Nokia 8 USB-C port starting to fail

Hi everyone, Unfortunately I've confirmed that the USB-C port on my 8 is starting to fail.

Nokia 8 USB-C port starting to fail

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  / 
Hi everyone,

Unfortunately I've confirmed that the USB-C port on my 8 is starting to fail. The connection is not always made, "charging" disappears from the screen or sometimes quickcharging does not engage. I have tried the same cable and the charger with another device and there are no problems, which for me confirms that the 8's USB-C port is starting to fail somehow, either becoming enlarged and losing connection or is has come slightly detached from the PCB.

I know this has been reported a lot on other models of HMD Nokia phone, does anyone have experience of it on the 8?

Tagged:

Comments

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Turn the phone off and clean the port out with a blue interdental brush :smile:

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Already tried that one, no improvement :(
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    2 year warranty on mine, surely that's the same for everyone?
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Yes, for me at least. I think I'll have to go down that route.
  • ignas ignas
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Oh cool, so that's another thing to look forward to. I'm less and less convinced this phone is going to last me to two years :D There's a concerning amount of wiggle from side to side and top to bottom, but all fine for now. Funny an old Galaxy Ace I have has almost zero movement in comparison. 
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    My other USB-C device has a very solid connection, the USB-C plug goes all the way into the device and there's no wiggle. On the Nokia 8 the plug is still protruding a few mm after insertion and there is some wiggle - not that I routinely test this, this is not the cause of the fault!
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  /  edited March 2019
    Have you tried IPA (isopropyl alcohol) 100% type is best. To clean the contacts properly.

With your phone off and cable disconnected.

Dip your cable end plug onto the IPA insert into phone then remove, do this a few times. Dip the end again, insert, remove  and so on
    Do this several times.

Dry both gently with hair dryer.
    The IPA will evaporate very quickly.
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    On my wifes Nokia 8 the USB C plug clicks in to place really positively, mine has always just shoved in with no click so there clearly is some manufacturing differences.
  • ignas ignas
    ✭✭✭  / 
    mrbelter said:
    On my wifes Nokia 8 the USB C plug clicks in to place really positively, mine has always just shoved in with no click so there clearly is some manufacturing differences.
    I feel like mine started losing the nice click with time. Sometimes it's okay, other times I'm trying to make sure I inserted it correctly. I think the clips are inside the cable end, so maybe it's just that part wearing out. Maybe depends on how I insert it. 
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Like i said mine has never clicked not even with the supplied Nokia cable or with Anker Powerline+ or Anker Premium cables, shame really as i do like the feel of the click on the missus phone and no that isn't a euphemism :lol:
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Mmmmm, IPA! :D 100% proof?! That's a strong brew! :D

I don't have any IPA but you reminded me I have some other contact cleaner which I've tried. No obvious immediate improvement though, I'll see how it goes.

Cheers :smiley:
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Touch wood, it seems to be a bit better. I'll see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion @Mick1965 ! :smiley:
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Glad you seen some improvement. :)

Trick is the removing and reinserting while it's still "wet" with the contact cleaner or IPA.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Unfortunately it was short-lived. It was temperamental last night and didn't charge overnight, I had to lay the phone on the floor with a flat cable to get an emergency charge this morning.
  • Hugh Matthews Hugh Matthews
    ✭✭✭  / 
    My original cable still almost clicks into place, as does a new one I just got with a Zhiyun gimbal. But a cheap adapter I bought in Germany has to be held in place with gaffa (duct) tape...
  • DibyaXP DibyaXP
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Look like I have to stay away from my Nokia 8 from frequent charging
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    These are the best cables i have used by far if anyone is looking at buying a new one.