You've probably read about Evenwell, what about NBC?

Hi all, Prompted by people on the forum questioning all the systems apps we have on our phones, and by a few, such as @Muser,  who mentioned NBC, I had a look to see what I have no my 8 (Android 8.1, December security patch):* com.nbc.AccountProxy.overlay.base.s600ww * com.nbc.apptwins.overlay.base.s600ww * com.nbc.datatransfer.overlay.base.s600ww * com.nbc.filemanager.overlay.base.s600ww * com.nbc.music.overlay.base.s600ww * com.nbc.screenshotplus.overlay.base.s600ww Now, I think that many of these (maybe all?) are actually intended for the Chinese market!

You've probably read about Evenwell, what about NBC?

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 24
Hi all,

Prompted by people on the forum questioning all the systems apps we have on our phones, and by a few, such as @Muser,  who mentioned NBC, I had a look to see what I have no my 8 (Android 8.1, December security patch):
  • com.nbc.AccountProxy.overlay.base.s600ww
  • com.nbc.apptwins.overlay.base.s600ww
  • com.nbc.datatransfer.overlay.base.s600ww
  • com.nbc.filemanager.overlay.base.s600ww
  • com.nbc.music.overlay.base.s600ww
  • com.nbc.screenshotplus.overlay.base.s600ww
Now, I think that many of these (maybe all?) are actually intended for the Chinese market! Maybe @singhnsk can confirm some of them? So what are they doing on my phone? Note that this is only the list from within the phone UI, I haven't checked via adb.

Which NBC apps appear on your HMD Nokia phone?

Cheers :)

Comments

• petrus petrus
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 27
    I have Android Pie v. 5.110 with a January security patch and I see the following:

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @petrus! So you have the same as I do plus screenrecord, which I presume is a screen recorder? Worrying?! :worried:
  • petrus petrus
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 28
    Yes, I'm worried. It's an uncomfortable finding, but nobody has yet confirmed that Nokia 8 is sending data. We'll see how the investigation will turn out.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Yes, we have to wait and see. I would still like to know who NBC are though. At least we know who Evenwell are, even if we don't think their software is any good. Not knowing who NBC are is more worrying to me, especially when there appear to be a bunch of apps on my phone which I cannot use and should not (AFAIK) be there!