HMD's Nokia phones' environmental profiles

Hi everyone, HMD recently posted online the environmental profiles for many of the smart and feature phones:

HMD's Nokia phones' environmental profiles

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 20
Hi everyone,

HMD recently posted online the environmental profiles for many of the smart and feature phones: https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/environmental-profiles (Thanks to NPU for the tip).

I'm really pleased to see these as it shows that HMD is thinking about this both in terms of the ecological impact they have and how it can help them with marketing. The profiles also include some socio-economic impacts such as use of conflict minerals which I wrote about in another thread

The biggest environmental impact of a smartphone is actually in its manufacturing so the longer we keep our phones the lower the overall environmental impact (because we're not buying another resource consuming phone). I think that HMD have missed an opportunity here! Their promise of 2 years of OS updates and 3 years to security updates means that their phones can be kept up to date much longer than Android phones from other manufacturers (but not iPhones or some other niche brands) which means that people should not need to replace them as frequently - this would have a huge reduction in environmental impact! I agree that it is not a fixed, known and certain impact, it is only potential impact, but it is worth highlighting.

Great to see that HMD is continuing the tradition of old-Nokia using 100% recyclable and recycled material where possible. It's interesting that some packages contain more recycled material than others. Personally I'd be happy to receive my phone in packaging that is both 100% recycled and 100% recyclable, regardless of how it looks. To start, HMD could start changing the packaging for Android phones (which use <40% recycled material) to be the same as the packaging for feature phones (which use 60%) - I don't really understand why this is not already the case.

However, the bigger concern on materials is actually the materials the phone is made from and whilst HMD tell us the percentages and types of material they do not tell us if this material is from recycled sources or not. This would be a very welcome addition to the environmental profiles.

One thing that is very interesting and shows that Android is not all "progress" is that Android phones do not remind us to unplug our charger to save electricity when the phone is already charged or unplugged, but Nokia feature phones do (and my N8 with Symbian still does). I would like to see this feature return to Nokia smartphones.

On the subject of charging, why aren't all Nokia phone chargers 5 star rated? They are only 4 star? This really is saving pennies in HMD's costs, surely this can be fixed at little additional expense to HMD.

Repairability is not addressed at all in the environmental profiles and remains a major concern because of HMD following the industry trend of making smartphones which are difficult to repair and which have batteries which the typical consumer cannot replace. I know that JerryRigEverything said that the 7+ had good repairability but that is not a high accolade because the competition was virtually non-existent. Only a few years ago smartphones were much easier to repair, but now it is not really possible without risking damaging the phone. iFixit scores phones on their repairability - see where modern smartphones rank (unfortunately no modern HMD Nokia phones on the list yet): https://www.ifixit.com/smartphone-repairability. HMD could easily address the matter of repairability by making spare parts and service manuals available to consumers for a reasonable price and ensuring that costs for repairs at one of their service centres are also reasonably (unfortunately I've read some shocking stories about repair costs in India). Maybe HMD could give iFixit a phone for them to disassemble and score the repairability of?

Thanks for reading all the way to the end ;)

Cheers :smiley: