Pro Monochrome

Hi, I've been enjoying taking photos on my Nokia 9.  Aside from "that" error the camera app is pretty good, I use the Pro mode alot and it has the minimum I need.  However, it would be good to have the option to take the true Monochrome images with Pro settings.  Maybe add it as an option to the white balance selection?  Indeed having the Pro settings on most of the other modes would be useful to, so rather than having a separate Pro mode there maybe could be an option on each mode to turn on the Pro choices.

Pro Monochrome

Hi,

I've been enjoying taking photos on my Nokia 9.  Aside from "that" error the camera app is pretty good, I use the Pro mode alot and it has the minimum I need.  However, it would be good to have the option to take the true Monochrome images with Pro settings.  Maybe add it as an option to the white balance selection?  Indeed having the Pro settings on most of the other modes would be useful to, so rather than having a separate Pro mode there maybe could be an option on each mode to turn on the Pro choices.

Whilst I'm at it there could be a few more shutter speeds e.g. 3s, 6s.

Regarding that bug, it seems to happen when you change settings whilst it's still processing the last taken image.  Certainly toggling the depth map option to off when it's still processing an image taken with depth mapping makes it go bang.

Anyhow back to taking photos :-) 

Comments

• Hmmmm bit frustrated with the camera app today, loads of crashes.  Was using it quicker today and seems like making any settings change whilst it is processing the previous image makes it go bang.  It then gets into an inconsistent state with the modes and settings, e.g. shows as Pro mode but takes an image as per Photo mode, and goes bang again.

The camera has loads of potential, but the app still feels beta.  I'm sure this will improve though. 
  • Weird but good.  Camera app worked fine today, no crashes at all.  Maybe it doesn't like Mondays or April 1st.

• oshea davis oshea davis
    ✭✭  / 
    Been taking the Nokia 9 through the paces and its been working 9/10. Only 2 crashes in many days of photo taking. Today took about 200 photos (Raw and jpg) for about an hour and no issues. 
    But I agree, it needs a pro mode for monochrome.
    Also it needs an HDR pro mode for tripod uses. 
  • Yep, Pro monochrome options would unshackle the camera.  Was hoping the last update might contain it, but fair enough that it instead concentrated on the stability of the existing functionality.

Still though Pro monochrome settings should be a high priority as the shutter speed it uses in monochrome mode is too slow.  To cleanly freeze everyday motion  (e.g. people walking) you need a shutter speed of 1/250s or more, preferably 1/500s.

The camera has monochrome sensors that gather more light allowing faster shutter speeds.  It has three of them to give higher usable ISO which allows faster shutter speeds.  But unless you can actually set that shutter speed it's all a bit pointless.

Monochrome with fast shutter speeds would be a great unique selling point.  Unleash the monochrome! 
  • Does the phone behave much differently in pro mode as compared to monochrome mode?

Is the monochrome mode just capturing the image without the two extra rgb lenses (an effect that we could obtain manually by desaturating to get nearly true monochrome images) or is there something in the image combination algorithm that might make it better to use monochrome mode instead of removing the color information afterwards?

Does it for instance change choices for using the five/three camera's to either improve the depthmap or using the camera's to improve the dynamic range? Is there ever a reason to use monochrome mode instead of pro mode (except convenience to get a bw image directly)?

---------------------

Currently I am almost exclusively using the monochrome mode because for my feeling it produces images with great contrast and dynamic range. But I am not sure whether I am just fooling myself and maybe I can just better make the images with the (colour) pro mode, because that would give me more control as well it would give me the colour channel that might be useful in post processing, or whenever I would have wished a particular photo in colour instead of bw.