Nokia 5.1 Plus - Everything

I have been using this phone for a month. Following, I shall try to describe thing I like, dislike, issues and gimmicks; everything I have on this phone.

Nokia 5.1 Plus - Everything

Karaj Karaj
✭✭  / 
I have been using this phone for a month. Following, I shall try to describe thing I like, dislike, issues and gimmicks; everything I have on this phone.

• Issues
1. The application management is iffy and cruel. It kills apps in background, after screen has been locked for some time.

2. The icons are sometimes hidden due to notch and there is just a single dot. It is frustrating at times when I can't see the Network bars.

3. The UI has trouble adapting itself to screen dimensions after I change the display size to small and font size to small.

4. Status bar, when pulled down, pulls some of battery and clock information with itself.

5. Music playback stutters sometimes when I play it over bluetooth.

6. The exposure option in Pro Mode of Camera does not work.

7. Video playback has a sharpening effect to itself and it is very distracting. Using SW decoder and RGB 32 output in setting solves this.

1. The glass design looks good. Likewise, it feels good in hand. Just have to wipe it more often.

2. The lone speaker sounds good. Though it is best upto 70% of volume, anything further makes it jitter.

3. Battery backup, if not excellent, is decent. I get about 6 hours of screentime with mixed usage of watching videos, browsing and calling.

4. Performance in day-to-day operations is good. Everything is fluid and just works, though faced some stutter with music playback when screen is off.

5. Although this phone lacks any fast charging, its charging speed is rather good. I assume it is because its battery capacity is rather small at 3000 mAh.

6. Screen brigthness is good. Usable outdoors and visible under sunlight.

7. The earpiece is loud and clear. Call quality is good.

8. FP Sensor unlocks the phone fast. Though it takes sometime before someone can locate it at the back, as it sits mostly flush with the back.

• DISLIKES

1. Camera quality is bad. Hard to grasp how HMD can fail such a crucial part of a phone for which Nokia was known for.

2. The notch brings more problem for the user than the screen space it frees for the user.

3. Display resolution is not adequate for a display of this size. Nokia should have provided a full HD resolution display for this phone. Its little sibling, the vanilla 5.1 gets it.

4. Nokia After-Sales Service. My friend had a very bad experience with them after 6.1's proximity sensor went haywire. I am afraid of the same in case my phone has any problem and I have to deal with them.

5. WHY DOES IT KEEP KILLING MY APPLICATIONS IN BACKGROUND?

No support for unlocking bootloader.

I will keep updating this thread as I use this phone and explore its options.

Comments

• Karaj Karaj
    ✭✭  / 

Image for the 2nd issue. The dot is even there at times when I disable the Full Bezel option in Display settings.
  • Karaj Karaj
    ✭✭  / 

Image for the third issue. See the home button. It has some of its side pixels cut. Maybe due to the UI adaptation problem.
  • Roid Roid
    ✭✭  / 
    Is it ok if i update the android system by myself? I mean using only this smarthphone
  • Karaj Karaj
    ✭✭  / 
    Sure. Just make sure battery is adequately charged.
  • Karaj Karaj
    ✭✭  / 
    POSSIBLE FIX FOR MUSIC STUTTER ON BLUETOOTH PLAYBACK ISSUE:

I have noticed that toggling on the 'disable absolute volume' in developer option has lead to less of music stutter when played over bluetooth.

Also, while using Poweramp, I use the enabling wakelock option in settings.
  • Karaj Karaj
    ✭✭  / 
    ANOTHER ISSUE:

I have noticed that when i plug in my non-mic headphone, the phone misunderstands them for a headphone with a mic. Also the volume automatically goes all the way up.

The only possible fix I have seen is that I have to plug in the headphone slowly.
  • BangMe'Hard BangMe'Hard
    ✭✭  / 
    Karaj said:

• Issues
    1. The application management is iffy and cruel. It kills apps in background, after screen has been locked for some time.

2. The icons are sometimes hidden due to notch and there is just a single dot. It is frustrating at times when I can't see the Network bars.

3. The UI has trouble adapting itself to screen dimensions after I change the display size to small and font size to small.

4. Status bar, when pulled down, pulls some of battery and clock information with itself.

5. Music playback stutters sometimes when I play it over bluetooth.

6. The exposure option in Pro Mode of Camera does not work.

7. Video playback has a sharpening effect to itself and it is very distracting. Using SW decoder and RGB 32 output in setting solves this.

1. The glass design looks good. Likewise, it feels good in hand. Just have to wipe it more often.

2. The lone speaker sounds good. Though it is best upto 70% of volume, anything further makes it jitter.

3. Battery backup, if not excellent, is decent. I get about 6 hours of screentime with mixed usage of watching videos, browsing and calling.

4. Performance in day-to-day operations is good. Everything is fluid and just works, though faced some stutter with music playback when screen is off.

5. Although this phone lacks any fast charging, its charging speed is rather good. I assume it is because its battery capacity is rather small at 3000 mAh.

6. Screen brigthness is good. Usable outdoors and visible under sunlight.

7. The earpiece is loud and clear. Call quality is good.

8. FP Sensor unlocks the phone fast. Though it takes sometime before someone can locate it at the back, as it sits mostly flush with the back.

• DISLIKES

1. Camera quality is bad. Hard to grasp how HMD can fail such a crucial part of a phone for which Nokia was known for.

2. The notch brings more problem for the user than the screen space it frees for the user.

3. Display resolution is not adequate for a display of this size. Nokia should have provided a full HD resolution display for this phone. Its little sibling, the vanilla 5.1 gets it.

4. Nokia After-Sales Service. My friend had a very bad experience with them after 6.1's proximity sensor went haywire. I am afraid of the same in case my phone has any problem and I have to deal with them.

5. WHY DOES IT KEEP KILLING MY APPLICATIONS IN BACKGROUND?

No support for unlocking bootloader.

I will keep updating this thread as I use this phone and explore its options.
    I just loved how you described the issues. Everything you mentioned are the bugs which needs quick fix. unfortunately march update just bought security patch and no fix for thoese bugs. Im happy for your thread but only issue with this forum is that nobody bothers to work on these issues. Moderators are busy sleeping and deleting unwanted threads. They don't reply to these type important threads.
    Nokia is losing its value here.
    Nokia had a good comeback with android one project but just because of its ignorance to consumers reviews it lags behind.
    This is not the Nokia i expected.
  • BangMe'Hard BangMe'Hard
    ✭✭  / 
    1 more issue. Phone speaker doesn't work sometimes when call comes. have to restart the phone everytime. 
  • Karaj Karaj
    ✭✭  / 
    1 more issue. Phone speaker doesn't work sometimes when call comes. have to restart the phone everytime. 
    I haven't had this issue till date. Proximity sensor issues though, I face them once or twice in a few days. But the fix for this, restart the phone, is simple so I don't concern myself with it.
  • Shailesh Bahuguna Shailesh Bahuguna
    ✭✭  / 
    Karaj said:
    I haven't had this issue till date. Proximity sensor issues though, I face them once or twice in a few days. But the fix for this, restart the phone, is simple so I don't concern myself with it.
    Reststarting phone is simple but this problem should be fixed
  • Karaj Karaj
    ✭✭  / 
    RAM ISSUE:

Why cannot the phone hold more than a application in its memory? Why does it have to kill the background apps? Will we be able to have a phone which allows us to multitask freely?
  • Karaj Karaj
    ✭✭  / 
    ACCESIBILITY ISSUE:

Greenify's accessibility option gets turned off everytime. Auto-Hibernation does not work. I have to turn it off every time to get it to work.