Improvements To Camera App

The camera app could be improved in many ways, here's a couple to get started, please add your own suggestions. 

Improvements To Camera App

Gavin Owen Gavin Owen
 /  edited March 20
The camera app could be improved in many ways, here's a couple to get started, please add your own suggestions. 

1. Either allow us to specify a default camera mode OR start the app in the last mode used. It's silly that we have to select Pro mode every time we launch the camera. 

2. In Pro mode allow us to select Auto ISO with a specific shutter speed or vice versa. At the moment, setting either shutter speed or ISO to auto also sets the other setting to auto. This means that if I choose a fast shutter speed I have to manually dial-in the right ISO to get a correct exposure. The app should do this for me. 

Comments

• N808 N808 ✭✭
    ✭✭  / 
    Why would someone with a serious interest in photography not use a far more capable compact camera with a larger sensor, and, for me a must in bright sun light, an EVF?
  • madbilly madbilly ✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @Gavin Owen and @user1528226019961 nice suggestion! :smiley:

@N808 I think it's just a case of wanting to get the best out of the available hardware, which I think is completely understandable.
  • N808 said:
    Why would someone with a serious interest in photography not use a far more capable compact camera with a larger sensor, and, for me a must in bright sun light, an EVF?
    Because as anyone with a serious interest in photography will tell you, the best camera in the world is the one you have with you. My phone goes with me everywhere. Serious photographers look to squeeze every drop of performance out of their kit, so if the camera isn't doing something that it could do simply by means of a software change, then a serious photographer will look to get that done.
  • N808 N808 ✭✭
    ✭✭  / 
    In Pro mode allow us to select Auto ISO with a specific shutter speed or vice versa. At the moment, setting either shutter speed or ISO to auto also sets the other setting to auto. This means that if I choose a fast shutter speed I have to manually dial-in the right ISO to get a correct exposure. The app should do this for me. 
    Surely with a fixed aperture lens, if one pre-sets a shutter speed, in order to obtain a correct exposure the only other adjustable parameter is ISO which the camera app would set automatically.

• N808 N808 ✭✭
    ✭✭  / 
    N808 said:
    Because as anyone with a serious interest in photography will tell you, the best camera in the world is the one you have with you. My phone goes with me everywhere. Serious photographers look to squeeze every drop of performance out of their kit, so if the camera isn't doing something that it could do simply by means of a software change, then a serious photographer will look to get that done.
    I am aware of that mantra.

My point was that there are highly pocketable cameras which are more capable than a phone's camera, and would enable a photographer to capture a wider range of photographs.
  • N808 said:
    In Pro mode allow us to select Auto ISO with a specific shutter speed or vice versa. At the moment, setting either shutter speed or ISO to auto also sets the other setting to auto. This means that if I choose a fast shutter speed I have to manually dial-in the right ISO to get a correct exposure. The app should do this for me. 
    Surely with a fixed aperture lens, if one pre-sets a shutter speed, in order to obtain a correct exposure the only other adjustable parameter is ISO which the camera app would set automatically.

That's the problem I'm describing, it doesn't allow you to have fixed exposure and auto ISO or fixed ISO and auto exposure. Either both are auto or both are manual. I think its probably a bug in the camera app interface rather than a missing feature. 
  • Ajg Ajg ✭✭
    ✭✭  / 
    Por qué cuando se utiliza la velocidad de obturación no permite el control manual de la compensación de la exposición?
  • Also, something very annoying is not being able to change the default gallery app. I disabled Google Photos because I don't plan on using it and of course now the camera app will not go directly to gallery. Any ideas on how to fix this? It should be a simple option in the camera settings should one want to use a different gallery app. 
  • Mapantz Mapantz
     /  edited March 24
    I'm getting rather agitated by the camera app. It hasn't crashed yet, but i'm trying to do some 10 second exposure shots, but it won't initiate, despite ISO set to 100 and the shutter at 10 seconds - it just takes a normal shot.

It seems to have a focusing issue too.. it's constantly focusing in and out and will not stop unless you touch the screen. But then it will start again after a few seconds.

I have reset the camera app, but it still will not do a 10 second exposure. It works if you have plenty of light, but that defeats the object of using a longer shutter speed! Very frustrating.

It would be handy if we could turn the flash on or off in pro mode rather than having to go back to 'photo' each time.
  • user1528226019961 user1528226019961 ✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @ Mapantz

Hi, you cannot actively choose focus on "pro mode" if you want to get these long exposures (or any manually chosen variables). You just let the camera obtain focus automatically. If you have chosen a focus area and obtain focus, you have to wait until the circunference disappears, and that (immediately) the camera resets focus. Then, an exposure with your chosen settings can be obtained by pressing the shutter circle.
    I sincerely hope that Nokia introduces a manual focus dial in the pro mode in the next camera app version

Thanks
  • @ Mapantz

Hi, you cannot actively choose focus on "pro mode" if you want to get these long exposures (or any manually chosen variables). You just let the camera obtain focus automatically. If you have chosen a focus area and obtain focus, you have to wait until the circunference disappears, and that (immediately) the camera resets focus. Then, an exposure with your chosen settings can be obtained by pressing the shutter circle.
    I sincerely hope that Nokia introduces a manual focus dial in the pro mode in the next camera app version

Thanks
    Yes you can. You tap the screen to focus - i've just tried it this second.

That's the problem though, it will not stop trying to focus. It focuses to infinity then back to close in a continual loop. The only way to stop it is to tap the screen. However, it will not do a long exposure even when it is set to 10 seconds. It's like the camera thinks it is too dark or something, which defeats the object of doing a long exposure
  • madbilly madbilly ✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    This sounds like a bug so it's worth contacting support about it, that way it will get properly recorded. I'm not convinced that what we write here gets properly summarised and communicated well within HMD.
  • vviskari vviskari ✭✭
    ✭✭  / 
    Improve the camera auto mode. Now it defaults too fast shutter speed. This is the main reason why low light pictures are garbage. Camera bumps the iso to 6400 and shutter 1/50. Rule of thumb is to use inverse of focal length as shutter speed. Camera field of view is equivalent to 27mm (or 28, idk) lens. Default shutter speed should be 1/25. That way iso could be lowered to 3200 for same exposure.
    And pro mode is currently useless. It is impossible to judge the correct exposure from the screen because the actual image is not even close what the screen shows while framing the shot.

BTW, where is the 10x the light claim? What did it bring to the table. I understand it so that 10x more means about 3 stops faster shutter speed compared to normal camera with single lens. Why are the images so dark and grainy then?
  • vviskari said:

BTW, where is the 10x the light claim? What did it bring to the table. I understand it so that 10x more means about 3 stops faster shutter speed compared to normal camera with single lens. Why are the images so dark and grainy then?
    I think many people have gotten the wrong end of the stick regarding that. The monochrome sensors allow 2.9x more light in than an RGB sensor, so all 5 cameras allow up to 10x more light. As far as I am aware, HMD didn't state that it meant low light images would be 10x brighter, more likely that it gives far more detail in normal light.
  • I've given up with Pro Mode! It is twilight here currently, so there's a bit of light available. I put my 9 on a tripod and set the exposure to 8 seconds, but it simply won't do it. It cannot focus at all - in, out, in out, in, out, but it just takes a normal picture.

I absolutely loved the camera app on the Lumia 1020, but this has to be the worst one I have ever used. The controls don't even understand landscape/portrait mode.
  • madbilly madbilly ✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Yes the camera app really needs some improvements, that's clear for all HMD's phones. For this autofocus thing though, other phones don't seem to have that problem (at least I've seen some nice long-exposure photos) so I think it's a 9PV specific bug and I recommend telling support directly.
  • madbilly said:
    Yes the camera app really needs some improvements, that's clear for all HMD's phones. For this autofocus thing though, other phones don't seem to have that problem (at least I've seen some nice long-exposure photos) so I think it's a 9PV specific bug and I recommend telling support directly.
    Yeah. I've gotten in contact with support using the 'My Phone' app that came with the device. I only just spotted it today.   o:)
  • madbilly madbilly ✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Yes I agree that the My Phone app's purpose still isn't clear. I did suggest a while ago that HMD add an something in the setup process that tell's the user the Nokia-specific things, but I don't think it got implemented.
  • vviskari vviskari ✭✭
    ✭✭  / 
    Mapantz said:
    I think many people have gotten the wrong end of the stick regarding that. The monochrome sensors allow 2.9x more light in than an RGB sensor, so all 5 cameras allow up to 10x more light. As far as I am aware, HMD didn't state that it meant low light images would be 10x brighter, more likely that it gives far more detail in normal light.
    Yes, I understand that you should take the marketing claims with a grain of salt. But, I honestly thought the images would look like they were shot at least 2 stops faster than normal. And that means indoors too.

Images taken outdoors are truly amazing, I give them that. But inside the camera is almost useless. I dont mean in darkness, just normal room lighting. Grainy mush. Enabling flash just destroys the image completely. It totally overblows the exposure. It's like the camera evaluates the exposure as if taken without flash and then just slams the flash on top of it.

To be honest, I doubt there are many photographers working in HMD. How could this be otherwise so sad.

• Gattsuh Gattsuh ✭✭
    ✭✭  / 
    Well I can't believe how this buggy camera app managed to get approved before release. It's a complete piece of junk. It's so poorly optimized, slow and sluggish that you could take a any ordinary person from the street, give him a 2 weeks course in app development and he would produce a better end product.
    Alot of people have to loose their jobs because this is a disaster. I mean how could you even **** up an autofocus and not add manual focus in pro mode. This is a disgrace to the Nokia legacy.
  • Is there any other good camera app? And has anyone tried it? Maybe the results are better on a3rd party app?
  • kentsin kentsin
     / 
    1. make a live wallpaper showing the camera
    2. A photo capture app that take a set of settings that can be stored as a quick link on a folder or desktop that capture photos and exists. Hope that will make the photo taking speed acceptable.
  • redskua redskua ✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Gattsuh said:
    Well I can't believe how this buggy camera app managed to get approved before release. It's a complete piece of junk. It's so poorly optimized, slow and sluggish that you could take a any ordinary person from the street, give him a 2 weeks course in app development and he would produce a better end product.
    Alot of people have to loose their jobs because this is a disaster. I mean how could you even **** up an autofocus and not add manual focus in pro mode. This is a disgrace to the Nokia legacy.
    Agreed, i think it is totally beyond them, a serious lack of skill and talent. I do not think this situation will improve, ask N8 and Sirocco users
  • Tim9 Tim9 ✭✭
    ✭✭  / 
    It would be great to have access to the full set of images before processing although I realise this would create a massive file.
  • Tomasz ExFiddling Tomasz ExFiddling ✭✭
    ✭✭  / 
    Mapantz said:
    @ Mapantz

Thanks
    Yes you can. You tap the screen to focus - i've just tried it this second.

That's the problem though, it will not stop trying to focus. It focuses to infinity then back to close in a continual loop. The only way to stop it is to tap the screen. However, it will not do a long exposure even when it is set to 10 seconds. It's like the camera thinks it is too dark or something, which defeats the object of doing a long exposure
    I own this phone for a week already, and still  hesisate to keep it, or give it back.Cam app  is totally unpredictibleI.Yestardey I tried to test it in low light. Cam set in  "Pro mode".To do noisless pictures ISO set at 160 , camera on stand with timer set fo 3 sec.and assuming that camera will will measure the expositions began test.2 pictures was ok, I gave a device time to finish calculations after each shot, and after that all pictures totally underxeposed ( at the same parameters settings , the same light conditions).Strange things, but in gallery I saw the value of ISO like 2200 or somethin similar, but it is not important (maybe google gallery bug).What I am affraid of, is that exposure measurement in PRO mode faills, or doen's work at all.When i began to set time of exposision  ( I mean time setting, other things untouched )manually based on  display preview , camera began to do correct exposed pictures. Can someone share similar experiences.Timer sound during countdown is heard only once. Next foto , no way. Application has to be  closed , killed, and reopned to hear it again.Focus set by taping on screen works ok in my case
  • Dirk Vinkx Dirk Vinkx ✭✭
    ✭✭  / 

1. Either allow us to specify a default camera mode OR start the app in the last mode used. It's silly that we have to select Pro mode every time we launch the camera. 

2. In Pro mode allow us to select Auto ISO with a specific shutter speed or vice versa. At the moment, setting either shutter speed or ISO to auto also sets the other setting to auto. This means that if I choose a fast shutter speed I have to manually dial-in the right ISO to get a correct exposure. The app should do this for me. 
    Also a bit more control over the different sensors would be nice. Like a bigger spread in exposure to get more dynamic range when you want to do HDR. Or combining equal exposures to gain more noise reduction. Stuff like that i would have really wanted to tinker with.