN is safest until that more effective bug fix comes a knockin' 🔮
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  /  edited March 13
    @neilk, I've seen a lot of Android users talk about using Nova Launcher instead of the native user interface. Which one have you decided to go with on your new phone? Not really connected to the censor issue - just vicariously curious 🤠
  • neilk neilk
    ✭✭  / 
    Right now I'm just using the launcher that comes with the phone plus my apps (Starbucks, Weather Channel, etc).  I have disabled the fingerprint reader because I am concerned about cracking the glass and my finger was actually beginning to get sore from all the pressure required to get a successful read.
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @neilk  Gotcha! I've got about a week left before I can order my **** device.

I'm curious to see if they will have worked out some of those bugs for the Asian market..

If not, I may just get struck by one that some dude throws out the window of his BMW :lol: 

Yeah, give your fingers a rest, and git out there and take some awesome photos. Then, you can edit them with a nice cuppa coffee :smile:  Cheers, Bud!
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  /  edited March 13
    They censored 'b loody'? For reals?
    smh
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Pitkänen said:
    Not really connected to the censor issue - just vicariously curious 🤠
    SENSOR sp.
  • SimonL SimonL
    ✭✭  / 
    Whilst many people seem to be having problems with the fingerprint reader, I'm happy to report that it works (almost) perfectly for me. It definitely requires a firm press (although not so firm as to risk damaging the screen), but it works about 95% of the time for me.
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  /  edited March 13
  • > @Alex Sellers said:
    > I always set my phone up as new and don't restore from any backups. All the apps I have I need and use on a regular basis. Is there any other method to fix the read errors?

I also had trouble with my reader and chatted with support. They suggested to add the fingerprints while in Safe Mode. That didn't work for me, but may that will help someone else. What did seem to work for me was a suggestion from someone on reddit who suggested to move your finger around while registering the fingerprint. I'm continuing to monitor but that did seem to make a big difference for me.
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @Doug Perkins Occam's Razor - just get a wider fingerprint spectrum.
    It could be just that simple.
  • Hello. After registering is working ok? Or must to push strong to unlock the phone (like on few videos on the net)?
    My question is whether is a software problem? If not  it is very bad news.  ...
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Two guys here have already reported positive results. When I get mine, I'll update this thread. I intend to try a variety of methods and report which one has the best results. Let's do some Science! :smiley:
  • youhippy youhippy
    ✭✭  / 
    For some reason my left thumb print works all the time. The right, 50/50. I've deleted the right thumb and added it again, but it's still not as successful as the left. Face unlock works great. 
  • neilk neilk
    ✭✭  / 
    I am trying the suggestions from reddit too.  So far things are working pretty well with my only applying light to moderate pressure.  Time will tell if this continues to work beyond a day.
  • tired tired
     / 
    Sorry to say - camera crashes, major issues with finger sensor and still issues with Google assistant (probably more a Google issue then a Nokia one). And this happens with a so called flagship device that had several month delays.
    And the price in Germany is already going down.
    I'll give it back, stay with the Nokia 8 and wait for devices with such good camera from another vendor.
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  /  edited March 14
    @tired ...Patience (or you could send it to me in China? Do you accept Bitcoin?)
    It really sucks, though, that the phone isn't as good as you'd hoped. Sorry to hear that....

• Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @tired I can say, without reservation, that I am quite biased - so my opinions of the Nokia 9 will be far from objective when I receive mine.
    I hope that the company isn't banking on people like me?
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @tired are you using an SD card? This can cause crashes on the 8 as well, which you may know about. If so, try a different SD card if you have one (it's still not a guaranteed fix though).

Google assistant problem is almost certainly Google's to fix though, AFAIK.
  • Michael Hudec Michael Hudec
    ✭✭  / 
    I have found you can program your thumbs twice... It take a little work to do it but after mine works much better.... I still have issues sometimes not pressing hard enough but its better than just the thumb programmed once. Also, don't even think about a screen protector... it definitely screws it up. I had the S10 and Xiaomi Mi 9... both with in display sensors... they are not any better really. I think the tech itself is not ready for prime time... hopefully a patch will make it better
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @Michael Hudec - you mentioned the S10 in the past tense. Did you send it back, or...? How are you finding the battery life on the PureView under normal conditions?
  • DerickdG DerickdG
    ✭✭  / 
    I'm using Nova instead of the stock launcher coz Nova gives me more contrlol and it lets me get rid of the obtrusive google search bar. The fingerprint reader imho is not ready for primetime, very frustrating. I want to give Nokia a try and hope they become successful like the old days.
  • DerickdG DerickdG
    ✭✭  / 
    I managed to add my right thumb "three times" on the fingerprint setup and it made unlocking a lot easier.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 15
    Ignore my comment about SD card, I forgot that it can't take one... doh! :D

By registering a single finger/thumb multiple times you can increase the chance of it recognising that finger/thumb, but you also increase the risk that it identifies someone else's finger/thumb as your own. But this also the case if you register different fingers/thumbs, so maybe it's not an issue.
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  / 
    An FP scanner that doesn't work across the board, may be the best accidental security feature in the history of smartphones!

Scenario:

You go to your favourite eatery and before your meal, you take some outstanding photos of the decor.

Since you're at a small eatery, when your food comes, there's no room to put your phone down on the table, so you quickly place it on the chair next to you and dig in.

You finish eating, pay your bill and think that you just saw an old friend outside the window, and you want to rush and show them your new Nokia PureView! You leave so quickly that you leave your device on the chair.

You and your old pal exchange pleasantries, and when you're about to show them your phone, you can't find it, and remember that you'd left it on the chair in the eatery.

All the while, three dodgy people passed by your table and noticed a lovely midnight blue phone sitting on the seat - unattended. They thought about pocketing it until they saw the 5 camera array on the back.

"It's a Nokia 9." they murmured. "I'll never get this thing open..."

You return, breathless, to the eatery and find your beautiful phone - right there on the chair where you left it.

See?

Best accidental security feature in Smartphone History! :smiley:
  • Pitkänen Pitkänen
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I posted a reply and edited it. It's in 'community limbo' now. Maybe you'll get to read it - later :tongue: