Google Assistant button - remap workaround?

Hi everyone, The new 3.2 and 4.2 have a dedicated button for calling the Google Assistant app.

Google Assistant button - remap workaround?

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 2019
Hi everyone,

The new 3.2 and 4.2 have a dedicated button for calling the Google Assistant app. AFAIK it cannot be remapped, Google forbid this, however, I wonder if it can be made to call another app by changing the default "assistant" app. This can already be done in Android 8.1, I don't know if it's possible in Android 9. Any app which say it is an "assistant" can be made to be default and then called by long-pressing the home button e.g. Firefox!

So, the question is, does this work for the dedicated assistant button?

Let me know when you get your 3.2 or 4.2!

Cheers :smiley:

Comments

• Tsapana Tsapana
    ✭✭  /  edited November 2019

It should be possible, but looks like this system setting not working at least on nokia 7.2 - other assistant apps can not be selected. Looks like a bug in nokia's software layer.

• Deb Ghosh Deb Ghosh
    ✭✭  / 
    Yes. Apparently it worked for an XDA guy. But didnt work for me.
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Yes, setting a different assist app works on all phones I tried. Last was a Nokia 2.2. I was able to pull Microsoft's Cortana using the GA button. Google would hate me doing that on a video 🤤

Yep, Firefox worked too. I could open a new Fox tab by pressing that handy button. But I'd have liked it more if I could just open existing opened tabs instead of a new blank tab :))

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited December 2019

Hi @singhnsk, I agree, the new tab function isn't much use except that I think it's possible to combine it with some sort of voice assist if you find the right add-on to work with Firefox for Android. I think it is or was an add-on which allowed voice input for various search engines. I never got it to work properly though.

Cheers 🙂

EDIT - Voice Fill! It was a Firefox Test Pilot add-on.

• Philip_05 Philip_05
    ✭✭  / 

Google Assistant button should be customized

• @sandi2708 @sandi2708
    ✭✭  / 
  • @sandi2708 @sandi2708
    ✭✭  / 

First you have to turn assistant off from the settings and then install a button mapper to customize. I have customised the assistant button to take screenshots, splitscreen for supported apps and toggle flashlight. Till now it has been working flawlessly in my 7.2. No root was required.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi Sandi2708,

First, I can't work out how to tag you with an @ at the front of your name - can you remove it please? 🙂

Second, thanks for the tips! This is very useful to know 😃

Cheers 🙂