Telstra VoLTE not working on TA-1012

Hi there, I have a Nokia 8 (TA-1012), which I bought at Harvey Norman in Australia.

Telstra VoLTE not working on TA-1012

mpwong mpwong
 / 

Hi there,

I have a Nokia 8 (TA-1012), which I bought at Harvey Norman in Australia. It is not parallel-imported becuase Harvey Norman got it from the local distributor. I am with Telstra.

VoLTE does not work on my phone. The 'Enhanced 4G LTE Mode' toggle does not exist in my settings. The  *#*#4636#*#* menu shows the IMS setting is 'IMS not registered'.

I went to the Telstra shop on Bourke Street in Melbourne (a big store) and they checked my account. They could see that it was enabled in their systems. They also said people had reported that some phones with non-Telstra firmware had been getting VoLTE. Do note that Telstra does not stock the Nokia 8, so there is no 'Telstra firmware' for it.

What else do I need to do to get VoLTE working on my Nokia 8? Or does HMD Global need to do a 'carrier-update'?

Kind regards,

Matt

Comments

• user389 user389
    ✭✭✭  / 

Hi Matt,
    Nokia 8 TA-1012 is the same variant I use in Denmark. Enhanced 4G LTE mode and VoLTE is enabled automatically when the SIM card from my (Telenor DK) mobile operator is inserted.

Is the phone fully updated, both the OS and all apps in Google Play Store?

The Carrier Settings app is updated regularly, if that matters.

Did Telstra suggest try a replacement SIM card?
    This is the first troubleshooting step for mobile connectivity issues IMO.

On my phone *#*#4636#*#* > Phone info > menu ... has two selections for Australian radio bands, and plenty for preferred network type. I don't know if any of it makes a difference, but make a note of the current setting, then try set the preferred network type to LTE/UMTS auto (PRL) if it isn't already?
    It should normally revert to the settings that is stored on the SIM card when the phone is restarted, and can be reset via Settings > System > Reset options > Reset Wi-Fi, mobile and Bluetooth if needed (and for troubleshooting).

VoLTE should work out of the box on Nokia 8 TA-1012 if the mobile operator supports it, as far as I know.

Please let the forum know if and how you get it sorted out?

--
    Hans

• mpwong mpwong
     / 

Went to Telstra today again. The staff member opened up my Telstra account configuration on their internal portal and showed me that VoLTE for my SIM was enabled. They also put my SIM card into an iPhone X, and the VoLTE and VoWifi toggles were visible and could be turned on without a hitch.

As such, the issue now rests squarely with my Nokia 8 not having the correct configuration to register IMS on the Telstra network and get a VoLTE connection. The staff member also told me that manufacturer firmware updates for phones of other brands have got VoLTE working.

Could HMD Global please add the necessary Telstra configuration to the Nokia 8 firmware at the next update?

• user389 user389
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Strictly and nerdy speaking, Telsta did not rule out a potential SIM card defect yet. - They should try a replacement SIM in your phone to make sure. - For reference please post the information regarding baseband, kernel, build, firmware versions etc. from Settings > About phone. I can compare the info with a TA-1012 in Denmark where VoLTE works out of the box...
    --
    Hans
  • mpwong mpwong
     / 
    Telstra put my SIM into an iPhone X, and the VoLTE and VoWifi toggles came up in settings. Whether calls would've actually been carried on VoLTE was another thing. (We couldn't tell because the iPhone X seemed to show VoLTE status differently from other iPhones due to its bazel-less design.)

Baseband: MPSS.AT.2.0.c4-00851-8998_GEN_PACK-2.139528.2.146371.2

Kernel: 4.4.78-perf+ Thu May 31 13:11:46 CST 2018.

Build: 00WW_4_88B_SP01

Security patch level: 1 June 2018
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭  / 

Thanks Matt,

It's the same version numbers as my European phone.

The best answer by ShannonD in Telstra's support forum yesterday:

"Network features, such as VoLTE that require an IMS (IP Multimedia
    Subsystem) activation, are only currently supported on our Networks by
    Firmware approved by us."

Don't hold your breath while waiting for "this list is updated as we add support for more handsets ..." - My Nokia 6 is still not provisioned for VoLTE despite a similar reply from my operator, after I bought the phone from them, a year ago.

Best regards,
    Hans

• mpwong mpwong
     / 

Telstra gave me this reply: 'We have confirmed that BYO devices are unable to use VoLTE for prepaid
    services due to incompatibility issue.'

This is despite them saying they have enabled VoLTE for prepaid users in April 2017.

I don't know what they did with their backend IMS service (which VoLTE runs on). A friend of mine, who has a BYO Galaxy S8, got VoLTE with Telstra postpaid.

• user389 user389
    ✭✭✭  / 

"I don't know what they did with their backend IMS service (which VoLTE
    runs on). A friend of mine, who has a BYO Galaxy S8, got VoLTE with
    Telstra postpaid."

Telstra approved BYO Galaxy 7 onwards for VoLTE, so that is as expected.

Also please note, Telstra can't migrate the phone to VoLTE if you have Call Select, Call Manager and/or Mobile VPN on your service.
    (VoLTE is tied to HD Calling).

I hope their staff checked that already?

It's up to Telstra, or for you to buy a phone that's supported by your operator.