HMD's use of conflict minerals

Hi all, HMD recently posted online the environmental 
profiles for many of the smart and feature phones:

HMD's use of conflict minerals

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  / 
Hi all,

HMD recently posted online the environmental profiles for many of the smart and feature phones: https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/environmental-profiles (Thanks to NPU for the tip).

For me, it is great to see that the use of conflict minerals is addressed, even though it is not directly an environmental concern. For those of you that don't know, these are minerals (typically tin, tantalum, tungsten and gold) which are mined in areas of the world (mainly central Africa) where there is almost continuous civil war and the armed groups use the trade in these valuable minerals to fund their violence and continue the wars. There are also knock-on impacts on things like child labour.

Most of the environmental profiles for HMD's phones say that conflict minerals were not used in their manufacture, but not all phones have this statement. The phones which don't have this statement are the 1, 216, 130 and 105. I don't know the reason for this, but the fact that HMD can say that some phones do and some do not means (or appears to) that they have control of their supply chain and know what comes from where - this is a good thing. I hope that as environmental profiles for more phones are added we can see an improvement and a complete end to using conflict minerals.

In addition to eliminating the use of conflict minerals it would be great to see HMD start to use Fairtrade Gold in their phones, like Fairphone do.

Cheers :)
Tagged:

Comments

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Which? wrote an article on conflict minerals in smartphones and other socio-economic and environmental issues: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/03/the-hidden-cost-of-your-smartphone/

It looks like HMD are doing quite well for their use of conflict minerals, but there is definitely room to improve - they should get to at least as good as Apple. I look forward to seeing the full report from Ethical Consumer.