Snake through the ages

It’s one of the most iconic games in mobile history. Every person had a high-score, every person was determined to better someone else’s score.

Snake through the ages

matteo.m matteo.m
Staff member  /  edited March 29

It’s one of the most iconic games in mobile history. Every person had a high-score, every person was determined to better someone else’s score. It was a never-ending battle between friends and family. Whenever you met someone with a Nokia phone the same question was always asked: “What’s your high-score on Snake?”

Although the original concept wasn’t created by Nokia, Taneli Armanto programmed a mobile specific version for the Nokia 6110 in 1998. It was this release that saw the game begin its journey to reach the great heights of popularity.

Since then, there have been many versions of Snake to grace the mobile world.

It was in 2000 when the Nokia 3310 arrived that Snake found its true fame. This version brought about Snake II, which is arguably the version that propelled the game to its highest popularity. The updated version added a more snake-like form, bonuses, mazes and a cyclical screen - meaning you could now go through the bottom of the level and come back out the top.

Several versions followed as technology advanced. Snake Xenzia was released for monochrome displays around 2005 and was the first look at the game with any color on a Nokia screen.

Snake EX was the first real shift in graphics for the game and featured many of the well known aspects of Snake II. The game looked more polished and the snake began to look even more snake-like than its predecessor in Snake II.

The game would go on to see a multitude of changes to the way it looked and the way it played in the following years. Snakes was a multiplayer version that allowed you to play with your friends and compete for bragging rights. Snake III brought about a dramatic shift in graphics with the snake looking its most reptilian, and Snake Subsonic made its way into the world in 2008.

HMD Global took the game back to basics upon the release of the Nokia 3310 feature phone in 2017. Bringing back the Snake Xenzia name, the updated version of the game is a more colorful and more attractive version of the original. The inclusion of Snake on the feature phone was met with a lot of enthusiasm from fans and critics alike.  

The Snake legacy doesn’t end there. In 2018 our CPO, Juho Sarvikas, tweeted out that Snake was now available as an Augmented Reality game on Nokia phones. The AR game maps out your level using your camera and your surroundings.

The future is bright for Snake. We’re looking forward to seeing where one of the world’s most iconic games will go next.

What was your favorite version of Snake? More importantly however, what’s your high-score? Let us know in the comments below.

Comments

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @Perfection oh your suggestion for a modern smartphone with a UI which follows old Nokia designs makes me more nostalgic than Snake ever will! Why? Because I never had a Nokia phone in those early days and therefore never played it.

@matteo.m nice post, great to see the evolution of Snake through the ages. I would have preferred you to post the link to the Ask Me Anything - Answers video which was filmed on Tuesday 26th February in the media briefing room of HMD's media village ;)
  • matteo.m matteo.m
    Staff member  / 
    @madbilly Still under editing! Should be coming soon
  • Manus Manus
    ✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    @Perfection oh your suggestion for a modern smartphone with a UI which follows old Nokia designs makes me more nostalgic than Snake ever will! Why? Because I never had a Nokia phone in those early days and therefore never played it.

@matteo.m nice post, great to see the evolution of Snake through the ages. I would have preferred you to post the link to the Ask Me Anything - Answers video which was filmed on Tuesday 26th February in the media briefing room of HMD's media village ;)
    madbilly said:

Anytime bro :D 
    You didn't played snake? How old are you may I ask?
    Regardless of timeline every Nokia phone, every model series has a unique atmosphere, even the most mediocre ones, take 2700 for example, diamond rush and snake 3 in that phone was great,it gave me great experience (and quite a headache to my poor old highschool roommates :D ) and l would love to see a new version of that game, see even with a silly java game you can start a solid user experience, something people would love to see more.
    İn my old 6303i I played bejeweled twist mostly and its music still gets me everytime. Sane goes for the my first Nokia touchscreen phone too, c6-01, i was playing mobile games frequently in that time, Galaxy on fire 3d, bejeweled 2 hd and Climate mission was my favorite games back than. 
    These 3 models; 2700, 6303and c601 is something like my '80's or 90's; you know the thing people love most, something you can't give them with fastest, brightest best of the best alternatives like today's android or ios.
    And when I think about why it was so, how should I say? Nostalgic, or beautiful I came to idea of it was the software and physical design of those models, the thing we call Nokia style.
    The fonts we had in those models were Nokia sans and Nokia pure, they were mostly easy to recognize and ergonomic, organic. Same goes for the button and page designs too, well you can't realize this on series30 or 40 models due to limited interaction between display and the user but you can easily spot this on Nokia belle ui, it was natural, beautiful and 'human' like Marko ahtisaari; the old design leader of Nokia said.
    And the customization options were had back in Nokia belle era,...... Aaaaaahhhhh 😌 we had thousands of themes with vastly different button designs, fonts colors and shades; from classic,natural Nokia greys - pitch Blacks to most vibrant energetic colors. And look at what we got in these days; just a couple of different icon packs, simple, boring, unfinished wallpapers and unchanging fonts. 😒 but hey we are pure secure and up to date, but booooriiiiing.
    Not just the ui, the extra features, apps back in Nokia belle era was perfect, we had perfect image ace video editors in our phones at the moment we booted up the first time, not just some useless bloatware like Google allo, duo or books.
    And Nokia sleeping screen feature we had back in those days 😌 how I miss that feature, I was happier than the poor ios, Android users back in those days. (I want to buy a Samsung model JUST for the always on display feature, because their always on display feature is the only one that actually looks and feels like old Nokia sleeping screen, customizable clock style, back ground image support etc. - see hmd? Juho you're loosing one of your most loyal customers because of your pointless Androidone passion, we want Nokia phones with Android, not a random cheap Android phone with a shiny Nokia logo on it 😑😒)

You see every Nokia era had a unique experience, a nice effect on the users.
    Early sunken symbian era, s60, symbian Anna, Nokia Belle, meego, even infamous windows phone.
    Yes.
    I sait even the windows phone era had a unique experience, something way better than the current Android.
    You know why? Because we had a whole package user experience with each new lumia software update back than.
    We had a gorgeous looking camera, gallery and media hub ui, that panaromic ui we had with lumia black was perfect (well almost, the fonts was a little bit big but This wasn't a big problem.)
    We had Nokia creative studio as photo editor, something way better than the current Google photos ( useless app that Google is using for peeping our photos for their so called 'superior' photos) 
    We had some nice features such as glance screen, and a true black theme, not some dead, boring greys. Back it 2014 these was so usual for me, it wasn't a dealbreaker but now it seems like a black theme is every Android and ios users wet dream. :D 
    And the physical deform designs of lumia models was way better than the all models since the day that Nokia close the shop

See 
    Each era had a nice experience but not Google-android era.
    You know why? Because we can't get something special from Nokia-hmd; just a plain boring Android ui, useless peeking apps with no privacy.
    But we're pure(dumbb;) secure(from good user experience) up to date (from nothing) 
    Sorry @[email protected]"matteo.m"
    But this is the case. 
    Now please focus on something really really 'Nokia'
    I want to buy a new phone in summer, I want a customizable ui on it, not stock ui, I want Nokia sleeping screen on it, not the so called always on display, I want a high resolution camera on it, not 2 or 3 cameras, or 5.
    I want a different, classic design on it, not some generic mediocre designs with notches or punch holes.
    I want a headphone jack with 24bit audio output support, not a true wireless audio, I want double stereo speakers, not some random mono speaker.
    A 5.8 inch super amoled display, fabula design phone with modernised 41 mp camera with dedicated button+xenon flash and ois, expendable memory, sd855+double stereo and headphone jack is always appreciated, you can use a pure ui on it as nice sprinkles, but not 'pure' Android, 'PURE' Nokia .
    PURE view camera
    PURE MOTİON amoled display
    PURE sound with double stereo and quad dac .
    PURE NOKİA experience with Nokia PURE font and Nokia evolve ui. 
    See I even created a marketing motto :)
    The next model should be on the drawing board, soo  add these on the next model, please? Make a one of its kind model.

I was checking the @madbilly's posts and comments; he always says this line 'a wonderful feature to have I hope we can see this on the next models' 
    This year please make sure that these features that i wrote above is the year we get them.

Hmd focused on being a 'trendy' oem since 2years now its time for being a 'NOKİA' oem .

• todesurteil todesurteil
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Just a question which model Nokia had the infrared sensor which allowed two people to play 2 player snake? If I can remember correctly it was the metallic green and silver device? I had the 5110 and later the 3310. Use to play with friends in high school's devices then we'd played 2 player snake. 
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 12
    matteo.m said:
    @matteo.m that's great to hear! It was a nice idea to do a video but maybe next time you can just do it live in written form, here on the forum or on Reddit, maybe Twitter. You won't have to edit a video and you can still make sure that every answer passes your internal checks before you publish it.

Cheers :)
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 12
    @Perfection I'm old enough ;) Maybe I was wrong to say "never" because I have a vague memory of the game, but if I did play it it was princely on a computer, not a phone.

For the rest of your post - I'm totally with you! In fact I was just writing down all the features that I'd like to see and you list many of the same. Thanks for your kind words about my posts, I do remain hopeful that HMD bring some of these features but I'm very concerned that Android One severely limits what HMD can do. When we met Pekka Rantala at MWC I explained that we need the new Nokias to feel like Nokias in the software, not only the hardware. He seemed to say there are some things which they can do within the limits of Android One, so fingers crossed!
  • petrus petrus
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    matteo.m said:

I'm excited. :smiley:
  • Manus Manus
    ✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    @Perfection I'm old enough ;) Maybe I was wrong to say "never" because I have a vague memory of the game, but if I did play it it was princely on a computer, not a phone.

For the rest of your post - I'm totally with you! In fact I was just writing down all the features that I'd like to see and you list many of the same. Thanks for your kind words about my posts, I do remain hopeful that HMD bring some of these features but I'm very concerned that Android One severely limits what HMD can do. When we met Pekka Rantala at MWC I explained that we need the new Nokias to feel like Nokias in the software, not only the hardware. He seemed to say there are some things which they can do within the limits of Android One, so fingers crossed!
    Hmm 
    Can you ask about the software choices in the future, you seem like really close to the hmd design team.
    At least they answer you (heloooo @matteo.m  a quick response, a 'thank you for feedback' wouldn't kill you you know? I'm wasting my hours to writing these 😒 -ps does any of you guys from hmd global know which genius developer was the one who developed the wordflow keyboard in lumia models? Don't say ask Microsoft; you guys were working together. I'm in pain with Android keyboard apps here, none of them works correctly, I can't write.)

Anyway feel free to ask anything you want, I too would love to pen a looooong article about the Nokia models but sadly I don't have time, and even if I have I can't write fast enough with Android. (And I'm kinda dissapointed with hmd, they don't listen us; me, you, general users, it's been 2 years.)
    I hope you get some attention with your efforts.

By the way don't limit yourself with this forum, why don't you try to reach the old designers of Nokia? Marko Ahtisaari for example;he was responsible from the software ui and outer design of the Nokia phones back in between 2009-2013 September, he left Nokia after the release of his last masterpiece;lumia 1520.
    (He must have thought that Microsoft won't listen his design ideas) 
    As the former designer I'm sure he still has some effect on Nokia, I'm not expecting him to take the wheel (guy is happy as he is :) )
    But if he was the one making the suggestions I'm sure his friends in hmd-Nokia would listen to him.

My designs are just a modernized version of his old designs; lumia 925,1520 designs.
    And I got more in my mind, for example the current ui of Android, regardless of the oem version suffers from the ineffective interaction, even with the widgets most of your gigantic display area is not interactive.
    This wasn't a problem we had with lumia models, their ui was pretty interactive.

For understanding what I ment and Marko ahtisaaris design ideas read this; https://amp.theguardian.com/technology/2012/jan/31/ahtisaari-nokia-lumia-design
    İt consists wonderful ideas for a better user experience.

Ps Mr Ahtisaari was thinking about the making a phone with no holes, or ports, just wireless connection, or a magnetic port system like we saw with Nokia Moonraker smartwatch concept. 

Pretty futuristic eh? :):smile:

Can't wait to see your article. I hope you get some useful results, like finally getting some solid result, SOLİD result (get it :D:wink: )
    You and I suffering the torment of tantalus we know a lot of things, making suggestions but can't get attention from the upper ranks. (İm looking at you @[email protected]"matteo.m" @[email protected] 😑 just listen this guy, me, us, your loyal customers, it's been 6 years since I'm waiting for a satisfying Nokia model, my old lumia 925 was doing good until it get malfunctioned, and it's been 11 months since I had to replace that great phone with this Nokia 6. This is a huge downgrade from that model, no amoled display, no ois, bad design, empty software. JUST  LİSTEN US PLEASE )
  • user1513791683644 user1513791683644
    ✭✭✭  / 
    The original implementation of Snake is stii the best. Also the way I first experienced it.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @Perfection a lot of people make the mistake of thinking I have some influence over HMD, it's not true :D Although it's true I now have some contacts there I don't intend to use them as a backdoor, I prefer to try and influence HMD publicly here in the forum with everyone else.

Thanks for the link to the article, it's a really interesting read. I'm not sure I like the idea of no physical ports/connections, but the idea of taking away the unnecessary and streamlining tasks I fully agree with.

And I also had a Lumia 925 until it malfunctioned almost two years ago! It was a great phone, but I could not resurrect it unfortunately (yet - it's still in pieces awaiting a few more attempts).

I'd love to continue discussing design and in particular UXes, but we're way off-topic here so I've started us up again over there: https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/44762/how-to-get-that-nokia-feeling-design-and-ux

See you there!

Cheers :smiley:
  • Manus Manus
    ✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    @Perfection a lot of people make the mistake of thinking I have some influence over HMD, it's not true :D Although it's true I now have some contacts there I don't intend to use them as a backdoor, I prefer to try and influence HMD publicly here in the forum with everyone else.

Thanks for the link to the article, it's a really interesting read. I'm not sure I like the idea of no physical ports/connections, but the idea of taking away the unnecessary and streamlining tasks I fully agree with.

And I also had a Lumia 925 until it malfunctioned almost two years ago! It was a great phone, but I could not resurrect it unfortunately (yet - it's still in pieces awaiting a few more attempts).

I'd love to continue discussing design and in particular UXes, but we're way off-topic here so I've started us up again over there: https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/44762/how-to-get-that-nokia-feeling-design-and-ux

See you there!

Cheers :smiley:
    Were you using the glance screen? 
    What happened to it?
    What's your current daily driver?
    And, be honest are you satisfied with Android? 
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I was using Glance Screen on the 925.
    I think it was installing an update and the phone got hung for hours not appearing to do anything. I tried to reboot it and it died. I suspect there is a problem with the eMMC because I can't get anything to flash to it.
    Nokia 8.
    No. Because I know how much better it could be.
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @matteo.m Looking forward to a new flavor of snake for Android and baked into the new phones too. A Nokia without Snake is not a Nokia :p
    Why should new phones ship without a native game for some entertainment?
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 19
    @singhnsk I fully agree with you - that's the kind of "bloat" I don't mind, it adds to the character of the phone. I think my N8 had Angry Birds on it, back in the day, maybe @pekka rantala's influence ;)

And of course, Android One phones apparently have no bloat in them... except for all the Google bloat we'll probably never use. This is probably why there's no modern Snake included.

Still, it would be a nice touch - it would help make my Nokia feel like a Nokia, not just look like one from the back.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    matteo.m said:
    @matteo.m, let me guess, still under editing? Wow that must be some blooper reel! :D

Honestly though, this is starting to look quite silly. "Ask me anything" but you will never receive the answers? That's not really how these things are meant to work is it. We're all waiting to hear what Chris, Juho, Pekka and Pranav have to say; roll VT.

Even if we never see it, I really hope that you found the whole exercise valuable and that in future you do more AMAs, but do it live, in a written form.  Heck if Barack Obama could do it when he was president of the USA then HMD must be able to muster themselves for one hour.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Back on topic @matteo.m :D

I can't believe you forgot these gems from Nokia Mobile's recent history:
    The #MakeSnake challenge looks like great fun! We should have done this in Barcelona... Next time maybe ;)

I can't find any examples of anyone else doing their own #MakeSnake video - really? Nobody? A missed opportunity. I think if HMD could "sponsor" some "Nokian" meet-ups with some free tat (e.g. t-shirts) then this attempt at viral marketing would work.
  • When will we get an update of "Oxygen" on Nokia 8.1
  • jimmyireland jimmyireland
    ✭✭✭  / 
    there was a more advanced type of snake game later on I cant remember the name of it,came on the N series was cool..
  • oldhorse oldhorse
     / 
    It is a very classic game