Home General Ideas

Personalised phones when buying direct from Nokia online

Hi HMD team!

Personalised phones when buying direct from Nokia online

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  / 
Hi HMD team!

One thing that Pekka said when we met him was that they want to help new customers become more emotionally attached to their phones and therefore to the Nokia brand.

To help with this I suggest that the Nokia phones online stores could provide free, optional personalisation! Personalising a phone can make people feel more emotionally attached to it - for example, I know someone with a Moto G3 who refuses to replace it because it has their name written on the back and on the boot screen! This is something which Motorola offered when purchasing directly from them via their online stores. HMD could do something similar.

Doing this could also be financially beneficial for HMD if their online stores have higher margins as it may encourage more people to buy direct rather than via a retailer.

I look forward to seeing this so I can finally get my friend to buy a new Nokia!

Cheers :smiley:

Comments

• Manus Manus
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Are you sure pekka  said that? 
    Special customization? On specific devices? Dude that smells like extra cost and considering that hmd doesn't even using their own device designs I hardly believe it will be happening soon. 
    First they have to give us the Nokia style models to emotionally attach and it's not something too hard, they just have to gather couple of modern era Nokia smartphones (the models that released between 2011and 2013 ) look at them and create a new, futuristic or classic design based on them, like I did with my concept.

Sure I would love to see my own handwritten name and motto on my phones back right below on the model name and on the boot up sequence but having that option on a mediocre generic design smartphone with Nokia name on it won't be an effective way to reflect my style.
    İt has to be unique, different something 'NOKİA' 

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @Manus I don't recall his exact words but I'm sure he said something like that. But the suggestion about personalisation is mine to HMD, it did not come from Pekka - please excuse me if I didn't make that clear.

Maybe personalisation of current Nokia phones won't work for you, but for people who don't have the same history with the brand as you, but are fresh to it, it may help them become attached to their Nokia phone more than their previous models of phone.

And changing your nickname just confused me, but I worked it out now! :D
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 2019
    madbilly said:
    Hi HMD team!

One thing that Pekka said when we met him was that they want to help new customers become more emotionally attached to their phones and therefore to the Nokia brand.

To help with this I suggest that the Nokia phones online stores could provide free, optional personalisation! Personalising a phone can make people feel more emotionally attached to it - for example, I know someone with a Moto G3 who refuses to replace it because it has their name written on the back and on the boot screen! This is something which Motorola offered when purchasing directly from them via their online stores. HMD could do something similar.

Doing this could also be financially beneficial for HMD if their online stores have higher margins as it may encourage more people to buy direct rather than via a retailer.

I look forward to seeing this so I can finally get my friend to buy a new Nokia!

Cheers :smiley:
    This is a very nice idea. But I don't think it will be possible to do it for free. Writing some custom text below the glass of some Nokia phones is the thing that can be only done at the factory before the phone is assembled. It can be etched on the metal back but that has a cost too. So, this cannot be done for free as it might just increase the expenses.

The boot animation can be customised with custom text from a consumer and this will be much easier. I have customised the boot animation of my Nokia 2. It now plays that classic connecting people boot animation.

This idea should be implemented for flagship devices like the "Special Edition" Nokia 8 Sirocco or the Nokia 9 PureView.  :)
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Yes it won't be "free" but often the Nokia online store is more expensive than other retailers so should not be a problem for HMD.

I actually think the biggest benefit will be with the cheaper models as in many cases they may be the owner's first smartphone, so it will help them cherish it even more.
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Yes it won't be "free" but often the Nokia online store is more expensive than other retailers so should not be a problem for HMD.

I actually think the biggest benefit will be with the cheaper models as in many cases they may be the owner's first smartphone, so it will help them cherish it even more.
    Ohh yes. You are correct about the pricing on Nokia Mobile shop and these extra offerings could make up for that extra price and people would be happy with a custom one of its kind Nokia smartphone. 😁